• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

The walleye have moved into the spawn in the Fargo Moorhead (Central region) of the Red River.

Over the past 3 nights they have dropped a lot of eggs and walleye fishing will be a tough deal for a few days. The early spawners may return to the bite soon and they may react best to a noisy crankbait then a jig or rig. That has been the overall best producer for me over the past few nights and days.

The Lower Red in Drayton and Grand Forks should just be swinging into the peak bite over the next few days.

The Red was warming very quickly although yesterday slowed that process dramatically. I was on the water until 7 PM and it was a bit nasty, never a dull moment. If you don't like the weather, stick around 5 minutes, it will change!

The lower Red (North) would be my call for the best walleye bite in days to come folks. This nasty bit of weather was helpful to sustain the pre-spawn walleye bite in the North but didn't help us out much here in the Central or headwaters region.

The catfish are on the prowl, caught several yesterday on cutbait. They are sluggish yet and in days to come they will be more active.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

saintmark

Good day Sir Ed,
have a question? With the weather, time of year, do you feel/think the best fishing for "toothy critters" has come and gone, or
just around the bend. This is my first season of fishing on the red and I'm unsure of myself as are probably some others. your insight on the river is most appreciated. I feel my technique is "fair to parly cloudy" so any past experiences at this time of year is welcome.
Turkey hunting is now calling. So my fly rod must be replaced with powder and shot. I shall check in from states away to see your opinion. Thanks StM
PS (editted) I did read your post prior and thought the info was great.

[This message has been edited by saintmark (edited 04-19-2002).]

Well like I said, the best bite will be in the North over the next few days, maybe a week.

If you want to test new water head up the interstate and tyr Grand Forks or Drayton Dams. Be my best bet for now.

The local walleye bite is off for now.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Ed,
What are the walleyes doing now with all this interesting weather? Anything biting? Will they be active sometime in the future? I can only imagine these fish are now post spawn. Thanks

CD this is what we call the Post Spawn Blues, slowwwwwwww bite on most areas for sure.

Most walleye that are feeding are after dusk, full moon helps some, but the water is cooling instead of warming.

That makes for a tough post spawn walleye bite anywhere!

You figure them out, let me know, ok?

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

saintmark

Ya, that's probably mine!! I'm in KCMO with a very,very sick kid. Almost had to put him in the hospital. Had to stay because he couldn't travel. Hope to be on the red sat or sun.
Yes I do tie my own. That was probably my white reynolds I lost last week. Would be happy to show you how to use it.
Heard many gobblers, didn't see any. Only got to hunt two days because of my son. Oh well there's next year. Caught 15 or so bass on some farm pond in North MO. SeeYA StMark

I'm heading to Big Stone for the weekend, and if I catch a (one) walleye I will be very, very happy. They will likely have a serious case of lock jaw.
Thanks for the info..