• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

does anyone have any info on water temp, or how the fish are biting on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th crow wing lake. i will be heading up there on saturay and staying at sunny point resort for a week. i will probably be targeting walleye and some sunnies. thanks for any help
fisher13

captain ahab, thinking about driving up to the fifth crow this weekend for fathers day. What was the hot lure for the bass and where was the hot spots if you don"t mind sharing, that is.Were you you catching walleyes in fifth or sixth.Thanks, gilby

gilby -
Actually, we caught a lot of the bass on 1/16 oz jigs (curly tails and split tails, yellow and white) while chasing bluegill and crappie. Black & yellow spinners cast into the shallows also brought a few home. Really, I think the bass will hit almost anything! The north shore of 6th is always a hot spot for bass, northerns, and walleye. The south shore in reeds also produces consistently.

The shallows in Rice Bay, in 5th, (just inside the lake from the outlet - the dam - produced our best bass. We picked up several in the 3 lb class. The lillys and weeds are not too thick yet to fish but the lillys are coming up fast. Also, we connected with several smallish northerns there. They are a blast on ultra-light!

We caught walleye in 6th, just north of the channel to 5th in 6 to 11 ft of water. They are in the weeds in the shallows. We used leeches and picked up an occasional walleye on our bluegill/crappie jigs also. Minnows also produced well for others

In 5th, the point across from Shady Lawn Resort is probably best but the west side of the sunken island near the north shore, near the east end of the lake, also produced several for some other boats - in about 8 to 12 ft of water. Leeches or minnows worked.

In 5th, at the point across from Shady Lawn, I had a fish pick up my crappie jig that I could not handle on my light bluegill/crappie rig. I never saw it but I'm quite sure it was a B I G walleye. I couldn't raise it enough to get a look but it pulled me around for about 5 minutes before it got tired of playing with me and took of with my jig. It was really BIG, whatever it was! The big one that always gets away :-)

Good luck.

------------------
Anyone see a white whale around here?
Captain Ahab

captainahab,Thanks for the very good info,I"ll fore sure use it. I really enjoy fishing those two lakes.We have always done really well up there,we spend are summer vacation fishing those lakes in july.Thanks again,can"t wait.gilby

I just got back from a week of fishing the 7th, and we found the fishing great. It was overcast, a lot, and rained at least once a day. Surface temp was mid to high 60s all week.
We got most of the 'Eyes, and all of our Crappies over by the old Boy Scout Camp.
Gills were active all over the lake. We didn't target bass, but got quite a few of 'em, anyway. One was 4 1/2 #. Fun catch on a ,light action rod, with 4# line!
Spend at least a day on 7th. You can launch at Green Vally Resort for $5.00.

[This message has been edited by Tiller (edited 06-08-2003).]

I just returned from 5th & 6th Crow Wing yesterday after 2 weeks fishing.

Water temp (on the surface) was in the high 60's, about 68 when I checked it on Thursday, June 5th, and rising a degree or two each day.

The walleyes seemed to be real active. We caught several while fishing for bluegill in the shallow weeds (6-8 ft.) including a 4.75 pounder. Also caught several in 11 - 15 ft over bare hard bottom. Leeches and minnows seemed to be producing a lot of limits around the area.

The bass are hungry and going after anything. We caught a lot of smaller bass while crappie and bluegill fishing.

Bluegill and sunfish were in the shallows spawning last week. We did well on 3/4 lb class bluegills and sunnies.

We never connected with the crappie. I think they were staging for going into the shallows to spawn. My guess is this week or next will be hot for crappie in the shallows.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

------------------
Captain Ahab

[This message has been edited by CaptainAhab (edited 06-08-2003).]

You can also boat up the river from 6th to 7th. It's open and deep enough to run the motor, but I would suggest a shallow drive position if your motor has one. The only place where we touched bottom was just downstream from the bridge at 7th. It's shallow and sandy and the motor touched a little.

It's a great trip, about 30 minutes or so, wildlife and scenery are very MN.

------------------
Captain Ahab

thanks for all the info guys ill let you know how i do on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th next week
fisher13