• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have the Mayflies started.  We are coming up end of July and trying to see what the time line for them are this year.  Not sure how the late ice out would effect the hatch.  Thanks in advanced.

• Wow, ❤ 1

The mayflies are just starting in Frazier Bay.  We could see a few in the boat the last couple of days.  Then started seeing big trails on water yesterday and today.  I just got done cleaning 3 walleyes and they were full of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw more mayflies this morning at 6am.  That was in the oak narrows.  A few are emerging on the west side.  Weather has been pretty erratic this week. Big northerns have been active this week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

two different kitchens?     What's with that?   Not quite following the events so any update would be appreciated.    

That's a chunk of a fish, Dash 1. To get any better of a photo, you'd need a selfie stick. Congrats on the PB.

Edited by Hookmaster

Only made it out for a couple of hours Friday morning.  Couple of 6" perch, 12" eye, and a 15" smallmouth.  Missed a lot of light bites that were likely more small perch.  I did hook my PB stick at 12 feet long (photo attached).  I will blame my bad fishing on the mayflies as shown in the second photo.  Enjoy the holiday week and good luck fishing.

20220701_095036.jpg

20220701_063854.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, Dash 1 said:

Been on lake this week as well. Tough going on this side.  Staying at Pike Bay Lodge.  Between rain and wind haven't been out as much as I'd like, but still enjoying the time. Seen a lot of may fly larvae this morning.  Didn't have a lot of gas in boat so stayed close to pike bay entrance of big bay this morning.  Worked out well as I got a PB of 28.5.  Awesome fish. I'm not a good selfie taker. Happy 4th weekend everyone. 

20220701_082445.jpg

Great Fish and Congrats on PB!

Did he jump into your boat like that or was he actually caught by line and tackle? 🤣

White and silver spinner bait. Hit near the boat so I got to see the strike

• Thumbs Up 1

Headed up for the week with my son.  How is the walleye bite right now? Have mayflies shut things down?  Pike? Appreciate the heads up on the current activity! 

Our big pike came off of any sharp drop off point in 12-20' of water. 2.5 mph (large deep divers/bandits).  2 weeks ago.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:09 AM, Tominator692 said:

Had a great opening weekend. Son and I boated 51 walleye between Saturday and Sunday. Plenty of small stuff but no problem getting some nice keepers. This is a pic of the best weekend fish for us. 

47C693C8-4347-4C3A-8820-64C9FC3B958A.jpeg

You did a great work.. Keep going.

Any recent walleye reports for Big bay reefs, and islands? Historically these turn on for me in July running Lindy's with crawlers and leeches. Unfortunately this summer I've been tied up in a twin cities home renovation project which has really limited my Vermilion fishing time. Will be up this weekend so will post my update, likely Sunday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been working big bay reefs getting some smaller walleye 11-13" off reef edges 20-25' FOW. Didn't seem to matter between crawlers, leeches or pike suckers. Continuing the search for a true "hot spot"

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks StateofHockey! My group of friends are coming in this weekend for the week. Anxious to hear how you’re doing! 

It's the equine inequality principle....   In this world there are many more horse's a**** than there are horses.

I still think musky fishermen are the worst.

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thumbs Up 2

It’s been tough on the Big V, but we managed to get six eater walleye yesterday Lindy Rigging with leaches and crawlers. We see the walleye in some cases, just getting them to bite is the challenge. Mainly on rock bars and piles…smallies have been good on leaches.

D73369EB-B7C8-4681-95FF-3A877BD1CA0E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Similar results for us. Started slow Friday with 5 ok eaters. Switched to Frazier instead of big bay Saturday and got nothing. Worked lindys with crawlers and leeches on main lake humps from 15 to 30 FOW. Visible on graph but not active. Sunday just cruised the pontoon up to Wolf bay to enjoy the 2 piece band on the deck. Trolled a little off Gold island and Fectos sand but no results.

Reports haven't been great for a while (maybe years) but yet the DNR assessments show the lake healthier than ever. What gives?  We caught WAY more big Northern this year.  Musky boys all over the west end every day. Walleye's have been super tough for us...meaning 1 or 2 for a session. 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, JerkinLips said:

Fished Thursday-Saturday.  Was a tough bite for me but I did manage to bring home a meal.  Not many anglers fishing within site of me, but I didn't see anybody catch anything.  One group I talked to said that a couple of guides were having tough fishing.  I'm sure some skilled anglers will have success.  On the positive side, I did catch my Personal Best rock (pictured).  Was so heavy I had to pull it in hand-over-hand.  Will have to weigh it next time up to put a number on this record.

Caught fish on both large leeches and half crawlers, but not enough to make any recommendations on the best.  Had some washed-up mayflies on my boathouse deck but I didn't see any on the water, or clouds in the water column.  Sunset on Friday night made up for the poor fishing.

Good luck fishing, enjoy the lake, and be courteous.  I had one boat troll a complete circle around me while I was trolling at 0.3mph, and another boat drove by me at 3/4 throttle just 40 feet away in a narrow channel while there was a much easier path to their fishing spot.

20220715_191315.jpg

20220715_205713.jpg