• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In between seasons

Tom Sawyer

no sir...no new purchases. my wife gave up on any ice fishing for the most part............so now i have about 2 of everything. she might go if i drove her to the front door of say an ice castle.🙄

slowly getting my ice fishing stuff lined up and ready to go. need to check lines though!!!!!!!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Invested in a hard sided rod case and a couple nice combos last week at the ice show I went with the 30 UL snitch from 13 fishing and clam Jason Mitchell 28 L excited to see how the longer UL rod does with a tungsten this winter. Rod case is great has plenty of room for line, tackle, bait puck, and other stuff as well. Also got new auger setup prepped can not wait for ice!

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Nothing new for this year yet but am getting itchy to get out.  I need to get my 6 inch Nils auger bit tuned up.  I guess I do have a new 8.0 Ah battery for my drill this year to go with the two stock 5’s.

18 Ah oughtta get some ice shredded. 😁

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 11/26/2021 at 7:13 PM, Austin12345 said:

Invested in a hard sided rod case and a couple nice combos last week at the ice show I went with the 30 UL snitch from 13 fishing and clam Jason Mitchell 28 L excited to see how the longer UL rod does with a tungsten this winter. Rod case is great has plenty of room for line, tackle, bait puck, and other stuff as well. Also got new auger setup prepped can not wait for ice!

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Look at getting the extension for the drill it’s a back saver 

• Thumbs Up 1

Always lure and tackle reorganization.  Always trying to re-prioritize which fancy new lure to try out first or which new lure that was bought prior but haven't gotten around to using.  That and wondering if I should just go back to old school hook and weight (plus blade) as it's proven to work.  Then wondering if I should try out new lines or stick with the old proven to perform lines.  I dare say that there are some lines over ten years old.  Back in the days, mono lines really didn't last more than one season.  However all these newer lines seems to remain strong year after year.  So I leave it be.  Well I did buy some Sufix 131 G-Core line in 6# and 10# and perhaps I they may find some ice time.

I did also buy two Shimano Curado BFS and they will be getting ice time.  They got YGK G-Soul and SS112 braids on them already.  So I'll see how those perform.

Also tinker around with my milk crate for transport.  Well it was really just added pvc tubes to hold up rods.

• Thumbs Up 4

Charging EVERY battery I use for ice fishing today.  As a person accumulates this stuff it’s sometimes surprising how much there is with new tech.

Gonna take a drive with the Mrs. and see what’s up.  Mostly look at 6-8 lakes for how many have had people on them already.  3 of them I already know and have had 3+ inches for a couple weeks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 12/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, slipperybob said:

Always lure and tackle reorganization.  Always trying to re-prioritize which fancy new lure to try out first or which new lure that was bought prior but haven't gotten around to using.  That and wondering if I should just go back to old school hook and weight (plus blade) as it's proven to work. 

THIS!  If I dumped out all the old "next best" lures I carry around that have not produced, I would probably lose 10lbs out of the tackle boxes!  😀 

Also have thought about trying just the old school hook and weight again more.  Last year fishing with a buddy for Walleye I just kept jigging lures all day because it worked in that spot time after time. He sat there with plan hooks and little bobber and caught 4 eye's.  I got nutten! 🤭

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprisingly I measured 5 1/2 inches on a bigger North Metro lake by my house. Did not have enough time to fish but did drill a good amount of holes and there was a consistent 5 1/2  inches did talk to some guys coming in and they said it got sketchy going out a ways. Maybe three groups fishing by the boat launch of this lake. Can't wait to get on some fish tomorrow. Early ice I always start with larger drainage ponds. You can find a lot of man made ponds in the suburbs that max out at 13-20 feet these often times hold fish and can be really good for early ice and very over looked. Best way to find them is on google maps but make sure there is some sort of way to access without trespassing otherwise ask. Landowners are for the most part pretty cool with it as long as you don't bring a party with you.  

• Thumbs Up 4