• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

redhooks

My girlfriend and I are going to visit some friends over in Crookston next weekend (Mar1st)and I'm hoping to get out and try the river for some cats or whatever else is biting. My friend hasn't lived there long and has never tried fishing it so what I am wondering is where is a decent place to try for some cats or eyes in the crookston area? Would be be a better bet to go over to Grand Forks and fish there? What do people use to catch cats on the river and if we do catch some is the river clean enough to eat them? Thanks in advance for info.
redhooks

Scoot

Red,

By far your best bet would be to hire Ed Carlson for a day. He'll save you time and lots of wasted effort. If you're not a very savy winter river angler, I'd suggest heading to I.C. Muggs and having a beer rather than wasting your time and energy (unless you give Ed a hollar).
Be dang careful on the Red Lake (not the Red in Crookston- Red Lake River). Lots of current in some areas and bad ice that results from it. If you decide to go, the fish are great to eat- water's fine.
You're looking for deep holes- if you don't find them, you're wasting your time. There are essentially five really deep holes between Crookston and Grand Forks. Unless you get around them, like I said- head for Muggs.
Ed's e-mail addy is: [email protected]
He knows where the holes are and he knows how to fish them. Give him a call if you want to catch fish.
Scoot

redhooks

Hey Scoot- thanks for the info and advice, I'll pass it along to my friend to help w/ the gameplan. I'd like to hire Ed for the day (he's clearly the local guru and I enjoy reading his posts) but both my friend and I are poor-post-college-kids and do-it-yourselfers so we may just try to find one of those deep holes and give it a whirl ( a bad fishing is better than...)and if it doesn't work out I'm sure we'll find some bottle bass at muggs. As far as safety when on new water-I'll make sure we're on safe ice and probably fish where someone else is/has before because I always want to live to fish another day wink.gif. Would you or anyone else have insight baits/tactics that work well for cats on the river? Thanx again and Tight lines!
redhooks

Scoot

Redhooks,

Who's your friend in Crox?

Shoot me an e-mail- [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 02-18-2003).]

redhooks

Scoot you have mail!
redhooks

ibwhnt

hey Scoot, I know of one hole between Crook and Fish. Your going to have to show me where the other ones are this summer, and I'll show you some on the red. If you ever make it this way this summer. Going to have to try get you on the river up here I've only been tryen for two yrs now.

Scoot

I just haven't gotten up there much for fishing in the summer. I'm not avoiding you in purpose, but it's tough to get up there with a rod in my hand. For some reason the wife seems to think we're supposed to visit family members for some silly reason. grin.gif
Did you get an e-mail recently from redhook looking for info. about fishing up there on the Red? I referred him to you if he was going to make it over to G.F. Actually, I referred him to Ed for guiding, but he didn't sound like he could swing it. Too bad for him.
If you get an e-mail from him see if you can answer his questions.
Scoot

ibwhnt

OK scoot heres the deal. Next time you come up this summer bring the rod. Tell he your going to visit you family, but its on your mothers side. hehehe think we can get that one by. I have not received any email as of yet. I looked more into guideing on the river and it sounds like the coast guard is going to start cracking down on the non lic. guides. So paying the 1000.00 top take the class, the test, sign up for a drug program, and staying in a motel for a couple days isn't worth it. I'll guide but only for the cost of bait and beer. And when its hot they go down real REAL good.

redhooks

hey Guys- redhooks here, I still want to make it overe there next weekend for cats but my partner hurt his back and may now be on the disabled list for awhile. We may not get a chance to fish the river but I appreciate your advice and willingness to help and hope to contact you if we end up trying it. Thanks agian, good luck and tight lines!
redhooks

Scoot

Maybe next time, Redhooks. Give us a shout when you do make it over.
Kent, I like your plan o' attack. I actually might be able to sneak that one by.
Scoot

redhooks

Thanks Scoot- glad to see FM'ers willing to share some advice and hope that I can do the same for you and others. Good luck and tight lines!
redhooks