• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

hampster

I have some relatives that have realized a life-long dream of having a cabin in the north woods. They are just north of Grand Rapids and I am coming up to visit this fall. I was wondering if those of you with some experience in the area would give me some suggestions for lakes/patterns for really any species of fish. I fish strictly C&R for everything but a few walleyes and maybe some spring crappies. Any general ideas of fun lakes to get a start on would be greatly appreciated. Hope to contribute to the forum in future years after I have spent some time on area waters. Thanks!

Steve Foss

C'mon, help this guy out. Remember when you didn't know anything and needed help?

yoppdk

Okay, okay!

One of the hot spots in the area these days is Splithand Lake ... both for walleyes and crappies. It's located just south of GR off 169. Primarily a round, featureless lake. Fish the drop off and the few pieces of structure you can find ... see DNR lake maps for some help here.

Pokegama Lake , also just south of GR, has a wide variety of good-sized fish. Best bet is to fish it early or late. Trolling Rapalas over 7-12 ft flats at night (moonlight best) is good.

Not far west from GR is Sand Lake and Bowstring Lake ... both are excellent for walleyes.

When you get into Grand Rapids, check with the folks at Ben's Bait on highway 2 or Rapids Tackle (also on 2) for best hot spots and locations.

There are also some excellent lakes for stream trout (rainbows, browns, splake) and lake trout up here. Bait shops can give you the low-down on details for those, too.

merc

Fished Bowstring with no walleye caught but the crappie bite is going real well. Two of us caught about 40 in a few hours all were released, just had some fun.

chucker

Hey Merc

Could you give a few insights into your crappie success on bowstring.

How deep, what time of day, location??

Thanks

merc

We were fishing late afternoon from 6 to 9 feet of water over the tops of the weeds. Using a flu-flu tipped with crappie minnows. Slow trolling along the northeast corner of the lake. The shoreline left of the north access. Nothing real huge but a lot of half pounders with a few a litte larger.

chucker

Merc

Thanks for the info.

Staying at Cutfoot Inn this weekend, if the fishing is slow on Cutfoot and Winni it sounds like a good backup plan.

Chucker

hampster

Thanks for the information. Really looking forward to spending some time in the area next summer.