• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Red River Central & Headwaters Region Report

Fall is here for sure now. A chill in the air beans being harvested, sugar beet harvest is starting to roll, and the walleye and sauger are starting to show on the dams.

All in all the bite is slow yet, although patience and determination will pay off big in the end. Just be sure to keep cranks and jigs running on the slow side and sooner or latter you will connect with a walleye.

Channel cats are still feeding, slow but feeding. Smaller cuts of goldeye are working well, as are a frogs, that is if you can still find them. The cats & walleye do not hesitate much when they find a frog; they sure dig them hoppers.

The early day and evening bite will become more common as the days chill and the water temp drops. The water temperature on the Central Red River is 52 and will likely be near 50 by the weekend. Remember keep them cranks and jigs working S-L-O-W and your odds will go up.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

limitedout

I am coming over to MB Park on sunday for some relaxation and some catfishin'. hopefully it won't be pouring. loking forward to a few bites somewhere on that river. cigar lit fish on!

The Red on the North Dam past MB Johnson section is VERY low, so if your boating be very very cautious.

I chunked out a new prop there the other day, number 5 now for this season. I'll keep the shop busy rebuilding props for a while this winter.....DOE!!!

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Scoot

I fished around the north dam last night with narry a bite. Nothing.

Ed, did you ever find a prop-shop you're satisfied with? If not I have a suggestion for you- T&J prop shop at LOW. It's a good hike there, but between me, my dad, and my bro we could run some stuff back and forth for ya. They do a very good job and are reasonable in price.
Scoot

limitedout

Ed, thanks for the low water tip. I keep checking the real time water data gauge at halstad and it was low there of course also.
maybe i should just fish from the bank by the access.

I got a tip on a shop in town that I plan to check out. If they do not work out I may take you up on that Scoot.

Scoot I got a tip from Dennis Flom that the walleye are stacking up in the River nearest to his place, I think you know where I mean. He has been catching the pesky buggers on cutbait while fishing for cats, that ticks him off. LOL! Maybe you need to help keep them eyes busy so he don't get bugged by them as much?

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

scotty B

Hey does anyone know the best way to hook a frog on? I fished the north dam for about 4 hrs in the rain last night got quite a few bites but we could not get them to take the whole thing just the head i was hooking them by the leg.If anyone knows that would be cool. Thanks scotty B

------------------

scotty B

Thanks ED I am going to give it a try down there again today. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by scotty B (edited 10-04-2002).]

CANOPY SAM

Scotty,

If you think those might be walleyes that are short bitin' you, and I think they probably are, try this. Either use the smallest frogs you've got, or chop those bigger frogs into three pieces. Two hind quarters and the front half make a frog last through a few more hungry walleyes too! I'm pretty sure that the eye's in the Big Red are scent feeding anyway, and they aren't gonna care if supper has been sliced up for them. I've done this myself many times, and upped my hooking percentage by a lot. Sometimes a whole frog is just a bit more than a walleye is interested in swallowing all at once - give em' smaller pieces.

Scoot

Scotty,

Where are you finding frogs? I've looked for some in the past few weeks and haven't found any.
Scoot

The bait dealers are getting lots in their minnow traps now, so they have some on hand. As they start to hit the water and the temps fall they get harder to locate Scoot.

Some times you need to tip over a few rocks on the shoreline to find them, or in bull rush piles.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

scotty B

I spent about an hour and a half looking under concrete chunk's by the north dam last tues.They looked as though they were going to bury themselves pretty soon though.I think i am going to give it a try again today hopefully it will be better this week but i had a friend on fri who caught a 5 and a 10 pound walleye. I hope it will be me today.Oh yeah i guess d&h bait has live and frozen frog's.

------------------

[This message has been edited by scotty B (edited 10-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by scotty B (edited 10-07-2002).]

We were on a walk about looking for sumo eye's last night and did not do so great, better luck tonight maybe.

BUT..when we returned to where we started from I dropped off my fishing partner and pulled off headed for home. My fishing partner Kurt Frankhauser walked down to the dam to see what the anglers were up to. A angler had a huge eye on and was wrestling around in the backwater trying to get the big Mama up on shore.

