• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My 1960 Johnson Seahorse is on the fritz. I did an overhaul the over the winter rebuilding the carb, replacing dry fuel hoses, fixing two stripped bolts (helicoils) on the powerhead, etc... This spring she only wants to run on one cylinder. I am assuming that it's the coil or something similar but suck at the electrical side. 

Great American Marine in Bloomington won't touch old motors anymore. Neither will Boat Motor Recyclers in Burnsville (1990 and up!). 

Does anyone up near Vermilion still work on older motors? I'll take a recommendation for somewhere near the lake or in the Twin Cities. Any input is appreciated.

Twin City Outboard in Shakopee only works on old motors.  They do great work and the pricing is reasonable.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a good thought. I'll call but they went "online" only last year so he no longer has a shop. He talked with me about how he needed to cut his fixed costs in order to compete with all of the online parts suppliers selling out of their garages.

It's a shame though. That place was amazing. Lots of great, old motors on the walls. When I went there needing a new lower unit for my 1957 motor, he pulled out a box and said "which color?" The place was a timewarp of boat motors.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2

Try Duane's Marine in Virginia,MN. Great service, a Evinrude/ Johnson dealer, on the second generation.