• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just returned from Lockport, one word, FANTASTIC, my back is torqued out, my carple tunnels are flared, my hands are raw, all kidding aside, the fishing was absolutely fantastic, our fish averaged 17 1/2 pounds a piece, biggest 25 pounds, and for all practical purposes it was non stop action. As usual Cats on the Red, Stu McKays place was first rate. Flow has slowed down, 3 oz did the trick, any quality bait did the trick Dave in Walker

Sounds like you had a blast. Stu is a great guy and they run a class act resort.

Were the gulls feeding heavy on the dam? Did you see them picking off fish on the surface?

Ed

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-14-2002).]

A lot of gulls in the area flying very, very high, did not see any gull activity by the dam, just a lot of kittys busting the surface, Dave in Walker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the tougher the weather the better the bite appears to be the rule on the Lower Red River in Canada. The slow bite of last week has turned around by the reports I received late last night.

Often this is true in the fall up North, and also here locally on the Red River, weather is everything, wind direction is often critical, especially up North.

Jigs and cranks are working well. Do not be afraid to use dark colors in the mix with the standard hot florescence often used on the Red River in the fall. In fact my favorite color is the Purple Metal Fake Cotton Cordell Wally Minnow #7 & #8 for trolling walleye, day or night. Another is the Clown Wally Minnow and the Electric Banana.

Other hot tickets have been the floating Ghost Minnow rigged on a Lindy No-Snag sinker run with a 4-5' leader, work them slowly over the dunes or rock points. Ripsticks are another option with the Lindy & leader rigs. The Wonderbread pattern has proved productive, as well has the Purple.

Looks like a "Worser da weather da better da bite" type pattern has developed on the Red. Bundle up and hit the river, it may pay off in a wall hanger of your life plus a tail to go with it.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

I fished the Selkirk area on Sat & Sun. Overall, it was slow going, but it sounds like it was better than it had been for the few days before we got there. We saw some nice ones caught and managed 4,5,6,6,7 lb. fish in our boat. The only problem was that those were basically the only fish we boated.
I'd imagine in the next week or so things will really begin to happen up there.
Scoot

Woo..Wee..huge walleye have been caught the past 2 days up on the Canadian end of the Red.

Like 11's- 12's -13's and yes even a SUMO #14. Yup-Yup...Big eye's for sure.

Cranks and jigs both have been producing, the big monster came on a crank.

Sumo's for sure Eh!

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

Hit and miss is the expression that best describes this years bite for many anglers that I've spoken to. I've personlly caught my share of 8-9#ers but the double digit sumos aren't there yet as in years past. We had a year similiar to this one the last time we had an el-nina fall/winter. The bite actually was actually better in November than October. Typically this kind of fall sees lots of variations in temperature and barometric pressure. As an example it was in the low 70's yesterday and today its in the 50's. The bite in this context is far from consistent. I've found that if the weather holds for a least a couple, three days the bite becomes more aggressive and predictable. In general we're seeing more and larger walleye as the season progresses but with a little less consistency than we are used to seeing on the Red and Winnipeg rivers.

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 10-11-2002).]

Dan,

Sounds like you're fishing with a couple of buddies of mine on Mon. They're good guys and will be easy to fish with. Be prepared to have your brain picked! Be sure and compliment Mike on his "very nice" equipment.
Scoot

Scoot... Spent a day out on the water with your buds. They did pick/extract/probe my brain for the little that it's worth. Really enjoyed their company. Walleye fanatics to say the least. The fishing however was slow. We did see a few good ones caught but they weren't on the end of our poles. This year has been a bit like that...hit and miss (with more missess than I'm used to!). Nonetheless it's a pleasure to fish with folks who have experience with walleye and their vagaries!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Word is the lower Red is starting to show walleye and sauger action through the ice.

North of the Selkirk bridge up to the lake reports some decent fish.

Ice is forming faster now with the -0 temps.

The central and Headwaters regions and most of the upper Red is not safe yet. BE CAUTIOUS!

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com