• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beautiful morning on Rice lake today. Water temps in low 70s. My son out-fished me today. He got a 19 in walleye and a few crappies and sunnies. Great meal for the family tonight. Caught most fish in the 11 -16 ft depths. Also managed a few bass and a nice northern. 

• Thumbs Up 2

i've always want to fish that lake but for some reason never get there!!!!!? suppose it dont help that my boat usally spends its summer up in itasca county. 

my father in law used to live over by morning star resort, i fished it a bit then. the guy that owns eden lakeside lives by the public access, and he hardly gets out fishing. to busy with his business he says!!!!! my wife took a cruise around her old house saud morning star now has a gate up and need a code to get in????????/  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

i've always want to fish that lake but for some reason never get there!!!!!? s

Which one??  ?   ?

Rice01000500TamarackAitkin

Rice01006700ThorAitkin

Rice02000800Circle PinesAnoka

Rice02004300LinwoodAnoka

Rice03017300FrazeeBecker

Rice03020100RochertBecker

Rice03029100RichwoodBecker

Rice03039400Detroit LakesBecker

Rice04012100NebishBeltrami

Rice04017400PuposkyBeltrami

Rice04025000Island LakeBeltrami

Rice07005900Saint ClairBlue Earth

Rice10007800Hydes LakeCarver

Rice11016200InguadonaCass

Rice11032100PillagerCass

Rice11040200Baker (Cass)Cass

Rice16045300LutsenCook

Rice18005300GarrisonCrow Wing

Rice18006800OrelandCrow Wing

Rice18012100KlondykeCrow Wing

Rice18014500BrainerdCrow Wing

Rice18032700Lake HubertCrow Wing

Rice18040500Pequot LakesCrow Wing

Rice22000700WellsFaribault

Rice22007500DelavanFaribault

Rice27011600Maple GroveHennepin

Rice27013200ShakopeeHennepin

Rice29017700Deer LaneHubbard

Rice30001800Spring Lake (Isanti)Isanti

Rice31020100PhilbinItasca

Rice31070700MarcellItasca

Rice31071700Grand RapidsItasca

Rice31087600OslundItasca

Rice31094200PenningtonItasca

Rice40001600MontgomeryLe Sueur

Rice40011400Saint HenryLe Sueur

Rice47008700Forest CityMeeker

Rice48001000BricktonMille Lacs

Rice49002500VawterMorrison

Rice52003300New SwedenNicollet

Rice56021100RichvilleOtter Tail

Rice56036300LuceOtter Tail

Rice61006900Pope

Rice66004800ShieldsvilleRice

Rice70000100EidswoldScott

Rice70002500BardenScott

Rice70006000Spring Lake (Scott)Scott

Rice71001500Lake FremontSherburne

Rice71007800OrrockSherburne

Rice71014200Briggs LakeSherburne

Rice72003600Sibley

Rice69018500Burntside LakeSt. Louis

Rice69057800Belgrade (St. Louis)St. Louis

Rice69080300Glendale (St. Louis)St. Louis

Rice73019600PaynesvilleStearns

Rice74000100Rice Lake (Steele)Steele

Rice77006100LincolnTodd

Rice81002200WasecaWaseca

Rice81008800GreenlandWaseca

Rice82014600HugoWashington

Rice86000200DaytonWright

Rice86003200LyndaleWright

Rice86016400HastyWright

• Confused 1

?? well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? since he posted it in the st cloud forum, my money is on the one by Roscoe/Paynseville. ?

• Yayyyy 1

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

?? well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? since he posted it in the st cloud forum, my money is on the one by Roscoe/Paynseville. ?

Winner. Yes by Paynseville. Someone has too much time on their hands. It would have taken me hours to do all those rice lakes with my hen pecking fingers.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Dash 1 said:

Winner. Yes by Paynseville. Someone has too much time on their hands. It would have taken me hours to do all those rice lakes with my hen pecking fingers.

