• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How's everyone's fishing been lately? This is my first winter in vermillion and it's been pretty decent to us. Early ice was good for numbers of eaters and small fish. We have been bringing the wheelhouse up there and still catching some fish. Starting to get into a handful of bigger ones. Last couple weekends I know of a 20, 23, 23.5, 25, 25, and a 27.5 inch fish being caught. Nice to get them in the mix. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Have a place on the west end of the lake and wanted try fishing this weekend. Never been out and never see anyone out on the west end.... Anyone know why no body is out fishing the west end?

Also any tips on depths and time of day to fish? Is it any good at night?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Vermilion forum Curtisa1.

The walleye population in the west basin use to be much lower than the east end, and heavily tilted toward very large fish.  That has changed over the recent years and I think the west population is nearly equal to the east end now.  I suspect that most people fish on the east end because of tradition, and the easy lake access from McKinley Park.  Maybe some people are not aware that the west end population has improved significantly.

Late in the winter fishing season I like to fish deeper (25-30 fow).  The bite has been fairly consistent (but also fairly slow) throughout the daylight hours.  Interestingly I have caught very few fish in the first 1-2 hours of daylight.  Several days the bite has been very good between 330-430.  Vermilion is not known for a good night bite, but this year people have been picking up a few walleyes throughout the night.  Other anglers may have different experiences but this is what I know.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 3

Without any plowed roads on the west end, it seems to keep the fishing pressure down quite a bit. It amazes me how few people fish this end in the winter, you'll see a few groups here and there, that's about it.  I usually ice fish around the islands by Head O Lakes/ Wakemup Bays. Haven't been out too much this winter, last time out was a week ago and was marking them, but couldn't get them to bite. Just got back up yesterday and will probably go out Saturday when the weather warms back up. I'll probably be out by myself since none of my neighbors will be around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe people only like to fish when they can complain about too many boats fishing too close!

JerkinLips and CigarGuy are both right. There are generally no plowed roads out of the west end. I too will set up near the islands on the west end or just try some different spots. I haven't hauled my gear out yet though. I don't think this will be the weekend either!

• Thumbs Up 1

Curtisa1, Agreed with others that past fish numbers and lack of access are probably only reasons. Even areas on the eastside without plowed roads see very little activity. We're on Fraser Bay and typically see less than a half dozen (at most) and they're mobile, run-n-gun types. We were on Head-O-Lakes for a long time. I'd start in the 24-30' areas off of the islands north of Jacobson's Point, off Hibbing Point or around the Wakem-Up/Partridge River narrows. Good luck. Excited to hear how it goes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really appreciate the great information! And with everyone being so helpful any jig or color information? Sounds like Chubs and Rainbows are the go to's.

I think I'm going to give it a try Sunday & Monday

33 minutes ago, Curtisa1 said:

Really appreciate the great information! And with everyone being so helpful any jig or color information? Sounds like Chubs and Rainbows are the go to's.

I think I'm going to give it a try Sunday & Monday

I cleaned Lucky Seven out of rainbows and most of the fatheads. The guy didn't know when they were getting the next delivery. I start with a plain orange hook on my set line and jigging raps of various colors on another line.  When I use jigs, I always start with chartreuse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I cleaned Lucky Seven out of rainbows and most of the fatheads. The guy didn't know when they were getting the next delivery. I start with a plain orange hook on my set line and jigging raps of various colors on another line.  When I use jigs, I always start with chartreuse.

Hey Bill.  I will be up the last three weeks of February.  Looks like I should pick up bait on the way up.  If you see my AlumaLite, make sure to stop in.  Thinking about setting up near Metsa's point.

We have historically done better on dead sticks with rainbows. than with jigs,   When the fish aren't biting we stop jigging and pull out the cribbage board, which often triggers the bite 😆.  As far as jig colors, it varies from day to day but red/gold has probably done the best.

58 minutes ago, Raven77 said:

Hey Bill.  I will be up the last three weeks of February.  Looks like I should pick up bait on the way up.  If you see my AlumaLite, make sure to stop in.  Thinking about setting up near Metsa's point.

We have historically done better on dead sticks with rainbows. than with jigs,   When the fish aren't biting we stop jigging and pull out the cribbage board, which often triggers the bite 😆.  As far as jig colors, it varies from day to day but red/gold has probably done the best.

Hi Chad, everytime I go down to the mailbox, I look for your house out there. By the looks of your driveway, looks likes you haven't been up most of the winter, must be enjoying Colorado! When I was out fishing last week, there were some people out fishing near Metsa's point. Seems like when I do see people out on this end, they're usually around that area. I'll be sure to stop by!

8 hours ago, Curtisa1 said:

any jig or color information? Sounds like Chubs and Rainbows are the go to's.

I've been just using a plain red #4 Gatsuma hook on a 3 foot fluorocarbon leader this winter.  Pike suckers are another option for live bait if you can't find chubs or rainbows.

7 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I cleaned Lucky Seven out of rainbows and most of the fatheads. The guy didn't know when they were getting the next delivery.

