• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We decided it is about time to get a new roof on the cabin on Cook end.    Looking for somebody to do it.  

Cabin is one story, 24 by 26 not too steep roof.    

Any recommendations appreciated.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, delcecchi said:

We decided it is about time to get a new roof on the cabin on Cook end.    Looking for somebody to do it.  

Del, it took me over a year to get a crew to do mine. I worked for a building materials wholesaler and provided all the materials myself, I just needed the labor. I have asphalt singles. The quotes I got up here just for labor were way more than material and labor down in the cities.  I have a 12/12 pitch roof on the cabin and garage, some local crews didn't want to do that steep of a roof. I knew a few crews down in the cities from being in the industry and it took me awhile to find one that would make the drive, this crew lived in Mankato! I ended up paying for a hotel room for two nights and grilling lunch and dinner, but they got it done. I easily saved half of what the locals charged, that's if you could even find someone to do it in a reasonable time frame!  The best bet is go to Menards in Virginia, back by the building dept desk is a rack on the wall with flyers for local trades people, grab some roofing contractors. Try to find someone that will just do labor, you provide all the material, buy them at Menards when they're 11% off. You'll save a ton of money if anyone will do it that way, or Cook Building Ctr will give you the names of some contractors. One contractor quoted me $650.00 a square for 12/12 pitch, think it was $525.00 for under 8/12, for materials and labor, plus $500ish for dumpster. You can buy good architectural shingles for about $110.00 square, plus ice/water, felt, nail, caulk, vents, metals, etc. You can find very good crews in the cities that charge well under $150.00 square labor if you have contacts. Plug in some of your numbers and you'll see there's a hugh profit to be made in roofing! And yes, I know about the cost of running a business 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

So you're saying that there is a very low chance of finding someone to redo the 24/12 pitch on my boat-access A-frame? 🤣

• Yayyyy 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 4/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, delcecchi said:

Do you have insurance on it?  Get a hail damage claim on it and have them find up someone to do it! 😉

4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

So you're saying that there is a very low chance of finding someone to redo the 24/12 pitch on my boat-access A-frame? 🤣

I'd say you might even get....               skunked again😃👍

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Yayyyy 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I can’t offer any help but I’m in the same boat(lol!).  And hope you don’t mind me chiming in.

We are going to be in need of a new roof in the next year or so.  So I fine this topic interesting.  Our cabin is water access only so that may add an extra problem.  Also I was thinking of switching to metal and was hoping it could be over out one layer is old shingles as I think the underlayment in good.

Anyway if anyone has any insight into this I sure would welcome your thoughts.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:39 PM, Wanderer said:

Maybe @StillFishin' and @delcecchi can find a roofing crew from out of town that will do both roofs for added incentive to travel?

Just a thought.

Works for me, or else somebody's brother in law might do it.   Roof isn't very steep, maybe 4-12 and probably only 8 squares..  cabin is only 24 by26.   

call austin miller roofing, he did a great job on 7 roofs he did for me last fall. fast and professional.

Got the first response, $6600 bucks.     Seems like a lot, but I do recognize that there is some overhead to small jobs so that might have an effect.    Timberline Architectural shingles.   

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Got the first response, $6600 bucks.     Seems like a lot, but I do recognize that there is some overhead to small jobs so that might have an effect.    Timberline Architectural shingles.   

Del, how many bundles of shingles? Did they give you an itemized quote? 

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That’s about double what I calculated it might be by CigarGuy’s earlier estimate.  And no offense to either of you but I thought you’d have a hard time getting anyone to jump at a $3,300 job these days.  JMHO.

We had our roof done last year; pretty easy one, and it was ALOT more than that.  But an insurance job and probably priced accordingly. 😉

When our city house was done the other year, I pointed out all of the extras and lies on the itemized bill. The insurance company said thanks but we just pay what they invoice. It's easier than arguing. The roofing folks know this game so they load the invoices and pad their pockets, all while paying very little to the crews up there doing the work.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Wow, ❤ 1

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Not so good with HEIC... 

JPG here

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

It looks pretty easy and I agree that seems like a lot.

I’d almost offer to do it for you myself but I’m a little over committed as it is.  I didn’t do my own because I didn’t have the time and insurance was covering it.  I haven’t even been able to get back up there to handle a couple trees that have been requested. 😔

1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

When our city house was done the other year, I pointed out all of the extras and lies on the itemized bill. The insurance company said thanks but we just pay what they invoice. It's easier than arguing. The roofing folks know this game so they load the invoices and pad their pockets, all while paying very little to the crews up there doing the work.

I think this is 100% accurate based on my experience too.

I went online on got approximate prices on materials. Shingles approx. $1000.00 Ice/water, felt, starter,ridge cap, nails, staples, caulk, vents, misc metals approx $1000.00 (guessed high on these)+ dumpster/dumping materials-guessing $400.00-if renting a dump trailer from Cook Building Center and dumping yourself. So, about $2500.00. Balance is labor!  These prices are based off retail price! I guessed high on the miscellaneous stuff, most roofing companies will have interchangeable, leftover materials that someone else has paid for that they can use! I got a quote from the roofers that did my cabin for my brother in-law in the cities. They gave me a good deal of $80.00 square for labor only, that's a rocking good price! That's for a 4/12, one story.  I have nothing against a person trying to make a buck! I'm just throwing this information out there, because I love negotiating👍

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

My 24 x 24 cabin cost $3600.

My 24x28 cabin cost $4200.

Since I had a number of roofs done I got a better deal I paid about $375. a square, Dell you need approximately 10 squares and I wouldn't pay more than $390. a square or about $3900. for the completed job

All great advice about what the job should cost all things being equal. However, Del will have to figure out if anyone else will bid on the work. If not then $6,600 may be the bid he has to roll with. Hopefully there are others willing to do the work.

Another analogy about a friend of mine who is moving. He got three bids from the major moving companies (Mayflower, North American, etc.). To move from Wisconsin to Minnesota the bids were $20k, $15k, and $12k. Estimators and mark-up between all kinds of companies can be vastly different. 

Edited by SkunkedAgain

I got another bid coming, supposedly.    And there is the brother/in law of the folks next door and his roofer buddy who might do it also.    I'll keep you updated.   Thanks everyone for the input, the 6 grand is a little high sounds like.   Seemed that way to me too.   

• 2 weeks later...

Got a second bid.   This one, from Miller's Roofing was 5500.    Got hooked up with a couple of guys, relative of neighbor, and they are gonna do it for 4k.    One is an actual roofer so should be ok.   

• Thumbs Up 3

They are done.    Took one day.   Looks good in the pictures they texted me, I'll post some when I get up next week.    If anybody wants their contact info it is Jeff at 218 780 8547     I don't know if they are set up for water access, but I don't think so.     I guess a barge would be involved or a beat up pontoon to haul materials and trash.   

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thumbs Up 2