• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

boodee

I have never fished the red river before, and would like some info. Where's a good place near, or in fargo to put in that's pretty easy water for a 16ft deep v? Not looking for the biggest cats in the river, just enough of them to have some fun. thanks in advance for any info. Scott

Ed could give you the best advise but Johnson Park in Moorhead just North of the beetplant is probably a good spot. No dams to worry about and a fairly nice swing around and parking. Lots of the out of staters launch there when they come up for the cats.

The gate is allways open unless flooded and should be no problem now.

Good luck!

fred

North of town from MBJ Park is a good bet, as is South from the Mid-Town Dam. The stretch South from Mid-Town to the South Dam is an easy run, and offers some good fishing. Few danger spots as most of the channel is 10' or better right now. A lot of it is 12-15' at this time. Just stay out of the drift line where the clutter fallows the channel and your going to be cool. Keep your speed down and your eyes open and to the front.

Under speed 99.9% of the time on a river, by the time your electronics see's a thumper, you just hit it. So your eyes are your biggest asset. Good polarized shades really help pick out problem areas before you hit them.

Start fishing shallow and work deeper as you approach mid day. In the heat of the day try shady flats on the inside of bends if it get really toasty out there. They may be in 3-8' especially focus near flooded grass runs.

Good fish'n!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

boodee

Thanks alot you guys, I plan on spending a weekend with my brother there real soon. We have a fly in Canada trip set for the first week in Aug. Hopefully we can hit the river before that. Thanks again for the advice. P.S. just in case you are wondering my kid nicknamed me boodee when he was 2years old and it kinda stuck. Scott

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jgrimmz
      I had a good opener, also with ten. We should have taken a lot more, but shooting, jitters, and other factors prevented it (as usual). For us, Sunday was really slow, but still managed to bag a few. 
    • Parmer
      That's a good idea thanks. 
    • fish_time
      We love it when we catch a muskie, but it can be such a grind!   
    • mbeyer
      Just got back from five days on the lake. We were fishing for walleye in the end fun with limits already taken. We are on an island and the dock bite was very good. Slip bobbers with either rainbows or chubs. Also, walking the island and casting tubes was also productive for larger walleye. Off the point of the island, under dock, near rocks. I guess that means we caught most of our fish shallow. Wind was our friend, to a point. Didn't like some of the gusts but wind blown shore and points were key. Follow the wind.   Smallmouth were not shallow. We did work some shoreline but did not find those fish up shallow. We did run into some smallmouth on the points, etc deeper while fishing for walleye.
    • gimruis
      I had a good opener.  Two friends and I got 10 ducks and with some better shooting we could probably had 12 or 13.  It was significantly better than the last two openers and certainly better than I expected.  We had nice mixed bag of wood ducks, mallards, teal, and even got a shoveler.  It was very comfortable out there too.  Was nice not to sit there and roast away in my chest waders this time.
    • leech~~
      If that is a new 2018 rig I would call the MFG and see what they think?  If you have a warranty on it, that may invalidate it? 
    • sheephead2
      We have been up since Saturday and all we got are small walleyes.  Very windy today.  Hope wind goes down  
    • pikeandchester
      Quite a bit slower today. Only saw 2 teal between yesterday and today, which  really surprised me and most of the wood ducks seemed to have moved on. Didn’t stick around long enough for the geese. Hope everyone had a great weekend and good luck!
    • monstermoose78
      How is it going today 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Carp30, Vermilion is starting into the fall transition period now that the water is cooling down. The bite can be either great or tough during this period. Yesterday we caught walleyes as deep as 44' and as shallow as 10'! Location and time of day is the key! We caught walleyes deep using short snell Lindy rigs,( 2 ft.), with minnows, The shallow walleyes hit best on the same rigs using 1/2 crawler. Sand and rock mix or transitions are the key areas right now. Necked down areas that have deep water and adjacent sand flats are almost always good now. Cliff