• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winter Wanderbouts

Wanderer

So I did get to sneak out for the last evening of ML season after all.  Came in down wind of a bedding area and did manage to find one.  I was going to zoom in for a better pic but when I got the phone out she had already gotten up.  There’s a little dark speck down there  off the tip of the broken branch in the center of the pic.

48B608AF-6243-4F3F-8EA5-D441DA2D0FA0.thumb.jpeg.2fb645a8ce7eaebdf2b485dfb12ddee4.jpeg

I eased up a bit closer and got a hold on a tree for my gun but just couldn’t get a clear shot at her.  She eventually drifted off back further in the brush.  Man, I thought I had her.  Not such thing as a sure thing.

Learned ALOT more about this area that I’ve been working this past week.  If y’all have some time to scout, this is the time to do it.  Especially if you have to find something new for next year.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Quiet through the mid day after the first 5 minutes.  The decoy got pounded right away by a 21 incher that went in the bucket.  Game on at sunset though.

323E4B51-BF69-4A7F-8A10-D6451E894E82.thumb.jpeg.cdea277dfea9c1a90b1550fa63c57065.jpeg

I ran a set line a few feet deeper on the break and it was going constantly.  Speared 4 (all under 22) and caught prolly 10 more on the set line.  I should move out deeper I think.

Couple crappies and sunnies after sunset.  The lake had more panfish 3 years ago but got absolutely pounded 2 years ago.  Now it seems to be a good pike lake with just a few remaining quality panfish.  

Gotta get into pickling now.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

No pics from today but I was able to spend a few hours out.  Haven’t been on the ice in too long already but that’s life.  Being out on Christmas Day is kind of a novelty for me. 

I found 7 inches on one lake and 9 on another in the Brainerd area.  Some 17’ wheelhouse have been drug out along with the smaller hard side annual regulars.  I’m going to put one or two of our smaller houses out tomorrow.  Probably one on each of the lakes I was on today.

The crappie bite was decent but I didn’t keep any.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2

The 7-9 inches of ice now has 8-16 inches of snow on it after last night.  Chose to NOT put houses out in case we got it bad.  Feeling good about that choice now but disappointed with what I expect this to do to the lakes.  Slush city…. Bummer.

• Thumbs Up 4

same here Wanderer............ my brother is at the cabin, last i heard they had 6 inches and expecting 3 more. 

i was gonna head up friday, but them double digit below 0 temps got me thinking twice......to more then likely not!!!!!!!! i'll text him about wed to see what the lake conditions are like!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep.  This week ain’t gonna be pretty for outdoors stuff.  Spent most of the day today plowing and blowing snow along with a trip 45 minutes north help our stranded daughter.  

Snow and ice got up inside her engine compartment and shucked the serpentine belt.  Took me 2 hours on the shoulder of the road in the ground blizzard to figure out that little car’s routing and actually get it back on.  Frozen fingers and no room to work.

AE7056F0-2E3C-4FBE-8E19-F5E5D3C259C9.thumb.jpeg.ff49dd0415f58a2462e86ffd1d926651.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Yea I looked at 511 this morning and the snow plow cams on hwy 2 between deer river and grand rapids didn't look so good 

12 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Another 3-5 for us today.  Sigh….

Where are you located @Wanderer?

I realize that the snow is probably not helpful on the lakes or for traveling on them, but I'd like to remind you that we are still in a historic drought that hasn't been this significant in 30 years.  We're gonna need an epic amount of snow and rain next spring to make a dent.

Good to see that you are removing those small pike with a spear.  They are a serious problem.  They are a very under-utilized resource that is abundant and easy to catch.

2 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

desert looks good!!   🤣

It has been with some berries on top! 😋

42 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Where are you located @Wanderer?

I realize that the snow is probably not helpful on the lakes or for traveling on them, but I'd like to remind you that we are still in a historic drought that hasn't been this significant in 30 years.  We're gonna need an epic amount of snow and rain next spring to make a dent.

Good to see that you are removing those small pike with a spear.  They are a serious problem.  They are a very under-utilized resource that is abundant and easy to catch.

