• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking For a WEIGHT SYSTEM

Hello I am looking for a weight system to help me catch more fish.  I am torn between Snakebite Snaps and Offshore Snap Weights.  They are 2 very different clips. Anyone know anything about either?  Was looking to grab some here soon.  

Slide1.JPG

s-l300.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      I randomly have some weekdays off from work and no parenting requirements... would like to go up to Lake of the Woods/Rainy River and drop some lines. Was going to try to hop onto a charter boat as a +1, but apparently they're all shutting down mid-October this year. Anyone likely to be going out on the water sometime Oct 21-23 and maybe has an empty seat?
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      Living in SW Minneapolis, and have gotten back into fishing after many years away (guess COVID was good for something). I mostly fish in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Calhoun) and other urban lakes because I can get to 'em and get out on the water under pure human power (not opposed to electrics or real boats, just can't afford 'em). Most times out I'll get bass or northerns... but no dang walleye, despite all the fry that DNR pours in there. In fact, I've been living in Minnesota for 3 years now, and from the BWCA to the southern lakes, I have never gotten a walleye to bite, be it leech, jig, dropshot, or crankbait. Which tells me I need to quit trying on my own and get on the water with somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty flexible about timing; can even do some weekdays if we plan in advance. Would love to meet others who fish my local lakes, but at this point, I'll happily travel to learn the mysteries of the 'eyes. If you're looking for another partner or just like to spin yarns, I'll listen and bring along some brews and gas money for your troubles.

• AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      The tournament yesterday looked like the walleyes were tight lipped. Almost half of the 125 boats didn't weigh a fish. Looks like I'm not the only one struggling. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the results. I'll let someone else do it, if it's ok.
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      The Timberjay recently had a typical article about the Hatchery in operation in Pike Bay. It reminded me that they did not strip eggs last year due to Covid, and there was some discussion about how this would affect the lake's walleye population. I did a little digging last night into the annual growth of walleye in Vermilion and found that it takes somewhere in the 3-4 year range to reach eater-size range. That means that the "covid experiment" won't be real noticeable until the end of this season when walleye start reaching double-digits in length but most likely 2022 when those walleye are in the 10-14 inch range.

From the Lake Vermilion Fisheries Management Plan (https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fisheries/special_reports/183.pdf
      Besides abundance, differences between walleye captured in East and West Vermilion are most evident in age and size structure. Overall, walleye in West Vermilion tend to grow faster and live longer than walleye in the east basin. For example, by age-5, walleye captured in East Vermilion average about 16 inches compared to 18 inches in West Vermilion. Walleye on Lake Vermilion can survive to age-8 or older, however older walleye (age-7+) tend to be more abundant in West Vermilion.

I figure that Lake of the Woods is similar in latitude to Vermilion, so probably similar growth rates.

From the Lake Of The Woods section of the DNR website: (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/low_walleye.html#:~:text=Generally%2C walleye in Lake of,male walleye are sexually mature.
      Generally, walleye in Lake of the Woods reach 12 inches long when they are three years old. Male walleye start to mature when they are 12 inches long, 3 years old, but it is not until they are 16 inches long, 5 years old, that all male walleye are sexually mature. Male walleye longer than 24 inches are extremely rare.

Female walleye grow faster than male walleye, after they are three years old. Female walleye start to mature when they are 4 years old, 15 inches long, but all of them are not sexually mature until they are 7 years old, 20 inches long. Generally, female walleye which are 25 inches long are about 10 years old, and 30 inch females are in the range of 20 years old. The oldest Lake of the Woods walleye we have aged was a 23 year old female which was 30.3 inches long.
    • tbetts1000
      By tbetts1000
      What is the best chip option for Vermilion. I am getting a new Lowrance HDS and need some guidance.
    • walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Fished Lake of the Woods yesterday during this tropical heat wave.. I'll tell you what, if you're planning on fishing in these temps, bring backup gear for your essentials (Heat, Auger, etc). Doing this was key for us yesterday when the buddy heater hose was acting up due to the cold. We had a fun day! Check out the video below:

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Troy Smutka
      Hi everyone. It has been a slow start to the 2021 waterfowl season in MN. A combination of a bunch of factors including very low water conditions and fewer wetlands, much warmer than normal temperatures, and a lot of shooting on MN lakes and wetlands in September has led to not a lot of resident ducks left around, those that are around not moving much, and a delay in the migration of ducks and geese from the north. The saving grace for this season for me has been watching my nine year old son graduate from coming with and watching, to fully participating. Practice shooting and calling this summer has him calling and harvesting birds with a 20 gauge, and a pair of waders has him helping with decoy set up and take down. He has shot his first duck of multiple species already, and his Dad and Grandpa have managed a few ducks while letting Parker take the singles that have come in. This past weekend, we finally saw some migrating flocks of canvasbacks and gadwalls, so the calendar migration is starting, albeit a couple weeks late. Should be some good pushes of ducks into MN the next couple weeks, so good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Wanderer
      You sound a little conflicted. 😉   It took me a long time to be content with not having the freedom of my early 20’s; fishing and hunting as much as I wanted and at a moment’s notice.  But don’t regret a single day you have on this earth.  There’s something great about every day.  It’ll come back to you while you make the most of everything else in life.  
    • leech~~
      Welcome to the forum.  Are you Amish or live off grid or something?  🤔   EZ Freeze brand LP Propane Refrigerators are made in the U.S.A. by a small Amish company committed to the highest performance and highest quality in the industry.
    • murphyrobbert
      I'd like to learn more about refrigerators. Please share your thoughts with me and let me know which gas your refrigerator uses.
    • Mike89
      he sure doesn't explain it very well then...  I read it the same as smurfy.... 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I took Gimruis to mean that he regrets working full time....me too! 🤣   On my next lake trip, I am hoping to figure out where the mice are getting into my sauna. I also am planning to fish at least one solid day on Vermilion this fall. I don't seem to have great luck this late but I feel compelled to make the effort when the opportunity arises.
    • smurfy
      🤔 so gimruis, I read this as you regret getting married and having kids???
    • gimruis
      I went fishing for the final time this season yesterday.  It was not very good.  Its the latest I've fished in a season for many years though because its been so warm out.   I decided not to duck hunt again this season based on the lack of success I've had in recent years.  By the reports I've heard locally, I made the right decision.   Between a full time job, yard work, going to the gym, and being a responsible Father/Husband, I don't get as much time to do what I want to anymore.  That's just the reality of it.  Sometimes I regret the decisions I've made on that, but now I'm stuck with it and its a necessary evil.  Retirement is still 20+ years away.  But I did go fishing 31 times this past season and I'm taking the whole week off to deer hunt.  After deer hunting I'll be pheasant hunting until the end of the year.   I'm grateful for my health and my mental ability that allow me to continue to do the things I enjoy, albeit not as much as I used to.   I try to post on here when I have successful days of fishing or hunting.  Sometimes it seems like the only fishing updates for weeks on end come from Vermilion.
    • smurfy
      🤣 neighbors don't bow hunt and they might just get a deer iffin a deer happens to run over them.😉   Thanks!!👍
    • Wanderer
      Is that that little guy at the feeder with the cr*ppy rack?    Your neighbor got the ‘tirdy pointer last weekend with his bow. 😉😝   Good luck Smurfy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.