• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

So in general it sounds like maybe the shorelines of most bays are strong enough for machines to travel but the centers may still be a little weak as they were just forming ice when the big storm hit the other week. 

I'm hoping to come up this weekend and go across the west end of the lake. I am happy to stick to shorelines to err on the side of safety.

CigarGuy - are there a bunch of snowmobile tracks going through the Partridge River or just the one that you reported?

Went by The Landing yesterday, snowmobile tracks heading out across the lake. There's been a few people on sleds running down the Partridge River. Two sleds ran the shoreline today, same one's went by yesterday, heading towards Black Bay and back. Don't know how far down they went into the narrow part. I went out fishing yesterday in front of the neighbors with the carvings, had a good 6" of ice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks CigarGuy. I know that Black Bay, and likely the other small bays, had ice for a couple of weeks before the snow hit. Most of that time was without snow cover. I'm feeling good that our bay is in good shape for this winter. It's helpful to know that folks are already running out of The Landing on sleds. I appreciate all of the reconnaissance.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Thanks CigarGuy. I know that Black Bay, and likely the other small bays, had ice for a couple of weeks before the snow hit. Most of that time was without snow cover. I'm feeling good that our bay is in good shape for this winter. It's helpful to know that folks are already running out of The Landing on sleds. I appreciate all of the reconnaissance.

I knew you head out from The Landing, so I mentioned it. Be safe!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I rode my sled through Richie this morning, around Metsas, and into Black Bay. The lake was 70% bare ice. Not good for sleds without scratchers but pretty good for ATVs. It should be making ice without the snow cover. It was 9 inches thick when I drilled for water.

• Thumbs Up 3

Based on what I saw last weekend, I would think that travel is pretty safe in most areas. Anywhere that it is usually iffy, I would still exercise caution. Hopefully someone else has a better report though.

• Thumbs Up 1

As of the first part of the week, the snowmobile club hasn't staked out the west end because of inconsistent ice conditions. Haven't heard any new updates. With the weather we had all week, you'd think it has to be getting close to being ok.

Last Friday night after a good sauna, I walked out onto the lake around midnight. I stood in the middle of the bay wishing that the clouds would clear out so that I could see the stars. Since the ice was mostly bare and the temp in the single digits, I was sure that I would at least be treated to the sweet sounds and feeling of the ice expanding. Nope. It was perfectly silent out there, which is a nice consolation prize. I was surprised that it wasn't making any noise at all. The lake must have taken a nap!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you for your post. Hard to believe their driving trucks out with only 10 or 11 inches of ice. Maybe small pickups or suvs . I might be getting old but I like at least 15. 

Merry Christmas.

Mike

• Thumbs Up 1

I've put a rope and floater on my snowmobile at times when I was fairly certain the ice was safe but just wanted to feel better if the unlikely happened.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

It's primetime for snowmobiling on the lake right now.

Hope I can get the parts for my clutch before next week so I can do some riding.  Chopper City was closed last week due to Covid-19.

I have a trip planned for early February on Vermilion. And will be fishing out of Big Bay on the south end of the lake. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as how to tackle this lake. I will have a couple sleds with me so I should be able to be pretty mobile in the sense of areas I am able to fish. I have never fished this lake in the winter and hear it can be difficult at times. Just looking at the map there seems to be plenty of good structure. Thanks in advance for any help. 

She’s cold this weekend, gents!  Checked the weather in Tower yesterday. -28. Not too bad, but the North Pole was reading -11 and Antártica was -9. Something to be said about that. LoL. 
next weekend looks to be another to have the Buddy heater turned up to 11.  We are making serious ice. 

26 minutes ago, Influenza said:

She’s cold this weekend, gents!  Checked the weather in Tower yesterday. -28. Not too bad, but the North Pole was reading -11 and Antártica was -9. Something to be said about that. LoL. 
next weekend looks to be another to have the Buddy heater turned up to 11.  We are making serious ice. 

i watch the weather up in Alaska religously during the winter months. generally speaking what they have up there, in about 7-10 days we get it here, albiet it might be a tad warmer when it gets here!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

I have a trip planned for early February on Vermilion. And will be fishing out of Big Bay on the south end of the lake. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as how to tackle this lake. I will have a couple sleds with me so I should be able to be pretty mobile in the sense of areas I am able to fish. I have never fished this lake in the winter and hear it can be difficult at times. Just looking at the map there seems to be plenty of good structure. Thanks in advance for any help. 

The Waldos go bananas for hotdogs on Daredevils!🥸

• Yayyyy 1

On 1/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, Austin12345 said:

Austin12345, Keep in tune with this channel:) Even go back through older content. I target saddles between humps, deep water bumps (27' bump in 32' of water for example), deep water reefs (ex. 16' reef in 32' of water), and inside turns or points on sharp breaks. Run-n-gun. Use buckshot or similar bait to explore. Banging it on bottom and then jigging up 3 to 7' off bottom will get fish to show on finder. If fish show, stick with it using minnows or other artificial (although they will often hit buckshot).  Punch a lot of holes - toe of slope, mid-slope, top of slope, etc. I like to work until I have two holes showing fish. Then set a dead stick with minnow 2' to 3' of bottom and jig buck shot in other. At times I'll add a minnow head to the buckshot. There is good structure between Pike Bay and Ely Island, north side of Ely Island, outside Everett Bay, outside Stuntz Bay and all over Big bay. Please be sure to report back. 

Travel cautiously. Can be punching trough 3' of ice most spots but still have open water in surprising locations. 

Curious to learn if others are targeting flats. Also wonder if any work shallower than 18' when targeting walleye at this time of year. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Beautiful weekend. It’s good to be home again.  Huge thanks to TJ at VPS for keeping the roads open. 

E982B390-77A2-4758-8FA9-EEABDEA43ACE.jpeg

6E55C8F4-2FD7-4715-9F10-395460755AC3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2