• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cleaning my boots and waders - advice please

GForster

What's the most effective way of cleaning my boats, waders, fishing gear to prevent mud snails and algae staying attached. They're becoming an issue for many rivers and lakes and I don't want to be unknowingly spreading them if I visit water where they're present.

Also, was wondering what's the most effective way of draining and cleaning my boat (motor, livewell, hull, bilge) to prevent zebra and Quagga mussels hiding there? Apparently that's a really common way they're transported...I know some states have mandatory inspections and blast everything with hot water

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Following! 🍿 🤔

Pressure washer works pretty good.... Or the carwash if you wanna go that extra mile to clean your gear.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, GForster said:

What's the most effective way of cleaning my boats, waders, fishing gear to prevent mud snails and algae staying attached. They're becoming an issue for many rivers and lakes and I don't want to be unknowingly spreading them if I visit water where they're present.

Also, was wondering what's the most effective way of draining and cleaning my boat (motor, livewell, hull, bilge) to prevent zebra and Quagga mussels hiding there? Apparently that's a really common way they're transported...I know some states have mandatory inspections and blast everything with hot water

Here's a link to some information I found. It seems exposing to hot water above 104 degrees F., which is really only lukewarm, might be effective. The question that wasn't answered in my link was how long exposure to the hot water was required? 

https://www.boat-ed.com/louisiana/studyGuide/Stop-the-Spread-of-Aquatic-Invasive-Species/10101902_37132/

At this link I found information to answer that question of duration. Apparently the UK is also struggling with invasive species similar to ours. In this report they said, "Hot water had caused 99 % mortality across all species 1 hour after treatment and was more effective than drying at all time points." For drying time to be truly effective it requires more than 16 days drt. Water in our motors and livewell tubes can remain liquid for longer so it could take months in there. The hot water temperature they seem to settle on was 45 C or 113 F., which is really not very hot. Bakers proof yeast at 110 F., which is only a little more than lukewarm.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-015-0875-6

• 6 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, BobT said:

Here's a link to some information I found. It seems exposing to hot water above 104 degrees F., which is really only lukewarm, might be effective. The question that wasn't answered in my link was how long exposure to the hot water was required? 

https://www.boat-ed.com/louisiana/studyGuide/Stop-the-Spread-of-Aquatic-Invasive-Species/10101902_37132/

At this link I found information to answer that question of duration. Apparently the UK is also struggling with invasive species similar to ours. In this report they said, "Hot water had caused 99 % mortality across all species 1 hour after treatment and was more effective than drying at all time points." For drying time to be truly effective it requires more than 16 days drt. Water in our motors and livewell tubes can remain liquid for longer so it could take months in there. The hot water temperature they seem to settle on was 45 C or 113 F., which is really not very hot. Bakers proof yeast at 110 F., which is only a little more than lukewarm. Going to try this with my fishing pants from https://gritroutdoors.com/apparel/fishing-clothing/pants/ next time I guess.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-015-0875-6

45C sounds surprisingly low, but I guess 1hour of high temp(low oxygen) does the trick.

Edited by Tbrown