Not a good sign for my trip up next week.  Wonder why it is so difficult to find bait up there this winter.  Seems like a lot more people are ice fishing this year.  Guess I will have to check all 3 bait stores starting at Lucky Seven.  Hope I don't have to drive to Ely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stopped in Virginia at L&M and they had plenty of chubs and rainbows. Looking forward to trying the west end tomorrow. I'll let you know if I find any.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heading up to Vermilion on Thursday where would the best bet to find shiners be on the way up 35 from White Bear Lake. 

11 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

Heading up to Vermilion on Thursday where would the best bet to find shiners be on the way up 35 from White Bear Lake. 

Call ahead to every bait shop in your path until you find one.  Lately if shops have them they’re usually river shiners and picked over in my experience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You should hold the bug out at arm's length in the photo as well 🤣

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I've been gone for a long time. 

Here is my report from the West end last weekend. I tried 3 different areas last weekend and caught a walleye in all 3.  I tried between Schmidt and Tayors Islands between a couple deeper humps and had some action durring daylight hours. After dark the locators showed no signs of life. NO SLUSH in this area- typically it is bad in this location.

East Side of Tayors Island we found fluffy snow and little slush Set up in 24 ft near a break to shallow hump and had nonstop life below- mostly perch but again a walleye was in the mix.

On Monday morning set up between my parents (Next to Metsa cabin) place and Taylors Island and caught 1 jumbo perch and a 24 inch walleye. 

IF you see and old Polaris with a red Eskimo behind it stop in and say hello. 

I hope to return next week sometime.

Good Luck

Steve

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Sorgy said:

I've been gone for a long time. 

Here is my report from the West end last weekend. I tried 3 different areas last weekend and caught a walleye in all 3.  I tried between Schmidt and Tayors Islands between a couple deeper humps and had some action durring daylight hours. After dark the locators showed no signs of life. NO SLUSH in this area- typically it is bad in this location.

East Side of Tayors Island we found fluffy snow and little slush Set up in 24 ft near a break to shallow hump and had nonstop life below- mostly perch but again a walleye was in the mix.

On Monday morning set up between my parents (Next to Metsa cabin) place and Taylors Island and caught 1 jumbo perch and a 24 inch walleye. 

IF you see and old Polaris with a red Eskimo behind it stop in and say hello. 

I hope to return next week sometime.

Good Luck

Steve

Son and I went over by Schmidt Island for the last couple hours of the day. We're on the bottom of a hump in 24', marked a few, son had something real nice almost jerk the rod out of his hand, didn't catch it.  He missed another, I struck out for the night.  About par for the course for me this winter. Kind of a worthless report, but what the hell 🙂

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Was out all day fishing in the middle of the eastern part of the lake. Fishing deeper water by humps in about 28 feet caught a really nice jumbo 12+ inches at first then action picked up a lot at 3;00 caught lots and lots of small walleye couple eaters as well. Had to switch baits a lot because they were fussy. Lost a couple nicer fish as well. Had to leave right at prime time for birthday dinner very hard to pack it up while you are marking three walleye. We will see how tomorrow goes looking for some bigger fish.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been up in the wheelhouse every weekend now for like a month. Last weekend was pretty slow but the girlfriend managed a 24" and we took home a meal. 

This weekend has started off amazing... not for me but my other half... so first fish on Friday evening was a 25" great fish, and then .....

430am rolled around and she asked me hey you want this rattle reel, and i say no... she sets the hook and says it's heavy... ended up bringing a 30.25" fish topside. We're getting it mounted. 

Didn't expect that big of a fish at all, but what a great moment and glad to have her get her wall hanger! 

Other than that we have around a dozen 9-13inchers at random times. Prime times haven't been that good to us.

We are off the east side of birch Island,  in a red glacier. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

There's  a good chance I'm coming up mid week. If anyone wants to meet up on the ice send me a pm. May even run towards Niles bay one day.

Anyone fish like 10 -12 ft and find any eyes on the West end?

Good Luck

Steve

Awesome photos and posts.. glad to see other were catching fish .

We have literally had no luck in the morning or evening. We will get fish midday or during the night .. maybe some around 430am. Weird to me that the primetimes aren't very good. 

Still though in 2 days we would have had a nice meal of fish , two 25s and a 30.25incher so I'd say this spot is worth camping out longer. Be leaving tomorrow and back up Friday evening.

Little side note, anyone have any recommendations for a nice resort with rv hookups for a fish house? Looking to come up here for a week in the summer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
43 minutes ago, BrianF said:

The fish are nibblin’ and the sun is shining here on the west end.  God, I love this place…7FA31BBA-6FE4-4BE7-AF53-FFCDA7A34CC9.thumb.jpeg.12032a469f7239b66a740c62376235db.jpegB3E1C4D6-AF13-4E6A-9C81-C5F8F0601474.thumb.jpeg.6eeeca2d3256b3ad000618b87879cbfc.jpeg

Hows the slush up there?