• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

One easy community spot is Pooles Bay on Pokegama. Lots of fish present. Sight fish to key on the better sized specimens.

I'm all for sharing the wealth, locally that is! It would be nice if some of you guys would include your e-mail address in your profile so that when a local guy asks for some good advice it can be sent directly to them instead of sharing it with the world. I'm no game hog or anything although it may sound that way. It's just nice not to have to drive all the way to red lake to catch a few nice fish. It's also nice to be able to bring my kids to some of the local hot spots and catch fish. Prime example, Fishin Sylvan with some friends around Thanksgiving. Pretty quiet, having good luck. Brought my kids there a week later 30 people on the ice in a fifty foot radius. Couldn't catch a **** thing let alone read my graph from all the interference. You may also remember how good the crappie fishing was back on Pools when we graduated, Gordy. If you remember it didn't take long, after word got out, till they were wiped out. That was back in the green box days. It takes even less time now that everyone is wired with the latest gadgets. I know this reply may annoy some people but it's allot more annoying when your sitting in one of your favorite spots with the kids whining about the lack of action and there is 20 guys sittin around you with a 612 suffix in front of their cell phone number.

One more thing. I have been fishing Pools for the last three days and I brought my kid there today and he had a great time. He caught 18 nice sunfish and I just caught and released. 18 sunnys was a good meal for the family and that way he thinks he schooled me pretty good. I did however notice since Gordy's post on Saturday night allot more people on the bay. Fortunatley most of them didn't seem to know where to go and were punching holes all over in front of the trailer court. One more bit of very wise advice for anyone who wants to fish this area. Be very careful of the ice straight across the bay from Lake View Terrace trailer court just to the east of the island there is a pretty good current there and the ice never gets more than 3-4 inches thick even in the middle of the winter. I don't have any personal experience with ice swimming but I've heard it sucks!!

guppy, I agree with the sharing of info. Posting it here for the world to see isn't wise if you want to continue fishing there yourself, but please let's not have this

quote:

20 guys sittin around you with a 612 suffix in front of their cell phone number

garbage. My dad lives in Remer, but has a 612 prefix on his cell so it's local for people from down here to call him for business. I know there are just as many @$$holes with 218 prefixes as there are 612, so let's not have any of this.
also, sunnies biting on big boy in 6ft water in the narrows. Nothing very big, but fun for the kids to look down the hole and see them bite. And then to see a big northern come in, that was some excitement for them.
10" ice on big boy, 8-10" on big sand. Should be driving pretty much everywhere next weekend.

------------------
big_fish_guy @ yahoo.com
My Hunting and Fishing page

Guppy-
I have a problem maybe you can solve for me. I grew up in (320) but i live in (952). I work in (612) and have a cabin in (218) Where can i legally fish? I really need to know because I have a new FL18 I need to try out. My parents still live in (320) so am I grandfathered in?

Well Mr. Guppy.
I am sure you are proud of the fact that you know the most easiest fishing spots in GR. Sylvans and Pooles have had fisherman on them since i was a kid, so get over your "Hiding from fisherman thing" Sometimes i think people post to keep people like you on those "community spots" so we can catch real fish in spots we have figured out. It does take some skill to find new crappie and sunfish holes. I am glad to hear you have been fishing three straight days in a community spot. Less people by me! Have a nice day.

Tread lightly kids... Ice is community ice, if someone lets a spot slip and you don't like the people there, search for new lakes and new spots. That's the fun of fishing in my opinion, the challenege, not the catch. Finding something on your own is more exciting than having someone else show you. Also, remember to keep only enough for a meal. Let the small guys and big gals go! Everyone is making good points and are entitled their opinion, but lets not get into a war. By the way, I'm a (218)... ;-)

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]

Be careful folks, ice on my lake (small lake 35 miles north of the Rapids) only has 5" of ice and is still "soft" around the marshy edges. Walking is fine but don't trust the 4-wheelers or snowmobiles.

Good luck and safe travels!

To share reports on where the fish are biting or not to share, a good question. My take is this. If I'm fishing a larger body of water I will gladly share my success with other people. Why? Two reasons, these lakes normally get fished heavy anyway and if you stop and get bait these are the lakes the bait shops send you to anyway. Second, not everyone gets to fish as much as I do so why not be nice to these people and share some information. I normally go to the small, out of the way, hard to get to lakes. If I find fish on these lakes will I share the info? No! Again two reasons. One, these lakes are small and can be literally fished out in one winter if too many people hit them and keep everything they catch. Two, I had to find this lake and I really enjoy fishing a lake when I'm the only one out there. I do fish the larger lakes also and will share on here if I do well. Almost all of my fishing is C & R anyway. As for the 612ers, remember not everyone can live up here. That's what makes the area unique. I never was a 612er and never will be. My daughter is now because that is where the jobs are. That doesn't make her an inconsiderate person, she grew up in avery small town and still has those values. I have met many people on the ice in my life as I love to walk around and visit other fisherman. Most are very nice people who will share info and enjoy just talking fishing. I have met a few, very few, who are not and then leave behind there garbage when they leave also, but these the exception. Sorry to ramble but hey lets be kind to the fishing men and women out there and share info whyen you think it's right. Good luck to all who venture out and have a Merry Christmas!!!!