I’m between Little Falls and Brainerd.  But wander around in about a 50 mile radius most of the time.

Yep, I’m aware of the drought.  I can see it every day and won’t argue we need moisture.  I’m expressing I’m disappointed we haven’t been able to put more ice on than snow at this point.  Of course if lake travel stays bad with less ice I might be able to spear more?

Always a silver lining.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wanderer I appreciate the posts.  I have not been able to get on the ice yet this year...bad timing...ice too thin, then too much snow so my fish house is on dry land.  I am fishing vicariously through others' posts!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

38 minutes ago, whateverisbiting said:

Wanderer I appreciate the posts.  I have not been able to get on the ice yet this year...bad timing...ice too thin, then too much snow so my fish house is on dry land.  I am fishing vicariously through others' posts!

Thanks, and me too for the past week! We have the regla flu in the house so it’s been pretty boring.

Hoping to go pick up a hard side spear house today though if the guy still has it. Plan was for yesterday but -16 temps and feeling bad scuttled that mission.

I also cancelled a guided goose hunt in Iowa for this weekend.  Birds are there but I need to get over this before I set out in a field for a couple days.

Good luck and I hope you can get your house out soon!

• Thumbs Up 2

-31 here at sunrise this morning.  Still kickin’.  Rattle reels were quiet overnight (or since 2022 started 😉) but that’s alright.  Might have to move deeper for tomorrow night though.  A quiet night here is unusual.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

👍 stay warm up there bud!!!!!!........i'm headed that way about 10-11 tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Tonight should only be in the -20’s so not as bad.  We figger we’ll be heading off the lake about the time you roll by!  

Just keeping the mountains blue! 
56B42EEC-6298-41EE-9C92-C13D6520606B.thumb.jpeg.f286f2bc41bd3a6056be4c6dccc6d777.jpeg

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Yayyyy 1

Heck a heat wave 😂 I usually fill up the truck at the deer river cenex before heading to the cabin.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Tonight should only be in the -20’s so not as bad.  We figger we’ll be heading off the lake about the time you roll by!  

Just keeping the mountains blue! 
56B42EEC-6298-41EE-9C92-C13D6520606B.thumb.jpeg.f286f2bc41bd3a6056be4c6dccc6d777.jpeg

Nice!!!! I'm talking the walleyes, not the beer🤣 if that's what you call it...lol😯😁

• Yayyyy 2

Picked up a new to me 4x6 hard side spear shack last week and got it out on the lake this afternoon.  
0D238744-E127-472B-990B-42B746C79EE3.thumb.jpeg.041eea8d2b012fd13dc16f06f1dcb939.jpeg

It’s light but hard to load by myself on a slippery trailer deck so after considering several different ideas to make it safer I came up with the idea of a pulley since I couldn’t work out using the winch on the 4 wheeler.  Well what better pulley system than a block and tackle - or simply a deer hoist.  Easy peasy.

B8BD7561-92C0-4488-8A78-E58DF3EC4A1E.thumb.jpeg.9cf16aa93b4bc0765a24e8f6a86c5356.jpeg

First order of business was to swim the big timber my carver friend made me for Christmas!

51FAF935-F9FB-4F9E-9F5F-9B97660CB470.thumb.jpeg.213de2c1e9d9a20da2613626c07c7fd9.jpeg

4A5B9757-C25E-4219-B5E1-53798B396894.thumb.jpeg.a1c636d87fa526a10b5db99452892f89.jpeg

At 22 inches and almost 3 pounds it swam pretty darn well.  It’s a pretty good monster in the hole but not so much to get in the way of a throw.  No fish seen in the short time out but I’m looking forward the day I get the first fish off it.

4C250FF7-4406-465A-891E-7694CD3F142F.thumb.jpeg.a8ce4e891e9fa80afbaf2c0a9ff5b6ca.jpeg

😁

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Wow, ❤ 1

How does the shack slide?  Are there skis or skids on the bottom of it?

That decoy is bigger than 90% of the pike I catch each season.