• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

knoppers

anyone seen any turkeys in the area around palisade?
I seen a flock of birds about 2 years ago, and was woundering how they are adapting to the area. I would think that with these mild winters, they would be doing very good, and hopefully establishing a turkey hunting area in the future.

Big_D

i have also seen a few turkeys around. the people that i go hunting with have a cabin up there and they have also seen many turkeys while they where driving. i dont know if they are adapting to the area but ya never know in a few years we might have a good populations of wild turkeys.

------------------
Big D

shadrapla

my dad did see one or 2 turkey near mallard lake fews year ago and i did not see turkey while i was bow hunting and rifle (deer hunting)i was hope to see it no luck

Riverratpete

I swear I heard a hen clucking last year during deer hunting, never saw it but have hunted turkey in OK and S MN and know what they sound like, This was closer to Emily though so I don't know if it's part of that reintroduction flock release in Crow Wing a couple years ago. Keep your fingers crossed for a couple more mild winters and maybe, just maybe we'll be chasin birds in the spring some year.

There are absolutly no wild turkeys any where closer than on the south side of Mille Lacs lake. these are all released turkeys that are dumber than rocks. Chances are very slim that they wont live long and even slimer that they will not reproduce. your not going to have a hunting season until the DNR releases some "wild" turkeys. call up Dave Dicky (the Aitkin county wildlife manager) and tell him that you want to see some turkeys around. By the way, it is illegal for you to release turkeys as they spread diseases that shouldnt be spread to wild turkeys (should we get some).

[This message has been edited by beretta_boy (edited 03-14-2003).]

Riverratpete

Just supossing that the turkeys that we have been seeing and hearing are illegally released birds and have obviously been surviving somehow, then the questions is, why hasn't the DNR released "wild" birds in the area if they can survive?. I believe I heard years and years ago that turkeys couldn't survive a minnesota winter north of the cities but we know know that that is wrong since they have pretty good flocks in the St. Cloud area, which if I'm right since I live in the cities is "north" of the cities. Just a thought while waiting for the ice to come off. < )////>=

knoppers

the dnr releases birds as far north as detroit lakes region. the area around aitkin, palisade, and Mcgregor are perfect turkey area. I have seen pheasants this spring as far north as onamia. there is no reason for not stocking turkeys in this region. we all have to address the dnr on our thoughts.

fishfearme

I've seen both turkeys and pheasants between Aitkin and Mille Lacs the last few years. There is a very stable population of both in the Mora area. Not too far away.

Fisher Dave

beretta boy ...

There are wild turkeys north of millacs .. I have no idea where you got your info. I have seen many wild turkeys in the time I used to spend between Merrifield and Cross Lake. There used to be a turkey farm north of Merrifield (white farm type) until a tornado wiped it out years back .. it was a sight to see...

But, we seen wild turkeys for a few mile radius around the farm all the time... I dont know if they were drawn in to the domestics or not, but they were there. I quit frequenting the area around 10 - 12 years ago.

Just because we dont all see them all the time, doesnt mean they arent there.