• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Proposed camp ground near the mouth of the Partridge River

Got this in the mail the other day. Doesn't say how many sites, looks like parking would be on the Raps Rd/Black Bay Rd side. Sorgie, this is close to you, have you heard anything? Not the best photos, my wife texted me a copy of the letter. I tried deleting duplicate photos, but didn't work.Screenshot_20230301-194624.thumb.png.297f9744f3577de3d38e0cf8a8039a39.pngScreenshot_20230301-194624.thumb.png.297f9744f3577de3d38e0cf8a8039a39.pngScreenshot_20230301-194555.thumb.png.b62a0af4db9380d4c2d5228c8d0657c4.png

Screenshot_20230301-194624.png

Edited by CigarGuy

I've been doing some research about it. Nothing has been unveiled publicly about the plan. I assume it will get dropped upon everyone at the Planning Commission meeting, which is slightly amusing, because the PC's decision is final. So we'll all hear the plan minutes before they make a decision, with only a brief time to make public comments.

In general I support giving people access to the lake. I think it benefits the general public and Vermilion should absolutely be accessible to everyone. However, I do have concerns about the parking situation, the impact on the land and the water around the campground, and especially all of the woods behind the campground. Our neighbors VRBO'd their place for a year or two. In that time I caught people cutting down my live trees, dumping garbage in the woods, leaving garbage behind for bears to find, blasting loud music late at night, etc. Unfortunately, the land often suffers when people with no connection to it are allowed the freedom to do as they please.

I think that one of the Black Bay Road properties outlined is the one that often has huge flood lights facing the lake. Many times I've come around the point after dark, only to be blinded. It kills my night vision temporarily. I worry they will install even more lighting for parking.

I definitely want to know more about what is being proposed. I believe after the PC approval, they need to get the zoning changed by the Board of Commissioners.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

One of the members here sent me their plan. Hopefully, he'll post it here. Up to 47 campsites, only stated 11-25 parking spaces-numbers don't add up.  Large area for boats to dock on the river side. Several other issues. Sure doesn't look like those two small lots will provide enough parking.

Hmmmm, that is quite big. I was concerned about whether parking spill-over would affect the public landing at The Landing. That lot can easily fill up on busy weekends. I'm not sure that many people would try to find their way over to the Pederson Landing on the east end of Wakemup.

Don't know if it's the same neighbor, but this was posted on the Vermilion FB page. Lot's of good information and discussion going on there:

Board of Commissioners - Staff Report for Zoning Change Request:

https://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PQxbtxGUBQs%3D&tabid=57&portalid=0&mid=1011&fbclid=IwAR34nkmeTfRA8G11IJXi2qdbThTSlBwctIVnkeNWpEemputpBsg2ztnpju0

Planning Commission - Staff Report for Conditional Use Permit:

https://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jmrsIZVOUAQ%3D&tabid=57&portalid=0&mid=1011&fbclid=IwAR0livND5JdjC_JCMoqr1KuTlVBKvFeDUzBOCiM42IlCfvMt6-wuGt-ADvU

Email of the St Louis County Land Use Planning Manager:  [email protected]

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's it!  I'm a member of a couple of Vermilion FB sites, but not this one, just joined! Thanks...

Edited by CigarGuy

I had no clue that there were multiple sites. Admittedly I'm not a good user of FB.

There is an article in the Tmberjay about this. Shounds like a non profit church group. Boat in rustic sites.

A Minnesota nonprofit, known as Rough-N-It, Inc. is in the process of acquiring approximately 45 acres on a double-pronged, boat-access peninsula with the hopes of constructing a tent campground to allow disabled veterans or other groups to have outdoor experiences in a wilderness-like setting. That’s according to Christine Wryobek, who has filed applications with St. Louis County for a rezoning of the site and a conditional use permit.

If this helps any veteran disabled or not get out camping.... I am all for it.

Edited by LUCIFER

It doesn't appear that this approach was mentioned in the original proposal. I can't imagine much of a demand by disabled vets to use a primitive campgrounds, surely, not 47 sites worth. Guess, I could be wrong.  I'm 100% in favor of anything for veterans-both abled and disabled! I think this country is seriously screwing them over! That's a whole new discussion.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
13 hours ago, LUCIFER said:

There is an article in the Tmberjay about this. Shounds like a non profit church group. Boat in rustic sites.

A Minnesota nonprofit, known as Rough-N-It, Inc. is in the process of acquiring approximately 45 acres on a double-pronged, boat-access peninsula with the hopes of constructing a tent campground to allow disabled veterans or other groups to have outdoor experiences in a wilderness-like setting. That’s according to Christine Wryobek, who has filed applications with St. Louis County for a rezoning of the site and a conditional use permit.

If this helps any veteran disabled or not get out camping.... I am all for it.

Well there's a first. Lucifer for a church camp! 👹 😇

OK, guess I am not on right fb page either.    What's the name?      

That boat access parcel has been for sale for a couple years, along with a couple others.     I thought it was associated with the abandoned cabin in that bay, but map looks like it is carved out.

6 hours ago, delcecchi said:

OK, guess I am not on right fb page either.    What's the name?      

That boat access parcel has been for sale for a couple years, along with a couple others.     I thought it was associated with the abandoned cabin in that bay, but map looks like it is carved out.