Well, once you learn to Copy-paste life gets a little faster! ?

• 1 month later...

Talked with the Weed investigator at the ramp, be careful launching. The access is all blown out, a few guys with larger boats on single axle trailers have become stuck.  Wheels fall off the cement slabs, a couple guys have damaged their trailers getting hung up.  If only there was a law that had teeth to stop power loading. Trailers have wenches for a reason.  but then most of the rich kids with those big blaster boats are to weak to or stupid to know how to use the wench.

If you don't like this,  too bad fix the ramps. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Just joined the forum otherwise I would have posted these earlier. My girlfriend's parents have a cabin on the Morning Star bay. Slow start to the season for me but I've managed to pull out a few decent fish along with a ton of sunnies. I still haven't caught a walleye in this lake. Some day... Here are a few of the bigger ones I pulled in this summer, all in the Morning Star bay.

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5342.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! Keep after those eyes you will find them! Any long stretchs of sand along a weed line? If so try trolling small raps at sun down! ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys! We have tried trolling the drop right in the middle of the lake with a couple of us getting a couple of small walleyes but I still haven't personally gotten one. I've had pretty good luck with bass in Rice Lake though. Had a good sized smallie last year (see photo). Gonna be up there this weekend. Looks like it should be great fishing weather, can't wait!

IMG_4957.JPG

Edited by deanbaron1990
  • Thumbs Up 3

many places for walleyes. Try the brake just north of there going east and west. there is a hump east of there also. I've done well down by the river in the spring. We have done better at dark then in the mornings. after June it's hard to get walleyes out there we go after crappies and sun fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the advice! Have you hit any walleyes with crankbaits or mostly with jigging? I prefer crankbaits but that hasn't worked well for the walleyes. Bass and northern like them though.

Crankbaits do work on walleye there. Have caught them on the east side where the old rice lake  resort used to be. And yes you will get northern and bass as well so it makes it enjoyable. I will say I’ve had better luck with live bait on walleye but crankbaits will still get some. Good luck and welcome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Decent weekend of fishing. Weather was great all weekend too which made being on the water great! Didn't catch a ton of big fish. What we did catch were mostly Northerns. The biggest one I caught wasn't even caught off the boat. I managed to get a 25" Northern off the dock with a #2 spinner (first pic). The other Northerns were caught trolling with a spinner, mostly in the Morning Star bay. Caught my first walleye, although it was just a baby walleye so it was pretty small. Also had a crappie bite on my #5 size Black Fury. It's not the first time I've had a crappie bite on this big of a spinner. Always amazes crappies are willing to bite on that big of a spinner. Caught a lot of sunnies off the dock, including one that measured at 7". Also caught a trophy perch (last pic). No bass this weekend which surprised me. We usually get a token bass or two at some point. Wish we would have gotten out on the boat on Labor Day but it wasn't meant to be. I did do some fishing off the dock and saw a lot of jumping fish so I am willing to bet yesterday would have been some good fishing.

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_5582.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, deanbaron1990 said:

Caught my first walleye, although it was just a baby walleye so it was pretty small.

I think that's a yellow perch based on the stripes it has.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

I think that's a yellow perch based on the stripes it has.

That pic isn't the walleye. We didn't get a good pic of the walleye. The fish in the picture is definitely a perch.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

One last morning on the water this past Saturday before we took the docks and lifts out in the afternoon. Trolled the Morning Star bay for crappies. It was slow with just 2 or 3 crappies, although they were big ones. We could have kept them but chose to release. Also got a couple of northerns. I got skunked but my girlfriend got a good size northern. Biggest fish that any of the four of us caught on Saturday.IMG_5750.thumb.JPG.cb83cf6f5f1eb67090003da076fd2435.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

My in-laws used to live just down from morning star. They weren't on the lake but they supposedly had access to the lake near morning star, some lake easement for residents living on the opposite side of the lake.

• 1 month later...

