• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Took the grandson up to Elephant yesterday.

We fished about 4 hours, we caught bluegill after bluegill the whole time we were on the water, where ever we went.

I don't think we had one over 8"s.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they put a limit of 10, on the sunfish.

I'm no biologist, but I think they should let you take more than the state limit, but put a slot in place.

They might get some quality fish with a slot, but the way it is now, the lake is over populated with 6" bluegills, which are great for grandkids, me not so much.

We don't keep those bigger bluegills, we love catching them, but there are so few now a days, that you have to release them too.

Went to another lake last night, there we caught some nice gills, about 15 the size that Austin is holding, all were returned to the lake.

Most of the bonus walleyes went back too, there's a couple in the fridge. lol 

2021_0607kathys0006.JPG

2021_0607kathys0003.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3
20 hours ago, jim curlee said:

What doesn't make sense to me is why they put a limit of 10, on the sunfish.

There is a thread on here that talks about the "quality bluegill initiative."  It has some useful information, most notably why any sizable bluegill sunfish should be released.

90-something lakes this season in the state actually have a limit of 5 sunfish now.  I can assure you there will be more rules like this coming down the pipe for a variety of species.  Most of the state has a bag limit of 10 northern pike.  That is the over-abundant resource we should be taking advantage of at this time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Skill-lessWanderer
      By Skill-lessWanderer
      Heading out for 5 days of Crappie fishing on Bad Axe Lake this coming Friday. We did really well last year catching more than we could possibly want and more than enough to eat. What I was wondering was with Memorial Day falling a week later and the unusual spring weather we’ve had, if anyone is noticing a big difference in the location of Crappies this year compared to last year? Should they still be super shallow on the small lakes like last year or are they already sliding deeper with how warm it got earlier than past years? Thanks in advance! Also looking forward to boating around and seeing the Muskies basking in the sun and a much needed break from work by spending time with the family doing what we love.
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      😁

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I went out to Medicine lake yesterday and there were dead panfish discarded all over the place. I don't know who or why but it was such a waste, plus one little sunny was obviously cut up as bait... And then I found a huge PILE of about 20 fish behind a building. There are signs posted and reminders everywhere, only 5 panfish/crappies per person. This looked deliberate, like a middle finger to authority.
      I was furious and now I'm just sad. I took pictures and I want to do something about it but I have no idea what. 😩
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • BobT
      By BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      What’s your rod box. I grabbed a Flambeau today to upgrade since a good buddy made me a 36 inch ice rod. I added foam to the bottom and took out the dividers and it looks like it will work dandy. Got them all in and some boxes for different plastics.  Won’t know till it warms up!  All snug when I close it up. 

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      Here are a few pics of some of what I have been using this winter.  Everyone is well aware of how effective plastics can be for panfish... But have you tried the new hard baits? Most of the time, they don't need added bait, you can fish them plain.  I have found great success this winter with the Clam pinhead minnow, both the jointed and non jointed version. For some reason , the crappies and big bluegills love this bait..often preferring it unbaited, this is especially true for the jointed version.. I have been using small spoons with great success for years on panfish... just never found one that needed no bait.
      The Kenders K-rip and T-rip are some of the new style of minnow baits, they also fish better unbaited. The T-rip is so tiny, even smaller bluegills can take it, so the big ones definitely have no problem inhaling this bait.. The wonderbread and natural perch have been my go-to colors this winter.  
      Next time on the water, give either the T-rip of pinhead a try, you might be surprised how well you do😉 I sure was!

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Been using the micro ice flo green 3lb about 4 years now. Really like it. With the addition of the orange highlight rod from my favorite rod builder I thought  I would try the suffix ice magic. Seamed to work just as well and these eyes could see it nice when tying up a jig. What’s your go to line?

• Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy.  Thanks, Andy
    • leech~~
      Did you show Boar this proof that you can catch fish? 😆
    • leech~~
      Well at least it was cooler up there then any other part of the state the last few weeks.  My wife and I went up in the spring and camped at Cascade River state park. Most of the town was shut down all together. 😒
    • smurfy
      Some more!👍
    • smurfy
    • fishingstar
      that's how the contractor referred to as. They put a easement on my property taxes. My mortgage went up 125 a month for ten years. This was 3 years ago maybe the funds are gone.
    • Mike89
      they didn't have to here in Todd cty.   I know some folks who got it.....   
    • delcecchi
      A grant (free money) or some kind of loan?   You have to pay it back?
    • JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.   Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf.    As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.  
    • redlabguy
      I’m going to second bobbers on shallow rocks. Stick baits over shallow rocks, too. It’s not my favorite kind of fishing. I’d rather be slow trolling Lindy rigs on reefs, but that isn’t working. I know I’m not adding much but it’s all I’ve got. Tough times... we all need help. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.