• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Date 7/29/2002
Location Water Red River (Central Region)
Temp Stage Flow
75 12.7 970
Technique ~ Cut baits~

The sUMo cats are in the feed bag!

Fresh cut or flash frozen Goldeye has been darn good to us this past weekend.

We (C&R) 11 channel cats over #20, another 28 or so over #10, and many more #3-10# cats in the mix.

Just keep get'n better and better by the week, just gota dig that, yup-yup!

Some folks are having a hard time locating the Goldeye right now for bait.

Fortunatly I have all I need, and plenty more where that came from.

It pays to scout for bait ahead of time and keep good supply handy.

Frogs so far are not very easy to find in any numbers in my area, too much field cover, they will show up as soon as the grain harvest starts.

Soon frogs may be the hottest ticket to punch a big sumo piggys clock here on the Red River.

If anyone has vacation days to burn, or can sneak away for a cat trip this week, it would be a great time to do so on the US central region of the Red River, sumo cat time.

We~We~We~ ~ Go Piggy ~ ~ ><sUMo>

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

(Red River Central Region Report)
Big cats on the prowl on the Red.

The past few days have seen the biggest cats of the season on the headwaters and central region of the Red River.

Today we caught easy limits of eater sized channel cats and C&R 3 33-34" cats, the biggest C&R channel cat of the day went 37 1/2", it was a real solid sumo piggy.

The big sumo cat was caught by Tyler Pemble of Scranton Iowa who also on a past trip was fortunate enough to catch a big cat that won the C&R division of the In-Fisherman's Master Angler program in 2002. I bet he and his Dad John will be entering again this season by the looks of the past two days catch?

Cut Goldeye continues to produce well as do frogs. I am finding by paying close attention to details on river structure you will up your catch considerably. Transitional structure in mid river channels have been producing the largest cats overall.

Lets hope the storms passing throughout the region tonight don't mess up the bite or the river.

Good fish'n and God Bless.

Ed Carlson

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Ok,I've read about 'em on this forum,and seen 'em in the fishing mags but have never come close to catching even a medium sized eater cat so I decided to take action. Today my boys (gradeschool age) and myself went fishing with Ed Carlson on the Red River in north Fargo.My youngest son caught a 32" and a 28" cat.My other guy caught a 28" and I caught a 34" cat (the first fish of the day and my first ever cat) and the last fish of the day a 36.5" cat.Sumo Piggies baby!All were C&R.Also caught were several cats in the 22-23" range(five of which were selectively harvested).The biggy piggies were caught mainly on frogs andd the eaters on goldeye.Catfishing is definitely cool!!!!!!!!My guys and I are hooked!!

Eh it was a pleasure fishing with you guys today, true river rats every one of ya! I think I hooked 3 new cat fisherman today for sure?

wink.gif

Next stop Leo.......piggy fall walleyes....can ya dig it?

grin.gif

I'll let ya know how things go up yonder too.

Thanks again guys, it was a great trip!

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Catfishing is good all over right now; they are feeding up right on schedule in preparation for a long winter.

Walleye action has been a bit slow and tough to pattern on the Red as of yet. Some of the tributaries of the Red River have been very good, look to deeper holes with marsh's associated and you will find walleye.

I am still feeding active fish frogs, both the cats and the walleye. Cranks are starting to produce on walleye as are jigs tipped with minnows. I have not spent much time with chubs on slip rigs, although that would be a very good option for shore anglers sitting on the head or tail out areas of holes in the evening.

The best fall fishing is not far off so don't get too hung up on hunting and forget to go fishing. We are blessed to live in a region where we can fish and hunt very easily in the same areas, on the same day, take advantage of this if you can.

Ed Carlson
Backwater Guiding
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Red river water temp yesterday was 66 degrees (19 celsius) a touch too warm for greenbacks to be on. Water levels are not too much off normal, maybe a wee bit higher than what we expect for this time of year see http://www.gov.mb.ca/natres/watres/river_report.html
Water levels and the release of water over the past while may have put the walleye bite off.... some think. Drum, bullheads, channels and sauger are biting throughout the day. Of all the walleye that have been reported as caught to date, they seem to have been all further down river in the Netley creek area. With a few more cooler nights and some northwesterlies the bite should pick up soon.

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 09-17-2002).]