• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was already worried about slush in the small bays, and now it's on the main lake. Let's hope that the cold weather holds off any significant snow.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Let's hope that the cold weather holds off any significant snow.

I sure hope it does.  I am planning on going up again next week to rake the roof and shovel the driveways, and block the fish house up more if needed.  Now there is a chance of 1-3" more Monday-Tuesday, and Wednesday and Thursday.  There is enough snow already for snowmobiling.  More snow will make the lake worse, plus impact deer survival this winter.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:05 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

I was confused, but saw that the 2022/23 Ice Fishing thread (linked above) is in the Members Only section. Can't we have it in the "Vermilion-Pelican Lake-Chisholm-Cook-Ely-Eveleth-Hibbing-Orr-Virginia Fishing Reports - Hunting" like all of the others?

I'm fine with that. I'll just have to figure out how. 

12 hours ago, Tolson93 said:

Anyone have some updated conditions? Wondering how bad/good it is up there.

I cancelled my trip up this week since I don't want to drive home in the Wednesday-Friday winter storm, so I won't have an ice report.  I heard that snowmobilers are finding a lot of slush on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay thanks for the update. Thought about making a day trip up there this Saturday or Monday. 

hoping it’ll heal up for the wheelhouse here next month. I’ll be ready to help plow some roads. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the updates. Looks like I may keep the wheelhouse off of vermillion this winter. Might still and try to come up once or twice with the wheeler and portable. Maybe after this warm up. 

dang storms messed the lake up. What do ya do though. It happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up last week on the west end. The slush wasn't bad but did seem to get worse by the end of the week. As JerkinLips posted, snowmobile travel isn't bad but the snow drifts make it a very bouncy ride. The snowmobile club put stakes into HeadOLakes and Wakemup on Friday, so I assume those well-traveled paths are smoothing out (maybe).

• Thumbs Up 3

Good morning!  We arrived at Lake Vermilion yesterday and decided to drive over to the Vermilion Club for an early dinner.  Our place is in Oak Narrows.  It is about 9 miles to the VC.  The ride on snowmobile was terrible.  Average speed was about 20 mph.  My Wife made the comment that this is the worst she has ever seen the riding conditions on the lake.  We have been riding on the lake since 2014.  So, be careful out on the lake especially at night.  I am going to try some finishing today on the West side and will post an update tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fishing on the West side was a little slow yesterday.  A few Jumbo Perch here and there, and the Northerns were having fun with the tip ups.  All and all a fun day to be on the ice.

Edited by travis_td
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just returned from Lake Vermilion.  Travel conditions by snowmobile have improved with the light fluffy snow that has recently fallen. The big hard drifts still remain, as do small pockets of slush, but overall riding conditions are better.  Where you can find smooth riding in wind-protected areas, I’d even say the riding is fun again. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Was up Tuesday-Thursday.  Travel by snowmobile was much better than 2 weeks ago, but still fairly bumpy.  Didn't hit any slush, but I didn't travel much off road.

There is only one road plowed out from McKinley Park now.  It heads toward the first group of fish houses to the right then turns toward Birch Island by that village.  This road was very wide and well cleared before last nights light snow.  Don't know if the wind caused much drifting with this snow.  The good road goes to just before the west end of Birch Island, then there is a small plowed road that goes behind the north side.  The slush spot from 2 weeks ago has frozen and the road is now straightened out there.  There are numerous small spur roads plowed off of the main road.  A few spurs about half way out hit some heavy slush, so that is still a concern if going off-road.

Good luck if you venture out, and be careful and courteous.  Enjoy the lake.

20230126_160625.jpg

20230125_170321.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.