• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

This spring we seen a lot of talk of drought here in the region. Well all I can say is, "It's kinda wet for a drought year"?

wink.gif

Recently we have been hit with one heavy rain after another causing high water. The past week or so was difficult to access on most of the Red here stateside. Since then the Red has fallen back into it's banks and is clearing very nicely.

We should see a steady increase in catfishing activity now. Spawn has come and gone, high water fattened them Piggy's up, now they are back in the River ready to Rock.

Mid July through tell late fall is top time to hunt Red River trophy catfish. The best big cat'n is fast approaching on all of the Red River basin.

The Fall walleye bite generally slowly begins some time in September. The bite progres's up the Red and will just get better as it gets cooler. Most seasons we are stacking walleye well into November.

Rivers are well known for rapid change, especially the Red. This makes it all that much more interesting, and challenging. The best is yet to come, things are heating up quickly. "Change is Good"

"Piggy's are my business, and business is good"

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-11-2003).]

The bite was darn good yesterday. The key was location, up tight to shore on shallow shady shelves. High and tight far outproduced snags or channel fishing.

Cuts and shrimp worked well. Some of the big girls came out to play too.

Looking good guys and galls!

------------------

Scoot

Thanks for the updates, Ed. I was hoping to fish the Red this week, but it looks like I'll be heading to Bemidji on Wed. and fishing out there. I'll get on the Mighty Red next week.
Have you been using frogs much? I'd assume they're not hard to find this year with all the water we've been getting.
My boat is fixed up so if you want to go out and hunt toothy critters or eyes to the East of here, the offer still stands...
Caught any real piggies lately? I'm getting a real itch for some big ol' cats- I'll have to get down and try my hand at your area of expertise very soon.
Scoot

We boated a few 17 to 26# cats the other day, and a mess of eaters. The bigger girls are feeding better now.

Found a few walleye on the city drains fishing slip floats and Angel Eye JR's (Gold)tipped with power bait. That was cool, been a while for me on any eye's.

Goldeye is starting to out-do shrimp again now that the water is clearing up a bit.

Bullheads Anyone? I know where to get gobs of tiny 4-5" bullheads for them Flattys. Just in case any Fargo guys are looking for them. Try the Mid-Town Dam just South of the North boat ramp in the drain pool area off the lots. A chunk-a-crawler and a split-shot will do it, right off the shore. wink.gif

------------------

Canuck

Was suppose to guide today but there was a no show therefore the other guide (Rob) and I were FORCED to put a couple of hours on the Red ourselfs to just fish for fun. Well after about 2 1/2 hrs the tally was me 12 and Rob 11 but he caught the biggest (29.5 lbs) my biggest was 27.8 lbs. There were several in the 20 to mid 20 range with I think only 3 from 12 to 15 lb range with the rest all high teens low 20s. It sure is fun just to fish for fun. Couldn't believe it, the weather was fantastic, warm, clear sky and little or no wind to swing the boat and very very few boats. It's hard to believe there weren't more boats out with the action these kitties are putting on right now. We fished in 5 different locations and caught fish in every one but we did stay in the main channel and used suckers and a single goldeye.

Eddy, U are missing it, it actually beat corking today, the numbers may have been down from corking but the size sure was there for so early in the season, guess they are eating well, thanks for sending us all that flow earlier in the year.

Ya-ya sounds like a hoot, go ahead..rub it in.

Wish I could run up but I will be busy here this weekend and early next week.

I also get to watch Shanons dog while he is out west in Montana trout fishing. She is a good pooch, well trained, loves the boat too.

I hope Shanon does not expect me to wash all that Red River mud off her when she jumps in.

------------------

Scoot

Ed,

I'm at my parents tonight and my dad's got a new blank here that we both think may work for you. Call him and he'll give you the low-down on the blank.
218-891-4415
Scoot

Captain B.R.K

Canuck, what part of the river where you fishing when all this action took place? I wouldn't expect the whole river to be giving up those big kitty Cats? Maybe?!?!

Canuck

I am not sure if you know what we call bouy 38 & 39 or not but they are the red and green bouy just north of Lower Fort Gary, then about 50 yds south the Fort and the last spot was infront of the spillway, well just ahead of the spillway about 50 feet. Fished 38 & 39 today for about 1 1/2 hrs and landed 9, they were alittle smaller, more in the range of 14 to 22 lb range, actually caught a Freshwater Drum only 3.2 lbs though. Used fresh goldeyes today and they just loved them over the suckers. Lots of goldeyes up by the fish ladder.

Scott, I finally caught up with Rod. We talked for some time, he is a great guy Eh. There are few guys who know half as much about good rods then him, I am certain of that!

Sounds like I owe ya a big one too Eh? wink.gifThanks a bunch Scoot!

This "Cork'n Sucks" Special will be one gorgeous stick, can't wait to put it to the test.

I can dangle it under Canucks and Stu's noses. See them drool a bit. grin.gif

Thanks Bud!

See ya on the river soon.

Ed

------------------

Scoot

Holy crap! I never figured it would happen!!! I'm glad you got ahold of him.

Yup, you're very welcome. I figure I owe you big for all of the tips and help you gave me this past fall and winter and on this site before that.

I'm not sure when he'll get it done. Maybe this weekend, but maybe not. He's headed back up to LOW on Sun or Mon and hopefully he'll finish it up before then. However, I know he has a lot of rods to make right now. He'll get it done in the near future, I'm sure.

I mentioned toothy critters to you before. If you want to give it a shot with them, I'd be happy to take you out. I lost a 47 or 48"er last night with my Roberts Wrap- the first real test the rod has had. The fish came off due to the net, but the rod managed it beautifully. I have to admit, having that big fish fully load up the road- I could definitely tell the diference between a traditional baitcasting rod and my Roberts wrap. I'm in love! I doubt I'll use another traditional baitcasting rod in the future.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 07-18-2003).]

I am busy this weekend with clients, but I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a interesting trip to me!

I filled your Dad in on my crank'n cats deal. He was very interested to give it a shot, expect him to be trying it soon. wink.gif

------------------

Scoot

I'll believe it when I see it. Getting him to change tactics is a bit like pulling teeth (right Dad?) Also, getting my parents home from LOW for long enough to fish catfish is increasingly difficult. Pretty soon I won't see them from May to Nov unless I'm up at LOW. I guess I'll have to go visit more often! grin.gif
Scoot

Scoot

Ed,

When's a good time to stop over? I've got a little something for you to take a look at.
Scoot

I am hanging close to home today, drop by later if you can.

Got your message Scoot, drop by when you can.

How was the fishing last night?

Eh, there is a catfish fry at the Red Bear deck starting at 5:00 today. It is a part of the new Tuesday River Festival days. Some other cool stuff going on too.

------------------

Rick

Hi Ed,
did you get my replies?

Howdy, I went on a fishing trip with Backwater eddy earlier this spring and fished the southern part of the Red in Fargo, but we ended up having some nasty weather. I was wondering if there were any nice fishing spots on the red river in north fargo area besides the north dam. Thanks for any info.
Austin

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-22-2003).]

Austin4005 when was this trip? We have had our share of rains this spring but so far I have not been rained out. If you told me your name or emailed me maybe I could place the handle with a face?

[email protected]
------------------

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-23-2003).]