My intent was not to give away a secret spot. I felt Pooles Bay was a well known Bluegill fishery and one that is not in jeopardy of being hurt.

My posts are usually not spot specific because of the various reasons people are upset.

I do not help out on this web sight to push a guide service or pump my name, just to occasionly help someone get some fish, in this case some "sunfish".

My apologies.

GF

O.K. so I was being a little hard on the 612ers and yes I admit I have also had to live there for economic reasons in the past.

Dogma, glad to hear that you know how to catch fish in spots other than the popular ones. My point was that it's nice to have somewhere to bring the kids where you know they will catch fish. I was just trying to say let's not give all the good local info away. I have personally spent a little time on the ice this year since I have only not fished two days since thanksgiving. Thank God for unemployment!!! So don't get to cocky cuz I work hard and pay my dues to find the fish. I totally agree about sharing the info on the larger bodies of water and keeping the smaller stuff to ourselves. Prime example, anyone ever fish Lundeen Lake about 7 years ago? Paper plate size sunfish at will. Word got out and I think it pretty much got wiped out. It's only about a 40 acre lake if that. Splithand is doing pretty good on the eyes right now from about 3-6:30, 21 ft. Out from Dirty Daves. Friends of mine have a spear house there and they have been seeing loads of bigger eyes in 10 ft. through the hole so a guy might want to try in shallower if your after some bigger fish. Enjoy the good fishin were having now cuz as we all know the critters seem to get harder to catch as the winter progresses. Good Luck!!

Well Mr. Dogma, Nice comment about keeping people like me on those community spots. I wasn't trying to start a war of words with anyone cuz it's easy to shoot your mouth off when you know that no one knows who you are. You don't know a thing about me and my fishing habits so keep your lame comments to yourself, poser. I'd love to compare notes sometime over a cold one but right now I've got to go catch some more fish.

So these places that got fished out after the word spread, it was the 612'ers that did it? Not likely, more like the locals pounding them day after day and filling their freezers. I've seen it with my own eyes. If youse locals would have an honest opinion about things, I think you would be suprised what the truth really is. Some of the worst game and fish violators just might be the guy next door. Then again, I sure ain't going to defend any citiot violators either.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 12-16-2003).]

Hey Gordon, I agree with you all the way. When a person says they are biting on a certain lake doesn't mean that everbody that drills a hole on that lake is going to take a
limit of fish out of it.As far as Lundeen lake, I agree. That is why you don't always give the little lake info on here. But hey what is wrong with a little info as far as helping other people. I'm not a guide or make any money off of fishing but I am a lucky person as I get to fish a lot, so lets all get along and share as much as we think we can share. Meet you all in Richies in Marcell one night and I will buy a beer and we will share all our lakes!!!!

Come on, it's all about the shareing. smile.gif Fish report: Caught several 16"-27" walleye, a dozen 14" slabs, and a crap load of pesky perch. Well one good thing was the perch were 12"-14"s!! All caught on Lake XXX useing a **** jig tipped with a ******. Man! You should've been there!!! .....In all seriousness. I'm a 715er, and was thinking about comeing up for the weekend. Dump a couple hundy into the local community and enjoy some fine MN. fishing......Nahhh, I wouldn't know where to go!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

i don't think the point is to hard to see here. c.i.b.l. it seems that you have missed it. there are many lakes in minnesota. if you would stay home because you couldn't find one maybe that would be best.
what i see is people waiting to see where others went, doing all the searching, and trial and error until they get lucky enough to land on a sweet spot. then they are just supposed to post it for the world to see here on the forum?? yeah right. over one million visits in one month last winter.
i do meet people via this forum, and have shared fishing spots with some of them.
i know over fifty people i bet that have gone with me either in the winter or summer, that i have met through this forum or another. how many people are we expected to share with?
my favorite lake for walleyes was mentioned in a popular magazine, and it was like they opened the flood gates. there are more people out the right now than there has ever been.
be careful what you post. i am.
i can see that the people who are not a stones throw away from god's country wanting to know every little tidbit of hot info they can get their hands on to make the most of their 48 hours of freedom. keep in mind, it's not allways about the catching, it's about getting out. if you do this, and keep on doing this, you will catch fish, and find spots. then you too will have a secret spot. i will also bet that after you go through the motions,and land on fish those of you who are not suffering from diahrea of the mouth, will not be so willing to let these spots out to the general public.
share general locations, tactics, and success stories. those lakes where you can keep kids busy all day long. just be careful, and understand what kind of impact you can have on a fragile lake when you post it's secrets on the internet.
GO FISHING!!