Just some of this years catch. Found fish in areas i have never fished before and using presentations i hadnt used. The water levels were a pain this year.

20211105_170327_HDR.jpg

20211021_183551_HDR.jpg

20211016_150922.jpg

20211009_163132_HDR.jpg

20210806_193740.jpg

20210716_192714.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Found this trolling. It ended up coming to life so let it go. The next weekend in the same spot i found another one the same way but that one was dead.

20211009_151709.jpg

20211009_151712.jpg

20211009_151846.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone here had any luck on Rice Lake yet this year? All that rain a couple of weeks ago made the water level go way up and fishing opener for us was a complete bust ( although apparently someone on the lake caught a 31" walleye according to a DNR officer).

I'll be up there for at least part of the long weekend this weekend. Looking forward to some fishing. I'm contemplating targeting the bay that Morning Star Resort is on for some walleye. I don't claim to be an expert in fishing or fish behavior but it's early season so shallower seems to be better than deeper dropoffs like we would normally target during the summer. Forecasts I've seen suggest targeting bays too. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Good luck to anyone out there this weekend! Hopefully the fishing is back to normal after the weird start to the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do not be afraid of fishing shallow!  Especially this year so far!

Other than that I won’t be much help since I don’t know that particular Rice at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

fishing shallow on rice will be tough. most docks are under water. I have fished that lake for the last 30 years and would not know were to begin. fishing shallow you will be on somebody's lawn.

It's going to along time  before the water goes down koronis is a big lake.

We didn't do a ton of fishing on Rice this weekend but we did have some luck when we did fish. I managed to pull a 15" walleye on a hook, worm, and bobber on a light rod right off the dock. I was just going for sunnies but the walleyes must still be shallow and this one found my worm. My fiance pulled a 16" not far off the dock right after we started trolling. She got hers off a Rippin Rap (my lure of course lol). Both of these are in the bay that Morning Star Resort is on. We kept mine because I caught it before dinner so we fried it up for a little appetizer. She caught hers right after dinner so we released it to live another day. Her brother also caught a decent size northern in the Morning Star bay. These were the first walleyes either of us have caught on Rice Lake.

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6124.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

is your inlaws place in the bay of morningstar. ok your soon  to be inlaws!!!!!🤣 my inlaws used to live in that area. they had the second place on the left side of the road, not on the lake. house and detached garage with a bunkhouse on top of the garage!!!!!! deck on the top floor of the house!!!!

Lol they will be in laws in November 🤪 their cabin is probably 5-6 cabins down from the entrance to Morning Star. It's usually a pretty hot spot for sunnies.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, deanbaron1990 said:

Lol they will be in laws in November 🤪 their cabin is probably 5-6 cabins down from the entrance to Morning Star. It's usually a pretty hot spot for sunnies.

man thats pretty close to where my inlaws used to live.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the weekend at the cabin. Didn't do as much fishing as I hoped to but still got some in. Had some luck with the sunnies off the dock. Caught my first pumpkinseed sunnie this weekend. I don't think I had ever caught one before. We had some luck trolling the Morning Star bay Saturday morning with 3-4 northerns, although I personally got shut out. I managed to get one 12" largemouth bass off the dock at about 9:30 Saturday night. Didn't fish Sunday morning. Too tired and too darn hot.

Water levels have gone WAY down from where they were for opener. We had to pull the dock and lift farther out into the water Sunday morning just in anticipation of the water going down even more. If we don't get some solid rain in the next week or two we will probably be back to the low water levels we had last fall. I bet the water has come down 5-6' since opener. Crazy.

IMG_6146.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had pretty crappy luck with the weather this weekend. It rained every single morning Saturday-Monday. We got out for a bit on Sunday morning before the rain came in but we only had time to troll the Morning Star bay. We marked fish but nothing was biting. Did quite a bit of fishing off the dock. Lots of good sized sunnies, one 12" largemouth bass, and a few random perch for good measure.

IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6160.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4