• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Options to Slow Trolling

whateverisbiting

Question

Trolling with my main motor the min speed is 2.9 mph.  Would like to get that closer to 1.8.  I have a good electric motor but want to be able to troll with the main motor as well.  Not going to get a kicker.  Don't like the idea of putting the electric in the water as resistance.  Don't want to troll backwards (though I can get really slow that way).  Other options I have seen:

1 or 2 drift socks off the front thinking that is sort of a hassle.

Trolling plates I read that sends prop wash down and sideways and can disturb the fish or your fish finder.

Wonder if a different prop would work? 

Anyone have an opinion / experience with this?

Edited by whateverisbiting

3 answers to this question

Trolling bags. I have been happy with the Amish Buggy Bag. Attach one line to the front cleat and a second line to the back cleat. Adjust the lines correctly and the ride just under the surface along the side of the boat. When you want to move just reach over and flip them over the side of the boat. Way easier than a drift sock. I have the 18" for my former 17.5 foot boat with an F100 Yamaha. I may get a pair of 22" bags for my current boat 1875 ProGuide with a Yamaha F90 SHO.

I've used the bags in 5-6 feet of water without spooking fish. They don't go nearly as deep as a drift sock.

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Thanks for the tip.  Do you have to add one to each side for boat control balance or is one side OK?  

I've only ever used them in pairs. There would be some pull with only one depending on the size of the bag. I don't think one 18-22 inch bag would slow you down enough. At least with the boats I have experience with.

• Thumbs Up 1