• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No more trash man for me!

(FACT) - The #1 reason landowners shut down access to hunters and fisherman is littering and general disrespect for private and public property.
This season we have all witnessed more trash and waist on our lakes and rivers then ever before.

Has anyone seen a single violation issued? Not I.

Responsible sportsman and sportswoman pack it in and pack it out when they leave.

We pick it up; they toss it out again the next day. When you can pick up a 30-gal trash bag one-day and then return the next day and do the same, you have become the garbage man for the irresponsible and uncaring.

No more trash man for me, report all litter's, document the events, turn them in, press charges, make it stick, that is the new plan for me. Cameras, and camcorders are a handy tool, use them well. I will go to court to see them change their ways! Try me once and see.

Courts need to issue mandatory trash pick up sentences and a healthy fine after they do so. No more pay the fine and leave, pick up trash or sit in jail until you pick up your fair share of trash.

They will learn, or at least think twice, before they litter our woods & waters again. If they repeat, guess what, twice the pick time or jail, or both. I see this as the only way to change their individual habits.

Slobs beware, we will be watching, and we will no longer pick up your trash for you.

The tips line number is on ever license issued, use it or call the local police and INSIST on action.

If we don't we will see more and more loss of hunting and fishing access rights.

The outdoors we once hunted and fished will then be a trash dump for the irresponsible and the uncaring.

It is our choice.

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Well said Eddy!
Hopefully we true sportsmen can turn this major problem around and nail some or all of these slobs!

Hey, you should be proud of me, I picked up a few cats the other night, nothing real big, 15-23" fish. Just couldn't keep 'em off the hook jiggin' for 'eyes!

Later,
Skeets

Yep, I agree whole-heartedly. I've picked up many, many buckets full of junk at the North Dam in Fargo and everytime I seem to go back I see more junk left there by these slobs that BWE is referring to. They absolutely disgust me.
Scoot

Slobs are creatures of habit and therefore easy to catch. Most of the worst offenders do it time and time again.

I will be fishing for more them piggys this year. I have had enough of seeing the same beer can, motor oil dumping, and bottle chucking Bozo's slop up our recourses.

I always carry zip-lock bags and a telephoto camera and I will show up in court to testify if need be.

The local cops don't push it so we need to help out and make sure they KNOW we know they know about the litter situation!

Example- Last year someone dumped a pickup load of junk including a engine block, unopened mail, oil, plastic bags with credit card receipts in them and gobs of other miscellanies junk mail all with the same address in the boat ramp.

I knew the time frame down to less then 3 hours and I called the local police to look into it, and waited, and waited and eventually was forced to leave to get on with life.

They did show up, 4 days later, I get a call. “Ah where was that again, we will go take a look right away?”

Then they requested the park board to remove it with a loader. I followed up on this 4 times and got the same response. “There was not enough proof to link it to anyone”. GIVE me a break! There was proof everywhere that could have linked it back if they bothered to look and fallow up on it.

Someone needs to know WE CARE, and how much we do care.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

We suffer the same problem up here.... Lockport as you all know is a magnet for some of those people who make a mess. Our resource guys as well as our police give fines but it doesn't seem to help... I'd agree with the idea that if you're caught littering you should have to put in a day of community service cleaning up the area you defile. One thing I've seen done at Lockport is that our "young offenders" are made to pick up after the slobs already mentioned. I'm not too sure if this is a solution/good idea as they weren't the one to put the mess there in the first place! Let's all do our part as well to pick up after ourselves hopefully setting a good example for the rest!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 02-28-2002).]

this is very true, many people view the river as poluted and feel they are not hurting anyone. there shyould be more write ups in the local papers on how cleen the river accually is. silt is not polution, and out of site is not out of mind.

off the topic, did i hear talk about skeeter gettin into some cats. was this on the river already. throw us a bone

thanks Gregg Larson

by the way Ed sold Mr pike yesterday thanks for the interest and help

My eyes will be wide open for trash violators. I take home a couple pails of garbage everytime I go out fishin'. Just common practice for me. And like Ed says, some of the garbage out there is well marked with addresses. Seems like the problem is getting worse. Its no wonder the landowners are becoming bitter towards sportsmen. Lets clean up our fishing holes.

My personal major pet peeve is Styrofoam and plastic bait containers.

Oh boy, here we go!

Someone please tell me why do we really need Styrofoam bait cup containers? It adds expense to the bait dealer and also to us fisherman and not very environmentally wise.

A night crawler crib or a leach locker is by far the best method of bait storage. Paper core bait products made from recycled materials are at least biodegradable if the slobs do toss them into the water.

If the bait can't sit in a waxed paper core container for more then a few days, the bait is highly likely to be poor in the first place from old age.

I see Styrofoam bait leach and crawler containers everywhere and have picked up thousands in just a few years. Personally I wish they would outlaw the dam things or at least place a deposit on them high enough where they do not end up in the water.

A Styrofoam bait container will outlive you and I put together and likely our kids too. We will rot long before they do.

OK, I vented, I feel much better now.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

My pet peave is cigarette butts. I am sick of seeing people flicking out their butts on the lake. They must think those things dissolve in water. I have pulled up to reed beds in the summer to see pockets where hundreds of cigarette butts are packed in there. Can you press charges when you see someone doing that? How about the countless times when someone shags one ahead of you on the highway, and it rolls under your car and then into the ditch. I would like to get those people if possible.

I will admit I was bad for that in the past too.

A gall pall of mine cured me of it. Now I use a empty pop bottle or a bagie and dispose of the butts properly. If I am headed into the bush I make sure to tote filterless smokes to eliminate that all together.

Ya, quitting smoking completely would be best, I know. Working on it, but not as hard as I should.

I figure I could collect 356 new lures a year if I did!

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300