------------------
what??!! a hole in one??!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

[This message has been edited by jigglestick (edited 12-17-2003).]

Good idea, everyone stay home. I didn't realize at over 6000 acres , Pokegama is considered a small and fragile fishery! You're right about kids. Your kids love to fish and deserve to catch some. Mine dont? I totally agree that your little 200 acre lakes should be kept "hush, hush", only to be fished by those "lucky" enough to find it. But Pokegama? 48 hour getaway while adding to the towns economy vs. a daily pounding by locals that spend a couple bucks in bait and gas, hmmm. Is telling 50 other fisherman considered "diahrea" of the mouth? Or is 51? I sense that you regret telling anyone about your favorite spots. If you tell one, why not a hundred, is there a cut off line? I agree in many things you say. But I also think that if you don't want to share it in a public forum, that you should not talk about it in a public forum....At all. Do keep in mind, if fisherman X catches 0 fish because he doesn't know where to go, then fisherman X will spend o $$ ever again in your area. Or if fisherman X doesn't know where to go, he wont come at all. I hope the locals can support the economy. Then again, there'll be plenty of fish to eat! Never fished In Grand Rapids. However, I have dumped at least $1000 last year into your hotels and resteraunts. BTW, Are you in the hotel buisness? The reason I ask is that I stayed in a hotel right where hwy 2 W. comes into GR from Duluth on the right hand side. There used to be a truckers resteraunt on the left with great steak dinners there, I think they're closed now. I ask because I was talking to whom I believed were the owners, on a return trip from Red Lake. The fellow I talkled to had a jovial manner and was big into Red lake, haveing just returned himself. I always wondered if that was you.

------------------

Just Curiouse...
I was born in St Paul,I work in Roseville, Have an apartment in Moundsveiw, own a house in marcel, my mail goes to roseville, except for my car insurance, wich is registered in marcel. I am in marcel most weekends and most holidays. I also spend a lot of time in Blackduck. Am I a 218er or 651er? Do I have an Identity Crisis on my hands?

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

cibl..hey i like that,i never said a word about your kids, or pokegama. funny how someone can spin things to help prop up their arguments to suit them.
once again you missed the point. get a map, mapbook of lakes, pick up tips that others are willing to cough up(forum,baitshops,coffee shop etc), and show a little initiative and get out and fish. a little self reliance can go a long way.
if i want to, over the course of the last five years, take out approximately fifty people to various locations, that is my choice. good for them. if i choose not to post these hot spots here for the world to see, bummer for the likes of you. are you the kind to follow the crowd? the sheeple as they are refered? don't you know how to fish?
those who find a bite on a little 200 acre lake are lucky yes, but they most likely have fished a dozen other lakes til they found that bite. so the amount of luck is limited. it can be hard work finding fish. those kind of places can be devastated by crowds in short order. that is a big part of the point here.there is a big difference between 50-or 51 people, and telling the entire readership of a very popular fishing website the details of a hard sought fishing location. anybody who lives in an area such as this and respects it's resources has somewhat of an obligation to protect it's resources. if you can't understand that, i can't help you.
the resource is not for sale. your 1000.00 into the area buisiness was great. the couple of bucks that we only spend on gas and minnows? how about the thousands of dollars a year i spend on fuel and gas, in our local comunity. the thousands of dollars spent on maintanance, tires etc spent in our local comunity, the thousands of dollars spent by our family just in groceries right here!! propane bill...house car and pickup payments...yep you guessed it right here in our little economy!! don't give me that self rightious crap. let us bow down the next time you roll through town. this attitude like you are entitled, or you will take your ball and go play else where stuff don't fly.
you want to get in on the hot bite? try a different approach.
i'm far from anti social, but if you think people are obligated to devulge their special spots you are way off.
by the way, your sense of my regrets would only be correct if someone i shared a spot with came back with masses, and abused it. so far that has not happened.
one more thing..way off on your guess of my identity. i'm really not hard to find, if you are seeking me.
like i said, go fishing.

big island dude...i think that would make you an inbetweener wink.gif

------------------
what??!! a hole in one??!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Jigglestick, I do agree with you in many ways. My thinking is that it shouldn't even be discussed. If you found a little honey hole, great. Keep it to yourself and that would be the end of that. Nobody wants to hear a good report unless they can fish the lake, sort of like rubbing it in thier face. smile.gif

------------------

No you didn't mention Pokegema, others have though. If you noticed I posted before you. grin.gif

