• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zipple Bay Report

JBMasterAngler

Well, that’s a wrap on my ice fishing season! Just spent 3 days at zipple bay. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly! They canceled their ice fishing contest that was scheduled today (which was postponed from last week). Also not letting wheelhouses out anymore. And they’re pulling in their houses, and closing down their road after this weekend.

This trip summed up my entire ice fishing season, slow and disappointing! 😩 first, a quick little story leading into my first day of the trip…

I have had an ion battery auger for 7 years now. If I’m ice fishing, I have my extension with me, regardless of ice thickness! I have the allen wrench for the extension in my ice fishing jacket pocket at all times! Never once in the 7 years of owning this auger have I needed to use the extension. Well, on Wednesday, I needed it! Guess what was NOT in my pocket? 🤬 luckily the spot I went to had several holes that hadn’t froze over from previous day. I only needed to drill one….so I literally drilled a flower pattern around main hole, to buy me a few more inches. Ice was probably 40 inches thick.

Anyway, so that fiasco was for pike fishing. The only sucker minnows available up here were giant Muskie sucker minnows, so I used mostly used frozen smelt. Was setup in 13 ft. Caught one fat 34 inch pike.

The next 2 days we had a day house rental. And to say the fishing was slow would be an understatement! 25 fish total for the trip! Mostly staring at blank vexilars. Only 4 were walleye. Only caught 7 keepers, which we had the resort clean and fry up for us. Speaking of the resort, we’ve always fished out of zipple bay, but this was the first time we stayed in their cabins. Very nice! Food is super good too! We tried just about everything on their menu, and loved all of it! We’ll see what happens next year 🤷🏻‍♂️

82A30BF6-457B-44B9-A704-B1912D4963FE.jpeg

CB65945E-2B12-4058-B1EA-A454C958DA9F.jpeg

CB3DCA74-6E2E-4BFF-BA6D-9E77FB5186F9.jpeg

8B5262F9-5C68-4259-AE78-9535CD53E3F1.jpeg

CFFF51CB-0728-4220-911F-A53F7878BF37.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2022 at 6:42 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

Figures leech would like this pic. 😂

Edited by chaffmj
no need for words.
  • Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

Figures leech would like this pic. 😂

I like the string of pictures but yeah.  He should have posted it on the HSO side for full effect and shame!  🤭

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

On 3/19/2022 at 6:42 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

Well, that’s a wrap on my ice fishing season! Just spent 3 days at zipple bay. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly! They canceled their ice fishing contest that was scheduled today (which was postponed from last week). Also not letting wheelhouses out anymore. And they’re pulling in their houses, and closing down their road after this weekend.

This trip summed up my entire ice fishing season, slow and disappointing! 😩 first, a quick little story leading into my first day of the trip…

I have had an ion battery auger for 7 years now. If I’m ice fishing, I have my extension with me, regardless of ice thickness! I have the allen wrench for the extension in my ice fishing jacket pocket at all times! Never once in the 7 years of owning this auger have I needed to use the extension. Well, on Wednesday, I needed it! Guess what was NOT in my pocket? 🤬 luckily the spot I went to had several holes that hadn’t froze over from previous day. I only needed to drill one….so I literally drilled a flower pattern around main hole, to buy me a few more inches. Ice was probably 40 inches thick.

Anyway, so that fiasco was for pike fishing. The only sucker minnows available up here were giant Muskie sucker minnows, so I used mostly used frozen smelt. Was setup in 13 ft. Caught one fat 34 inch pike.

The next 2 days we had a day house rental. And to say the fishing was slow would be an understatement! 25 fish total for the trip! Mostly staring at blank vexilars. Only 4 were walleye. Only caught 7 keepers, which we had the resort clean and fry up for us. Speaking of the resort, we’ve always fished out of zipple bay, but this was the first time we stayed in their cabins. Very nice! Food is super good too! We tried just about everything on their menu, and loved all of it! We’ll see what happens next year 🤷🏻‍♂️

82A30BF6-457B-44B9-A704-B1912D4963FE.jpeg

CB65945E-2B12-4058-B1EA-A454C958DA9F.jpeg

CB3DCA74-6E2E-4BFF-BA6D-9E77FB5186F9.jpeg

CFFF51CB-0728-4220-911F-A53F7878BF37.jpeg

Missed this report.  I was even looking for info around the time for my buddy who was planning on heading up there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Come on now. Who wear it better!  🤣 🤣

8B5262F9-5C68-4259-AE78-9535CD53E3F1.jpeg.1af76587f799d9c0df1ed3eaabec9701.jpeg

IMG_1970.JPG

• Confused 1