• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Anglers Catching Good Numbers of Fish

LakeofthewoodsMN

On the south end...  Ice fishing is in full swing and a great week it was.  As the ice thickens, some resorts / outfitters are using bombardiers and others are allowing one ton trucks on ice roads.  Check with ice road operators for specifics as ice conditions vary.  Stay on marked ice roads, trails, etc. 

Fishing reports for walleyes and saugers are good.  Ice anglers are still catching numbers of walleyes and saugers, sorting through smaller fish to find keepers.  Slot and trophy walleyes in the mix along with eelpout, jumbo perch, pike, tullibee, and sturgeon.  

Good action in 25 - 28 feet of water.  Jig one line.  Vibration and rattles on some days, other days no rattles.  Even if the fish aren't hitting noisier presentations, it still helps others in the fish house to attract them.

Deadstick your second line.  Gold, glow, pink, glow red, glow green are all effective colors.  Often, a plain glow hook, colored hook or an ice jig tipped with a live minnow 6" - 1' off of the bottom is the ticket.

For those who are portable, the morning / evening walleyes are being caught 10-15' along shore and can be a fun way to start or end the day.  Must be set up early and stay till just after dark ideally. 

On the Rainy River...  The Rainy River is ice covered and where there is good ice, anglers are still finding walleyes primarily morning and evening.  Gold and glow with one jigging line and one deadstick working well.

Sturgeon bite continues for anglers wanting to catch a dinosaur through the ice.  A few frozen shiners and even crawlers if you can get them on a hook with a 3/4 ounce egg sinker or on a spoon fished on or near the bottom is the goto.  

With the current of the river, knowing where and where not to travel and working through resorts / outfitters who know ice conditions is key.  The snowmobile trail is marked from Baudette to Wheeler's Point up to the Angle.

Up at the NW Angle...  The walleye fishing remains strong with saugers, jumbo perch, and pike being caught as well.  Fresh fish frys are the norm!

A nice morning / evening bite in 15 - 18' off of shoreline / island points and adjacent to structure. More of a daytime bite on deeper structure and mud.  

Again, the one two punch, jigging and deadstick.  Glow and bright colors have been effective much like the south shore. Glow minnow baits like a jigging rap tipped with a minnow head on the middle treble hook effective.

Travel to the Angle without crossing the border.  The snowmobile trails along both the west and east sides of the lake are full of snow, groomed and staked for travel up to Angle resorts.  The ice runway for Lake Country Air is open and flights from South St. Paul, Baudette, Warroad and other adjacent cities available.  Round trip bombardier service across the lake to your favorite resort via Lake of the Woods Passenger Service is another good option.

Driving via land to and from the Angle through Canada is open.  Must be vaccinated and have a negative PCR COVID Test less than 72 hours from when the test was taken. Get tests before you travel up or rapid tests are available in Baudette and in Warroad.  Once at the Angle, no additional COVID testing is necessary for traveling back south from the Angle through Canada. 

Big walleye in fish house_Arnesen's Rocky Point_122921.jpg

Jumbo Perch, fish house, Ken Mar Ke Resort_010322.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• vassapa
      If you are looking for an online service that offers dissertation writing help uk, you can find it at AssignmentHolic. The dissertation writing help uk https://www.assignmentholic.co.uk/our-services/dissertation/ is a great resource for UK students who need help with dissertations and more. Writing involves critical thinking and academic writing. It is a required part of every course and forms a significant part of your grade. Fortunately, there are many ways to get help with your writing.  
    • Zdell
      Heading up to crane Lake area. How are conditions and any tips / pointers? 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Yes indeed. We actually bought it together. We wedged the pontoon boat into that lift last fall and hoisted it out of the water. Unfortunately the water came up so much this spring, the pontoon couldn't float with the rising levels. There wasn't much that we could do opening weekend except wait for the water to drop and then assess the damage. It's mainly a garbage hauler so no big loss for a $500 boat/motor.
    • gimruis
      I forgot to post this but I got a jake during season B north of Princeton on some private land.  I had been hunting this flock of birds for 3 seasons now.  I hear and/or see them every day, but simply could not get a legal bearded turkey to come within range.  Finally, a hen came walking out with a jake and I dusted the jake on the 4th day of my hunt.  There's plenty of birds there, including several mature toms, so I intend to keep hunting there in the future as long as I can obtain permission.  The weather was downright terrible.  I had one nice morning of sunshine and then it was windy, rainy, and raw for days.  Saturday morning even produced a heavy summer-type down pour.  I was so thankful to be hunting in a blind.  I also saw a fair amount of other wildlife in four days, including deer, pheasants, a pair of raccoons, and a coyote.
    • Mike89
      Glenn will be jealous!!   🤣👍
    • Kettle
      Had walleye last night with the nephews, gave me a chance to go out again this evening for a quick solo 6, water temp 55 degrees, fish 12-14 ft on jigs
    • hopper33
      I have questions about the following hypothetical. Buy used boat and trailer from Iowa Resident. Would need to transfer, and I have not done before. Duck boat, may occasionally fish out of it. Technically 15'11 1/2" long. Will have motor. Do I need a title? Does it need registration?   Same for trailer. Need a title? Need Registration? License Plate?   Thank you for any help.
    • PSU
      I realize it's only been 2 days Raven77, but are you continuing to see the level decreasing?  
    • cm012419
      Sight fished this one, also got a 19" off a bed with a senko but didn't get a picture because my phone died. Length was 14" for the one in the photo. Haven't been able to get out much recently, but I should be able to go Saturday.
    • Pat McGraw
      Sizes caught matched most recent survey very closely - a lot of 12-14" fish with a few 15". Three to six feet of water against rocky shoreline at dusk was very productive. Fish still discharging milt. Should continue to be great fishing for next couple weeks along shoreline. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.