• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wiring an older ice castle

Getanet

My dad is looking to get rid of his ice castle and I will probably buy it.  It's only a 4-hole and the lights and furnace just connect to a car battery kept inside the house.  I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be a lot of work to get it wired up so I could run everything off my generator?  I'd like to have one standard electrical plug-in inside to charge cell phones or run a TV or whatever.  I'm assuming this wouldn't be major task for a professional, but maybe I'm underestimating how much work is involved? (I know I could always run an extension cord out the window or under the door, but I'd rather not).

Buy a 3 prong grounded male plug, attach a 14ga. A/C wire to the plug (white wire to white tab, black wire to gold tab and bare copper to round tab.) Mount the wired plug inside a covered A/C box. Drill a hole through the wheel house wall, feed the wire through the wall hole. Inside, connect the 14ga wire to the outlet and mount outlet on the inside wall.
Buy a 4 to 6 amp car battery charger with maintainer feature, $25 +- and mount on wall above battery connecting the D/C wires to the battery red wire to positive, black wire to negative battery terminals.. Plug the charger into the outlet box. 
I also put a 1500 watt heater in my shack to pre heat on house power. Don’t use the generator to run heater unless it’s a 3000 generator.
Total cost around $30 and 2 to 3 hours labor.

20210429_090922.jpg.be79a0967174fc8f65774d92b155c9c7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2