• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red River Central & Headwaters Region Report

Dud,

My plan is to be up there the second weekend in Nov. Any chance of you guys holding off until then? I'll be in the woods for the next three weekends hoping to stumble into a big 'ol buck with my stick and string (bow). It'll be colder than a witch's you-know-what, but that weekend in Nov. should prove to be good timing (I hope).

Ed, if you're looking for a fishing partner in the next couple of weeks, give me a hollar. I'm loaded for bear right now with frogs, suckers, tubes, jigs, and cranks... just what the doctor ordered!
I'm hoping to cash in on another one like last night. Tomorrow I'll get a chance to give it a go.
Scoot

Yup........slow again tonight.

Did meet a new FM.com reader, that was cool, nice guy too.

Fish'n good, catch'n poor.

Nice night out, sounds like that may change soon.

Scoot,
I know you told me on the phone that you were busy Thursdays. What time do you get done on Thursday night? I haven't fished the Red in 12 yrs or so in the fall and am considering running up to hook up with you if you're interested. If you don't get a hold of me today, I'll be home most of the day tomorrow with the kids as we have MEA this week.

MJ

Ed,

I struggled too last night. Was that your rig at the North Dam? I thought it was your vehicle, but no Ed was to be seen.
Was it just me or were there way too many people at the North Dam last night? I've been catching my fish elsewhere, but thought I'd give it a try since no one had been there when I've driven by lately. However, it was grand central station last night. After trying there I want to my other "hot spot" and caught absolutely nothing.

MJ, Thursday is out for me. I have class until 6:30 and then I'm off to schmooze the mother-in-law. I'd be in seriously deep doo-doo if I skipped out on that deal.
Things are not working out for us to fish together, eh?
Scoot

I'm considering going to Orwell and either floating or walking some of the river between there and South of Foxhome like we had talked about earlier. I may also go wader fishing elsewhere for 'eyes. So many things, so little time.

MJ

I was there Scoot, I was wondering down river looking for a piggy.

I soke with other guides up and down the Red and they say it has been slow this week.

Hope the moon turns them back on soon.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT,
I'll be home most of the day tomorrow. Where/When can I contact you if I go?

MJ

P.S. I don't have a work number or cell for you. Email before 3:00 today or call me tomorrow sometime in the A.M.

I currently live in the stone ages and don't have a cell phone. Work number is 701-231-8624. I'll be home until 7:30 in the morn. and will be at work after that.

Just wanted to thank Ed for the tips last night, It was good to finally meet the man behind the advice. I'll let you know when I land that piggy.

thanks again,

Ross

MJ,

If you go, talk to me first. I can give you a couple of butt-kicking tips for both walleye and smallies. Also, I'd appreciate it if you would bring your gps (assuming you float it- the only way to go!!!) I'd like you to mark a spot or two and let me know what the lat and lon on them are.
Scoot

any idea's on how this snow will affect the eye's, can't make the bite any slower than its been the last few days, is this going to prolong that perhaps?

Seek & go find is all we can do when it is slow. Low flows and clear water may be a big part of this patern?

After chatting with folks from all over the midwest and Canada the past few days, the one thing I hear most often is,it's kinda slow.

We are getting into the time where numbers of walleye may be lower on any given outing, but big fish are very possable.

Live bait soaking or verticle jigging becomes more of a option as the water temp falls, for most this is the way to go.

I like to keep with the minnow bait style cranks on the move tell they land on the ice, they always produce the biggest sumo eyes for me. Keep them cranks running s-l-o-w & stready, the big girls do not want to chase them too far in the cold water.

Keep the faith, dress warm, enjoy what is left of the fall, and hang a piggy in front of a camera, then let her go.

One good ~THUD~ and a slow night becomes a night to remember in the fall!

wink.gif

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Ed,

I was out in the woods proving once and for all that the deer are clearly smarter than I am. No doubt about it... with no formal education and a definite lack of critical thinking skills- deer are a whole lot brighter than me.
Any report from the water over the weekend?
Scoot

Darn smart@ss deer, they think they know everything Eh.

Been slow, a jig and minnow has been the best deal for me over the past few nights. If you get one to whack a crankbait, odds are it will be big.

The Sheyeene has been good to me, on locations far to the South of where we fished on or last outing.

The Hunters Moon may turn them on over the next few nights?

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

I haven't been on the river for 1.5 weeks. Any new word on fishing, Ed? Is it picking back up or does it continue to be slow?
Scoot

The jig-n-minner bite has been good at dusk and dawn. Some crank'n action if you work it and keep them VERY SLOW.

I got a nice bunch of eaters last night, feed them a lot of minnows to do it, picky buggers eh.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Traverse Bay was our destination Saturday. Caught a limit of smaller eyes (up to 22"). Tried something that worked a few years ago and surprisingly it worked again.... black 3/8 oz. jig and large fresh frozen minnow. It outfished everyone else in the boat. The jigging action was 1-3" off the bottom with a hold just off the bottom. The bites were either aggressive or non perceptable. The afternoon shut off with the north wind.

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

Anyone been out? I lost my wheels a little while ago so I haven't been out playing. I should get them back and will give it a try as soon as possible.
Scoot

went out Monday evening, me and a buddy got 5 decent eyes on cranks, all between 22 and 26 inches, nice fat fish, threw em all back. still looking for Mr. (or Mrs.) Piggy

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a VERY good bite tonight, several big piggys in different locaton, enough very nice fish to say it was a good bite in general.

I plan to hit it again early on Saterday morning and see if they are still on the chew. Same stuff as I recomended before, jigs and big cranks (Silver black or black & white Bombers, Salmo gold Stings were hot too). All the big girls came on cranks for me tonight.

Hope it lasts a few more days, snow on the way they say, Sunday night just may be white.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I gave it a shot for about an hour and didn't have even a nibble. I'd like to give it a shot after dark tonight, but I'm locked into more wife stuff.
Scoot

Dang it!!! I wanted to give it a shot, but got roped into "girl stuff" by my wife. I'll give it a shot later today and maybe a little tonight. Will report later.
Scoot

• 3 weeks later...

(Red River of the North Central Region Fishing Report 11/27/2002)

First and foremost I would like to highly recommend anglers do not wonder on the ice on the Red River yet, it is not safe at all. Any of the adjoining feeder rivers that have substantial flow would be included in the recommendation.

Fluctuating river levels produce cave ice and pockets on the shoreline and can be very serious hazards. Ice on these systems will be inconsistent and extremely dangerous at this time. I would also highly recommend discussing this hazard with children prior to the Thanksgiving Day holiday to avoid potential disasters.

Fishing is now in the gray zone between ice fishing and some residual open water opportunities. Anglers may yet get a fair bite on the dams during the day for pike, or walleye in the evenings. A sucker Chub or larger fathead minnows rigged either on the bottom or on a jig may be the best-bet overall. Shallow running minnow baits that suspend, such as a Smithwick or a Husky Jerk may produce well on larger fish such as pike or if you lucky a big walleye, keep them slow. The water clarity is near crystal clear so the low light bite would be best for the walleye action.

I wish all have a happy and safe Thanksgiving Day Holiday.

><sUMo>

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com