• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jaroberts28

Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 

Thanks,

Andy

leech~~

Welcome to forum.

I would just fish like I would for Splake or Bows. If their in there pretty much any hatchery fish will bite on the same stuff. Good Luck and let us know how you did? 👍

Don't for get your Trout stamp and no live minnows if you didn't know? 

Edited by leech~~
Jaroberts28

Thanks man, yeah I'll definitely report back. I would like to get one on fly but I'm guessing the will be fairly deep with the heat lately. Thanks for reminding me about the minnows. I'll leave those guys back at camp when I go to Echo.

• Thumbs Up 1
biff

I think the Atlantic stocking was a looong time ago. Look's like recent stockings are of the rainbow, splake, and brookie variety. I've been by there a few times but never fished it. Seem's like there are always people shore fishing so I'm thinking they must be catching something.

• Thumbs Up 1
Jaroberts28

Oh, I had no clue. I was just going off the DNR info about the lake. I know that info can be outdated lots of time. Good to know that info. I'll still let everyone know how it went. Nothing wrong with Rainbows, Splake, and Brookies.

• Thumbs Up 2
leech~~
13 hours ago, Jaroberts28 said:

Oh, I had no clue. I was just going off the DNR info about the lake. I know that info can be outdated lots of time. Good to know that info. I'll still let everyone know how it went. Nothing wrong with Rainbows, Splake, and Brookies.

Are you going to have a boat?  If so try and fish the far side shoreline.  The side by the road gets pounded pretty hard. Good luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1
JBMasterAngler

There haven’t been Atlantic Salmon in Echo Lake in over 40 years. It’s managed for rainbows and splake. While there is lots of shoreline to fish, a boat is better.

• Thumbs Up 1
Jaroberts28

I wonder why the DNR still list Atlantic salmon??

• Thumbs Up 1
Jaroberts28

So no bites so far. Did see a bank fisherman catch a rainbow so I asked what he was using. Same thing as me... hopefully today is better!

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~
On 6/18/2021 at 8:03 AM, Jaroberts28 said:

So no bites so far. Did see a bank fisherman catch a rainbow so I asked what he was using. Same thing as me... hopefully today is better!

What were you using? 

Jaroberts28

So forgot to report back! I ended up catching some Rainbows with my buddy. We paddled around using a portable fish finder till we found them suspended at 20ft in 45ft of water. Trolled through using a lendy with a worm and bam. Missed more than we caught but we got 7 between the both of us in the boat. We cooked them up with salt pepper and butter with some lemon! The whole family was impressed.

20210619_154119.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
leech~~

Nice work. Sounds you found them and got enough for a good meal. 🙂

How did you do on Nine mile? 

Edited by leech~~

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LUCIFER
      By LUCIFER
      Anyone getting any over the air TV station with a small antenna? I am not asking about any specific area but curious in an area from Vermilion, Ely, Isabella and the Shore areas.
    • LUCIFER
      By LUCIFER
      Anyone getting any over the air TV station with a small antenna. I am not asking about any specific area but curious in an area from Vermilion, Ely, Isabella and the Shore areas.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Strong summer walleye patterns continue, which is a good thing for catching LOW walleyes. The two primary techniques are drifting or trolling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Schools of walleyes obviously move around based on forage, wind, current and a variety of other factors.  This past week, a couple of patterns emerged.  First and very consistent, targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud in Big Traverse Bay.  Fish of all sizes being caught.  
      The second pattern was off of Pine Island.  With a south wind, a nice bite set up in 16 - 22 feet.  Other patterns such as walleyes relating to structure are also in play.  
      Hammered gold, pink, yellow, orange and red / white are colors doing well.  It is a good idea to use something different from your fishing partner until the walleyes tell you what they want that day.
      On the Rainy River...   A mixed bag on the Rainy River this week.  Most walleye anglers focus on the lake this time of year but nice pockets of "local" walleyes are in the river year round.  Holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find scattered fish.
      Pike adjacent to weeds and current breaks.  Smallmouth bass in great numbers and they don't get much attention.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing up at the Angle this week.  Much like the south end, one area to consider is the deep mud of Little Traverse Bay.  Walleyes are set up over mud in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish.  
      There is so much fun structure to fish where pods of walleyes are hanging out.  Underwater points, sunken islands, and neck down areas are just a few also holding walleyes.    
      Pike are usually willing to play and continue to be active in weedy bays.  Spinnerbaits, spoons, crankbaits and bucktails are good choices.  
      Smallmouth bass are relating to deeper rocks.  Some nice muskies caught and released again this week.
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      We're having daily heat adversey,  20+ days of 90 deg. Hang in there. NOAA and Federal forecast just announced the Midwest has a 95% chance of a January through March La Nina which means a cold winter and above average snow fall. Early ice may be a challange with forecasted colder and wetter October through December. 

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• Barbelboy
      By Barbelboy
      Brand new Motor Guide Tour w/ Pin Point for sale. It's new in the box, never been used. 
      Looking to get $1500 for it. Delivery is possible within reason.

• delcecchi
      By delcecchi
      Now maybe the lake will come up some so my boat will come off the lift, and the grass won't be crunchy...
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      I haven’t been on Whitefish and only out a few times for a few hours each but have done well by down sizing and going slower than I’d think I’d have to.   Dragging and slow drifting smaller plastics with little or no jigging and long pauses with smaller sized jerk baits have worked the best.  4-8lb test on spinning gear.   I’ve caught crappies, gills, perch, walleye, smallies, largies and pike all on the same baits in the same systems at the same depths.  Those depths vary by system but all the fish seem to be using the same water - according to what I’ve seen the past few weeks.
    • Muskies
      Hey Mtnman. Thanks…the last two times out my wife took the pictures….still smoke in the area, as you can see in the background. Fire ban is still in place for much of northwestern Ontario. Rainy is about a foot low from normal water levels. Temperature has been in the low 80’s for the most part which about average for early August.
    • Mtnman
      Counting the days, and looking for cooler weather also. As always, your  pictures are excellent !  How is the fire situation, and what is the lake level ? I'm worried BIDEN is going for another lock down, which isn't going to play out well here. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. Thanks as always for the pictures !!!
    • Muskies
      My wife and I were out on Tuesday from noon to 3pm. Light east south east wind using jig and minnow. We caught over 30 walleyes with quite a few double headers. The biggest was 23” and another 7 in the 18”-21” range. 10 were in the 14”-17” slot range but did not keep any with the rest being 12”-13”. Water temperature was at 73.5 degrees. Air temperature was at 86 degrees.
    • rayguy
      Been awhile since any reports so here goes.  A tough summer this has been. Never saw so many weeds yet there is very little wild rice. Fishing has been tough to say the least.  No real pattern, nor walleyes are not in there usual summer haunts it seems. Been so slow we headed up to Leech last week for a Musky trip.   Non caught but four follows,   one on Pelican reef that was in the mid 40" range.  Then back to Whitefish for a few more hours of no activity.  Even the panfish are slow.  Anybody with any better reports lets here them.  Lord send some rain.
    • monstermoose78
      As you all know I don’t know anything 
    • monstermoose78
      There is no help once the mind goes @Rick G
    • Rick G
      Ah s#!t, the cops found us😂  Pretty sure it's just You, Rick, Jeff and the old fart left on staff yet.  Can you guys help gramps figure out his password issues?
    • rundrave
      this is an issue on HSO side also. I know of multiple users who have reached out to me offline and had same issue and just stopped trying 
    • Wanderer
      That’s a good question.  👍

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.