• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have no idea where else to post this, so here goes. I'm leaving the country for my first time ever this winter. I got a great opportunity to stay with friends at their timeshare in Cabo San Lucas (Mexico). They don't fish but I want to try out deep sea charter fishing. I have two questions for anyone who has done this before:

1. What species should I target? I'm pretty laid back so anything bigger than a northern pike is probably going to be a thrill

2. How do I select a charter outfit?

Looking online I just see all of the different charters listed on various websites. I feel like I am sifting through ads. Is there any reliable way to research charters, a place where people discuss these things, or do I just have to take a blind plunge and hope that it works out?

Are there any things to look out for or ask about when looking for a charter?

• Thumbs Up 1

Good for you ! My preferred method of finding a charter is face to face with local people . Someone in the condo complex should have a clue. If you can wander around marina for awhile observing everyone . When you feel comfortable with the vibe ask couple non captains who’s who . Having a crew member that speaks English is a must if you don’t speak Spanish.

personally I like smaller boats like a Panga, makes for more of an adventure.

you keep what fish you want eat and let the captain have the rest for his family or to sell . Relax and enjoy !

capt jack 

Badaboom’s advice is what I would do if I was sure I had multiple days to get it done.  Plus I like hanging out at marinas anyway.

I’ve never been to Cabo.  Hopefully someone who has can give you better info but I’d recommend getting booked with someone you find in your research to make sure you can get on a boat during your stay.  Kind of your blind plunge but you can put some thought into it.

I’ve chartered in MN, AK, NY and AL.  I tried to get on one in Maryland but their practices made it hard to get on.  Striper charters on Chesapeake Bay are by the boat with 6 packs mostly and they don’t mix groups.  You might be able to talk a skipper into going out for just one if you bought the whole boat, for example.  If they had an opening.   The NE part of the United States was hard to find any open seats worth a darn. 

Again, if you don’t get a recommendation locally, I’d start calling or emailing down there.  Just start asking your questions.  If a a charter won’t answer your questions, skip em.  After you get one person willing to talk about whatever you want you’ll start painting that picture you need.  And maybe consider booking with them.  Also try other avenues if you can find them.  Like if they have a some sort of sport fishing organizations that the charters join or that represent them.

I did a quick search and see September is the best month for fishing and Cabo is considered the marlin capital of the world.  Tuna was also mentioned. Hard to say what’s the best thing to target when you’ll be there.  Trust your gut.  You’ve listened to fisherman lie for years! 😅

Try this link.  https://fishingbooker.com/destinations/location/mx/bs/cabo-san-lucas?dest_title=Fishing Charters&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj73s7ejl9AIVjT6tBh1SPguUEAAYASAAEgJu0vD_BwE

It seems to answer a lot of questions I’d have.  Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Wanderer

Great advice from Badaboom and Wanderer.  I spent a lot of time in the harbor at Port Washington, Wisconsin while my daughter was going to school out there, and learned a lot about the charters there.  We later went out on several of them over the years.  If you have time I would recommend watching the charters come back to the harbor to see how successful they are and how they treat their clients.  Good luck.

In Cabo it's all about the flags. The charter boats will come into the marina at the end of each day with a species specific flag for each fish caught (6 marlin flags, 2 Dorado flags etc). Striped Marlin is a big target species down there, but also Dorado (Mahi Mahi) and others.  I would go watch the boats coming in a day or two before and see what the boats are catching and how many flags for each species. 

Edited by CousinEddie
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Just keep an eye for bands of gangs on Jet Skis and AR's like in Cancun!  😳

• Wow, ❤ 1

I have chartered 3 deep sea fishing trips.  You fish for whatever is hot, but they will ask you if you have any preference.  I always have stated I would like to split time catching something for the table and something big (billfish).

First one in Hawaii I got a referral from the hotel.  We caught a few small yellowfin on a half day charter (no one else in my group wanted a full day).

Second time just north of Tamarindo Costa Rica (Pacific), same thing...recommendation from hotel and caught a few small yellowfin and bluefin tuna on a half day charter (same thing no one else wanted a full day).

Third time I just got back from Costa Rica two weeks ago and I took a different approach.  First, I think fishing was marginal on the first two because it was only 1/2 day, and this time I chose the off-shore package hoping that further out would be more productive.  My wife and son reluctantly agreed.  Second, I researched charter options and booked ahead of time.  I found a lot of informative reviews on tripadvisor and on google maps (just searched for them on the map they came up with reviews) and a lot of info on the actual boat on the charter website.  I also researched what fishing was like at that time of year and found quite a bit of info...looked marginal, but still went ahead with the booking.  I chose the top 3 and sent messages to all of them with questions.  First one to respond got my booking.  This was out of Quepos (Pacific).  This trip did not disappoint.  We stopped part way out where there were a lot of boats and this was the 1/2 day tour spot.  We caught a few Mahi.  The we motored out 35 miles and found a school of hundreds of porpoises with bait fish and tuna jumping out of the water and birds diving from above.  That was game on.  One fish after another Mahi and Yellowfin 20-35 pounds.  They put up a great fight.  Then the crew yelled "we got something big" and I ended up landing a 250-lb blue marlin...one bucket list item crossed off!  We actually asked to go in an hour early.  Our arms were tired and hands were raw.  I suggest wearing a pair of work out gloves (not kidding).  I had trouble with the marlin because my palm was blistering.

They said it was not billfish season so we were lucky to tie into the Marlin.  They said Jan-March you can catch dozens per day.  I was quite happy with our trip.  It was not cheap.  If you are going by yourself you might be able to split the trip with another group (they offered that).  Good luck

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Thanks everyone. Lot's of great advice to get me started and I appreciate all of it. As my screen name implies, I usually just happy to be out on the water so catching something is just a nice bonus. Having a good captain is probably the #1 priority for me so I'll definitely start reaching out to some of them. 

I appreciate everyone's in-depth advice, and am happy to take more!

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to everyone that gave some advice here. I read it all several times and was getting ready to book a charter when one of my Vermilion neighbors emailed about ice & snow conditions. When I mentioned that I was going down to Cabo, he mentioned that he just got back and had gone out fishing. He liked the charter so that sealed the deal for me. I'm happy to get a recommendation from someone that I know. I still utilized info from here, and was able to talk my brother and Mrs Skunked Again into the 8hr charter. Hoping to hook into some good sized bill fish but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 3