Hi Del, I just sent you the link from FB. Hopefully, I did it right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently the campground applicant has withdrawn her application. I am guessing that the staff report coupled with negative public backlash is making her reconsider the plan. I doubt that it's done, unless as others hypothesized the land sale could have been contingent upon getting it re-zoned. They could modify the request and resubmit at a later date.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw that, good news for now! It was also mentioned that they didn't know for sure if the committee was still going to bring it up and discuss the land usage. 

Whole thing seems sort of weird.    Like maybe a bait and switch....   

47 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Whole thing seems sort of weird.    Like maybe a bait and switch....   

It sure does. Thanks to Big V Bobcat (Erik) for all your work on this!

If someone really wanted to keep other people from "using" the lake ...step up and buy the property. The whine like spoiled brats makes people look like a bunch of Karens. Or take the land from the owners like was done to the Indians. 

• Confused 1

If someone really wanted to state an opinion, they could step up by not resorting to merely hurling childish insults on an internet forum.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 3

Easy to say if you don't have any skin in the game.  It certainly appears they have ulterior motives!  If you don't have any idea of the layout of the neighborhood involved, access to parking/boat launching, docking, etc., probably best to remain silent. Isn't their old saying about remaining silent🙂

If you want to call me names like "childish" go ahead if that is what it takes for you to "feel like" a man. I am used to the white man calling me names. Your constitution calls my people "merciless Indian savages". Yes I have skin in the game, and it is Red as in Anishinaabe. I am taking the high road and am done with this thread.

Edited by LUCIFER

36 minutes ago, LUCIFER said:

If you want to call me names like "childish" go ahead if that is what it takes for you to "feel like" a man. I am used to the white man calling me names. Your constitution calls my people "merciless Indian savages". Yes I have skin in the game, and it is Red as in Anishinaabe. I am taking the high road and am done with this thread.

This has absolutely nothing to do with race! Quit playing the victim card. There's not a person alive today that has anything to do with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cigar Guy - I think Lucifer was someone who just wanted to throw stones on the internet. In fact, if he or she had paid attention they'd know that you and I had a pretty good discussion about treaty rights on this very forum a few years back. For someone who claimed to take the high road, Lucifer certainly walked through the muck to get there.

This whole debate really centers around the overall "plan" for Lake Vermilion. The county has a land use plan, there is a specific Lake Vermilion Land Use Plan, and even the Bois Forte Band has a Lake Vermilion Land Use Plan. On the Bois Forte plan, they have areas specified for only single-family residential use (with an emphasis on low-impact development) and other areas for Natural Resources (with an emphasis on conservation). The campground in discussion for the Black Bay peninsula is also slotted for low-impact residential use. I wonder how Lucifer would feel if a white man came in with a plan to put a public campsite one of those Bois Forte areas. From his talk here, he would shame anyone that opposed the commercial plan. It's good to know where he stands.

The reality is that this lake can be anything. It can go back to being completely natural if we stop building and remove everything that is already there. It can be a bunch of well-manicured mansions and condos like Lake Minnetonka. It can also be something in between. A lot of good people have tried to come up with plans that makes the most people happy without compromising some of the core elements that make this area beautiful. Allowing someone with a bag of money to come in and change that plan because it will make them even richer is not the intent of these land use plans.

That entire end of the Black Bay peninsula is natural and beautiful. I personally would be sad if a few cabins were built there, but that's what is currently zoned and at least they aren't allowed to be crowded together as they are in other parts of the lake. Adding massive docks and clearing out large swaths of trees to put in campgrounds is an entirely different story. It would be one step closer to erasing the natural beauty of the lake. I don't know what Lucifer is for, except hurling insults around. Too bad he/she is done with this thread.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

If you're looking for a campground near the mouth of the Partridge River specifically, it's best to check with local tourism organizations or park authorities for up-to-date information on campgrounds in the area. They can also provide information on the availability of campsites, fees, and regulations.

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you feel strongly about this, as I do, I encourage you to provide written input prior to the hearing and either attend in person or virtually via WebEx.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the hearing but I have submitted my public comments and plan to attend virtually.

• 2 weeks later...

The rescheduled hearing was today in Virginia at 10:15 a.m.  Hearing room was packed with citizens against the proposal and there were 53 attendees via Webex.  The hearing was not allowed to proceed as the applicant was mistakenly told by a county employee via email it was at 10:15 pm, not 10:15 am.  Sheesh.  I know a mistake was made but how ignorant do you have to be to believe a county hearing would be at 10:15 at night.?  I feel for those that took time off work to travel to a hearing that did not happen.  It is now rescheduled for May 11.  IMO the proposal is DOA but official protocols need to be followed.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

the applicant was mistakenly told by a county employee via email it was at 10:15 pm, not 10:15 am.

Yeh, right.  Sounds like a delay tactic to me.  They are probably hoping nobody will come to the rescheduled hearing.  I bet they received written and/or electronic notification with the correct time.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was online. Everything else that was published, including the public notice, had the correct time of 10:15am. The zoning board sure seems to know the applicant and essentially said that she has pulled these type of shenanigans before. They will notify her that they will not allow any more delays.

On the bright side, the meeting is delayed until the Thursday of fishing opener. The applicant has made it a lot more likely that I will attend in person. Admittedly after reading the new submission, I am less against the proposal since the design alleviates a few of my concerns. However, I still have many more concerns.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 3