Kurt called me latter and said the angler did manage to get the gut hooked walleye in and it was a solid 10+ sumo walleye. The guy made a mad dash to his vehicle suqueling and hopping around like a happy kid.

I am not sure if that piggy will end up in the pot or on the wall, I am betting it went in the pot. I am not sure what he used for bait, he was so excited that would have been a lost cause to ask.

By the way, that was at the Mid-Town dam at dusk if anyone is interested.

Just go's ta show ya, it pays to hit good spots again on these fall nights.

Scoot

I fished the North dam with frogs and suckers yesterday. Overall, it was generally slow. I finally managed a small northern and a small walleye- both on suckers. It sure felt good to get that rock-solid "whump" on the end of the line and find it to not be my jig banging into a rock!
Scoot

scotty B

Where is that mid town dam that is not another name for the south dam is it? I have been trying to find a map of the red online showing depth's and dam's hole's and such.I know the fealing of hitting those rock's by the north dam i think i used to keep scheels in buisness lol.

Scoot

Ed,

I wanted to make a milk run last night, but I had a meeting at 7:00 that I couldn't get out of. I've got a couple of thoughts about exactly where to stop on the run. I think I'm going to try head north tonight and see what I find- I'll hit each spot for about 15 minutes and move on.
Scoot

The midtown Dam is right down town at the Dyke East Park, South of the 1st Ave Bridge.

When I recommend fishing the dams, keep in mind that the other good areas may be within 1 mile from the dam.

Scout about and you will find other less pressured spots near by that may be better on certain nights. Bridges are another choice spot worth working.

Seek and go find them walleye, because they really do not want to find you.

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Scoot

I caught a couple of nice ones last night- nothing huge, but in the mid-20's. I used a technique that I'd never used before- Backwater Eddy showed it to me.
I thought it was a goofy way to fish and had my doubts, but fifty inches of fish later I decided it wasn't so goofy.
Thanks Ed,
Scoot

Milkdud

Scoot, do you have a job or do you just fish and read the fishing reports? Just kiddin. Hey, Cal, Woody, and myself are heading to Rainy River tomorrow, any chance you will be up in the area this weekend? Might be a little early but we are going to give it a shot. Later

Milkdud

Yup, Goofy is what I do best Scoot.

Mama always says, “Goofy is as goofy does”.

I am not afraid of borrowing ideas and tactics from other angling venues to get results for walleye. I am not much of a bass fisherman but I do barrow from the bass book of tricks if I see it has potential, same with trout tactics, or even muskie.

T&A is almost as fun as fishing proven methods, maybe more?

I gave up dismissing other folks "Goofy Tactics" long ago, I watch and learn and barrow what works, or adapt it to other situations.

Eh...I just like Goofy!

grin.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Scoot

Dud,

Stop in at Ballards and buy my parents a beer on Sat. night. I think they'll be up there by then. Dad will be able to give you the scoop on what's shakin' on the water. He should be able to put you on some fish.

As for me, no I won't be up there. I have to work this weekend (yes, that is a response to your smart-a$$ comment).
Scoot

ibwhnt

Scoot, are you going to make it up here catfishing with me before the water turns cold. Oh wait it is, well maybe next summer you know all you have to do is call me and let me know your coming the day before so I can set it up. We have to hook up during the summer period. Say I would love to have you email me that goofy way of fishing I might like to try up here if you think it would work. Going hunting tonight with you Bro.and Kolby until later.

Eh, Scoot?

Was that "Goofy" method one involving standup jigs and a sumo “Millennium” tube body? If not you may want to give it a try, working very well for me these days/evenings.

A combo of a 3/8 hvy forged hook standup jig (Like we used chucking frogs) and the large Millenium "Bass Candy" tube bodies, in white or green. They swim well over junk and flow naturally on a slow retrieve. The walleye have been wolfing them up when they snub hard body baits in the same areas. You can use them as is, or with a minnow tucked up in the tube for extra scent.

Ya know, I just may have found a "Frog Friendly" alternative to frog run flog flinging? Kermit would like that I think? The frog run is basically done now although the bulky bait bite is still producing on the shallows.

Give it a try and see what you think.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-13-2002).]