• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, Raven77 said:

Bill, you can follow me around for walleyes if I can follow you around for crappies :)

Thanks Chad. Had a slow night tonight, only got 7 in 2-1/2 hours. Tossed them all back.

11 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

I've got a little jaded fishing in crowds, that's why I went this far north and a large lake!

With Canada closed and the covid crowd still out there in force, even a far northern MN lake is going to see added pressure now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

With Canada closed and the covid crowd still out there in force, even a far northern MN lake is going to see added pressure now.

Ya, not much you can do about it. Still enough lake to get away from most of the crowds. My son and buddies will be all weekend, we'll be following each other around. They're were about 12 boats in Black Bay last night and didn't have to play bumper boats.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, JerkinLips said:

I believe Cliff retired from guiding, Casey quit guiding, and Mark B left the state.  Maybe forum posters are getting tired of others following them on the lake.

Cliff was guiding last year. Did he retire this year?

22 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Ya, not much you can do about it. Still enough lake to get away from most of the crowds. My son and buddies will be all weekend, we'll be following each other around. They're were about 12 boats in Black Bay last night and didn't have to play bumper boats.

I remember counting just shy of 50 boats in Black Bay around Memorial Day last weekend. It's more than I've ever seen even at Fishing Opener when the spawn is timed perfectly.

What I love about Black Bay is that once the walleye and crappie runs finish up in the spring, the fishing pressure calms way down.

12 hours ago, Muskyhunter73 said:

Cliff was guiding last year. Did he retire this year?

I don't think Cliff retired. Maybe he just cut back some. 

20 hours ago, Fish Head said:

I don't think Cliff retired. Maybe he just cut back some. 

I must have been thinking about Ace.  I hadn't seen Cliff around recently.

All this talk about Black Bay.  Curious, do the crapps leave there after the spawn?  

33 minutes ago, BrianF said:

All this talk about Black Bay.  Curious, do the crapps leave there after the spawn?  

Yep. 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, Raven77 said:

Bill, you can follow me around for walleyes if I can follow you around for crappies :)

In the spring on the west end crappies aren't too hard to find.   Heck even I have done it.    

And anyone is welcome to follow me around for walleye....

People fish Black Bay hard for crappies (I think) because it is one of the more narrow bays that warms quickest. I catch crappies all over the west end and yes, they certainly do move out.

Being in Black Bay over the weekend, I saw a lot more people trying and not many having success.