And another thing, No, I'm not "seeking" you out. I hope that's not the immpression you got. I met someone that looked like you, and through my interpetations of you, acted like you...That's all. No you did not mention kids, others have, something about haveing a place to take thier kids to catch fish, most admirable. Money which you spent in your community? Well a person can't LIVE for free. That's called paying the bills, much different than takeing a vacation, totally different. For the most, local money is earned in the community and then recirculated into the community. Tourists and vacationers are introducing "new" money into your community. The northern part of WI. is DEPENDANT on tourist $$$, take that away and the towns would be devestated. Local $$$ cannot support a service type industry. As far as finding my own spots, believe me I have. I buy maps, research, have contacts, basically I do put in a lot of legwork to find spots. I don't look for handouts as many others might do. 99% of the guys that fish with me are fishing my spots, they jump in my truck and put blind faith in where I take them. Usually very thankful in the end. To sum it up, keep it to yourself, nobody wants to hear about your good fortune on lake XXX. smile.gif PS: In the WI Forum under Lincoln County ice, I posted a tiny little spot which has been kept somewhat secret for years. Maybe I'll regret that I did this, time will tell. smile.gif
fa45e932.jpgfa45e938.jpg Ahh yes, Kids and fishing, you gotta love those kids!
------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 12-17-2003).]

Another one of those nasty 612ers here. Actually I'm a 763er, is that better? I have a place on Pok, spent thousands of dollars in the GR area, caught hundreds of fish between Pok and Deer, and kept less than 10. I fish for the fun of catching fish, not to supplement my grocery budget. Classifying people by their area code is stupid. Those of you that criticize us citoits-ever fish outside the 218 area? Is the surrounding area code ok? How about two area codes away? Given your strong set of values, I'm sure that none of you have ever fished Alaska or Canada. That would be a capitol crime, wouldn't it. What I have learned I've shared on this forum. Let's face it, the future of our fishing, our kid's fishing, depends on all of us looking at is a sport, not a grocery store.

i am not what i would consider stingy. how i look at it is, i classify the heart of my point into say three catagories.say i'm fishing lake xxxxx(wouldn't want to devulge any secrets wink.gif ) if joe stranger approaches me and says where is a good spot, i might say "the humps" good luck. the second level, is if someone i know asks where are they biting, i might tell him of a spot i used to fish quite a bit, and done pretty well on.
if a good friend asks, i might say "hang on, i'll tell the wife i'm going to be gone for a while )
i will share places and tips, but i have learned the hard way, and if i can help it , it will not happen again.
i think i'm done??

------------------
what!! i didn't have any corn!!?? jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Stingy is not a word I'd associate you with at all. Based only on the posts you've entered, I admire and think highly of you. THAT was the reason why I asked about you. As we were checking into a hotel, my girlfriend and I were talking to a guy who also had just returned from Red. I told my GF that I thought perhaps that was that guy "Jigglestick" from FM. I had seen your picture in the Red lake links. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about. smile.gif I do agree, as I said earlier about not "letting the cat out of the bag". Keep it under a tight lid and not for discussion. Sending folks to some of the larger lakes, which can be some of the best lakes, will provide quality fishing for anyone that wants to spend thier vacations, minimizing the threat of overharvest. I usually set up on a larger well known lake, then day trip to try out new ones. Winni and Red being base camps for the most. This summer I spent a week on Blackduck. After studying information on surrounding lakes I picked the ones I think will produce. My list included Benjamin(trout),Gull,Cut Foot Sioux,Bowstring,Pimushe,Rabideau, and Island. Fishing Blackduck mainly, I did make trips to a few of these lakes as well as Winni and Red. I can't drive by a lake and not wonder what kind of fish are in it, but that's me. Most people that I do know that fish, put very little effort into research of any kind. So I know what you mean. The beginning of this thread mentioned reports from Pokegema and 1 other lake, Balsam I think. Guppy pleaded to others not to throw around info like that. At that time those were the only lakes mentioned. I'm done. smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

well said jiggle and i lookat it like this idont mind sharein most fishin info and here is my reasoning i can put you on the the mother load of fish but that doesnt mean your gonna get a single fish. some of my secret hot spots are like that it took months of fishin to perfect the presentation that they wanted and nothing but that works so unless someone watches me close they'll never get em. just my to cents. you can put people on fish but that doesnt mean they'll catch any. and thats why its called fishin and not catching.
good fishin
grfm

Wow...what else is there to say....I am an out of stater that visits the vermillion, mille lacs, and leech lake forums all the time.....get great information and freindly replies all the time.....I currently have an opportunity to move to GR for employment reasons and thought I would check out this forum...eye opener for sure...sounds like outsiders are just that and should stay clear.....I am surprised but thanks for an insight on the area......first and last time visitor, sorry to bother you guys.......