• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
united jigsticker

Life in the area

united jigsticker

Well this weather certainly is dragging out the inactive fishing period.

Most lakes have some ice...1-2 inches, and a good number of those still have open pockets of water on them in places.

A good cold burst of consistent weather can freeze up a lake and make it fishable within 4-5 days, keeping the "down" time at a minimum...But when Ma' Nature freezes it up, making them fish factorys just hard enough to keep the boat, and the fish trap, off the lake, and then warms up enough to prevent any ice production...That's when a guy gets the old cabin fever.

Hopefully the weather report will be stuck like glue and next week the temps will dip again, and stay there for good.

I think 2 nights of mid to low teens and we'll have some lakes available for some walking action.

It's one extreme to the next around here...Thanksgiving weekend usually marks the first of walking ice in this area anyways, however I have noted being in the boat as late as December 4th up here. Of course, I also recall having 6-7" inches of ice on Thanksgiving and having the snowmobiles on the lake...So only time, and the weather, will tell.

The panfish lakes should be hot once the ice is good to go, on green weed edges on the clearer lakes, and basins on darker bodies of water.

The Walleye holes should producetoo, rocks, weeds, and humps should be the ticket....

No I didn't forget about the tip-up guys...The ol' Toothy Critters will be chasing suckers and shiners too, and don't forget to try setting up a suspended sucker in the deep water just off a school of suspended panfish...Them Pike dig the Crappies as much as us fisherman do!

There's plenty of smaller lakes around that could be ready before some of the bigger waters are. A little exploring with a chisel might prove productive after a chilly mornings wakening.

Any deer hunters out there catching a read here? How did ya' do???

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 11-15-2003).]

kb1965

Well for the hunting my group went 3 for 3, we have 2 management tags left to fill. French lake, where I camp at, northeast of Atkin had 1 1/2" of ice on it the first weekend. Second weekend was not so good, loggers started clearcutting the woods I hunt in on tuesday and went at it all week, up to friday night. Will give it a try next weekend if there is any trees left in the area I hunted.

nice2th

Appreciate the updates jigsticker. Hunting was the best in years, deer everywhere. We hunt north of Cromwell and took 6 for 8 but couldv'e filled many management tags if we wanted to. Left a couple of buck tags open for the last weekend, just in case.

Looking forward to hard water season as I just bought a shack from a guy I know. It is red with a white roof and will be out on Eagle Lake if anyone wants to stop by and show me how to catch walleye.

knoppers

kb1965, nice to here you did good, I am on fleming lake, and I did walk out some distanst on the 2nd weekend of the deer season. I am sure the ice now is very bad, but the expected cold temps coming up, I perdict ice fishing the weekend after turkey day.
I will be up there, hopefully fishing or sledding, and if nothing else grouse hunting the friday after the holiday.

united jigsticker

Sorry knoppers but the ice that was on the lakes has all melted...You're starting over from scratch. If the lakes freeze before all this snow comes you can pretty much kiss first ice goodbye.

Such as life battling mother nature.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Greg Clusiau

Nice2th: I'm sitting here with a miserable chest cold and came across your handle while surfing around. Didn't get it for a second but then caught on and couldn't stop from laughing, which made me start coughing my head off. Great handle. Funny.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm