• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

king crappie

Does anybody know if coon lake the one just south of deer lake and larson lake, is accessible to get to, would sure like to try it
or would gladly pay someone to get permission
if it is a private lake. I know there is no public access, any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
Steve

DoctorB

You can get to it following the logging trails. The access is VERY steep. Never tried to get there in the summer.

king crappie

Doctorb,
Can you launch a 16ft boat at teh access, and do you go to larson lake campgrounds and where do you from there, also are there the nice bluegills in there, the old guy that told me 15 years ago has passed away, never got directions
from him, he told me there were nice gills in there, any other information would be very helpfull, waht time of year were you there and did you launch a boat.
Sincerely,
Steve c.

iland99

The old guy that you talked to was probably Leonard Lee, he used to go to our church. He passed away a couple years ago, but we have remained friends with the family and still go up there about once a year. The lake USED TO have some very nice gills in it, but over the past few years I've noticed more and more boats out there, and the fishing has declined considerably. In years past you could go up there for a 4-day weekend and not see another boat on the lake the entire time. Now it's not uncommon to see 3 or 4 other boats. The lake used to have some nice crappies in it too, but we haven't caught a crappie there for probably 3 years now. There are a ton of pike in that lake too. Not very big at all though. If it's a very wet spring at all it can be heck getting back there. We've had to leave early before due to rain, if it rains much you could be stuck there for a while.

CrappieGod

Hollywood, I don't know where you've been fishing out there or what you have been using for bait but didn't you get in on the pounding coon took this year???We caught at least 100 crappies out of there over the whole winter and they averaged a good 1lb and a half...seen quite a few others out there also....To answer the boat question....bring a canoe....best info i can give you...BIG SLABS...GOOD TIMES....

king crappie

Guys,
Are we talking the same coon, located just south of larsen lake campgrounds, how are the
size now days on the gills, and was hoping someone has some info on directions in finding
the lake or landing area, well i hope you guys released some of them large crappie back in the lake and only kept some for eating, its best for the lake. would like to try coon someday,
is there any houses or cabins on the lake itself, hope too hear back from someone.
thanks
steve

iland99

I've never fished that lake in the winter. I hope you didn't keep all 100 of those 1.5 lb crappies. It's bad enough if you did, but to come onto a public forum and brag about it like that isn't a very smart thing to do. That lake isn't very big and can't really support a whole lot of pressure. The reason the fishing is/was so good is because of the LACK of fishing pressure. Like I said before, the more people we see out there fishing the worse the fishing gets every year. That lake isn't Upper Red, and won't handle anywhere near the pressure that Red can handle. Now I know you have every right to fish where ever you want and keep your limit every time if you wish, but please, DON'T brag about hot spots on little lakes that can't handle the pressure. Especially don't brag about it on the internet. These forums get read a lot more than you probably think. Word like that gets out and before you know it, that lake will become another one of those that "used to be good".

I'll step off my podium now.

[This message has been edited by hollywood_pete (edited 04-15-2004).]

iland99

King, to answer your questions:

Yes, we are talking about the same Coon lake. There are two cabins on the whole lake, last time I was up there anyway, "ours" and one other. The gills are still nice but not anywhere near what they used to be. It seems like lately the perch population has exploded, maybe that explains part of the bluegill decline (size-wise). If you follow the outlet on the south side of coon through the bog you will come to little coon lake. We've tried over there a couple times with some success. That lake is DEEP. We had a 100 ft depthfinder on little coon one year and couldn't find bottom in spots. The DNR says it is 123 feet deep. Canoe would be the best way to access it.

rockhardinmn

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Pete is right about What he said about putting this kind of info on the forum. Pete i FUlly agree with what you said in your first post. i will say i kinda do feel you did the samething thou by giving out the info you did. Best option is to share it in emails.

dirk

Pete I second your opinion. We have the cabin just up the hill a ways on beatle(little coon) and fishing has declined quit a bit as pressure has increased. Its a very small habitat for those fish and the pressure it has been getting. We have also had three boats stolen from us. its to bad to see what people will do to destroy a littl piece of heaven

iland99

I'm sorry to hear about your boats, but it really doesn't surprise me one bit. I've only been going up there for about 10 years or so, but even long before my time Leonard had problems with vandals. Someone took a .22 and shot a bunch of holes in his canoe one year. They also shot holes in an old pickup camper they used to use as a sleeping shelter. Then some sick-o decided it would be cool to put a few loaded .44 rounds in the fire pit. Thank God Mr. Lee decided the fire pit needed emptying that trip. Who knows what would have happened otherwise. It's pretty sad that even up there you have to worry about that kind of stuff happening.