• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

are there any baitshops in the grand rapids area that carry frozen smelt? we will be up several times this winter in the rapids area and we would like to take some home for spring pike fishing on the mississippi river down here in la crosse, WI

Bens in Grand Rapids had frozen smelt last winter ... would assume they'll have some this winter, too. Packs of 6 ...

I know Rapids Tackle has always had them in the past so I'm sure this year will be no different. They have a new location. They are on the West end of town on Hwy 2. A few blocks past Jerry's liquor shop on the same side of the hwy. Good luck.

Don't forget grocery stores, many of which sell frozen smelt in their frozen fish/foods section in bags of 30 or more for about $4. When I lived in Grand Forks, N.D., most of the stores had them. Still do, and I have a buddy there who brings bags along when we meet somewhere to fish, because you can't find frozen smelt in stores around Duluth/Superior. Never figured that out, since the big lake is full of them.

Might be some stores right there in the river city of LaX that stock it. And if you can't find a store that does, get a few buddies together and talk to the manager one at at time. It'll only take a few guys to convince him he can sell frozen smelt if he asks his supplier to put some on the truck. Power in numbers, we got it. grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-21-2002).]

thanks to all for your responses. we do have frozen smelt in the grocery stores here in La Crosse, but they are cleaned and table ready and don't work the same. I am hoping to find whole frozen smelt.

The smelt I mentioned are whole smelt, uncleaned. However, I've used cleaned smelt under tip-ups, and they work. But, like you, my preference would be for undressed smelt. A lot of the Grand Forks stores are supplied from the Twin Cities. I'd guess LaX stores are supplied from the same wholesalers, so there must be a way to get uncleaned frozen smelt in the stores.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-21-2002).]