• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White suckers

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

They smoke good

• Thumbs Up 1

Vengeance will be served @Rick G  Bwaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaa

• Yayyyy 3
  • l Love It 1

What in the #3!!.... Admin, can we get this eyeguy goofball booted... my feeling have been hurt, badly ? @monstermoose78 @Rick A guy has to make a living , ya know?

Thanks Nick, been working hard on it this spring? I do love posing like this tho. 

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Yayyyy 3
  • l Love It 1

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Good thing PeachyHans posted that chunky post BEFORE that picture was posted.??

are you saying @Rick G is chunky or hunky??  

• Yayyyy 1

• 4 weeks later...

fish1.jpg.c2a707a08cee628b36c457efec59d65d.jpg

fish2.jpg.6a951f72c61a3433a35181b6df42bee9.jpg

fish3.jpg.52b83de7e83d9dfade3a0cac68f74d6b.jpg

The Suckers are running!  (White Suckers are very active.  Redhorse are just staging)  Kids had a blast on the Mississippi river this weekend.  Water is quite high, very cold.  Always fun to be casting again.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Rick G said:

Nice job @DonkeyHodey   The old "secret" spot produces again? 

Hard time finding a place to stand with the high water?  

You got it, bro!  

The secret spot is not so secret...    Usually the beach is empty in April but it wasn't this past weekend (we planned to try Sun before lunch and there was no room, so we took early lunch, came back and thankfully then the prime beach spot was open!  YES!)

The high water is one thing;  there's at least enough standing room and I could barely fit a folding chair.  (but action was hot--we weren't sitting much at all!)

The bigger issue was casting room.  80% of the time I spent fishing and 20% untangling line from the brush/trees.  ?

• Yayyyy 2

• 2 weeks later...

red1.jpg.647f19e82e8a2d1d251b057f2c8962a4.jpg

cat1.jpg.63ce147b6151e9e884fb0928611b811d.jpg

Sonny boy and I were enjoying that 90 degree stuff on Saturday.  Aw yeah!  

White suckers are still around but seem to be done spawning and while still biting, I think they're done running.  Now the Redhorse are very active and feisty and very commonly on the end of our line.

The river is high but down a touch; the water is warming up (~50ish) and we started catching a few by-catch smallies and one nort.

*Speaking of by-catch, Sonny Boy got a PB channel cat this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2

NIce job!

• 2 weeks later...

white.thumb.jpg.afa7359e0c3b5725eb1446e83ae8a281.jpg

Brag Alert***:  Got a PB white sucker.  With tail pinched it was just at 26 inches.

1.)  This Fish is almost certainly a post spawn female (she was pretty flattened out in the egg section).  probably 20-30 years old (maybe more).

2.)  A big fish drops ~10,000 eggs per spawn (give or take 5000).  With that said, this lovely lady has probably (through her babies) directly provided >200,000 fish meals for the predatory fish (and birds) in the river.

3.)  Many of her offspring will have grown up to spawn and continue the process;  If a mere 5 of her babies grew to spawn for 20 years then Statistically >1 million baby suckers will have come from her to feed the game fish in the Mississippi river! 

However, playing the statistics/numbers game:  if ~0.1% of her babies grow to spawn and their babies (with a similar 0.1% chance) grow to spawn, you are looking at 100 million baby suckers descended from this one fish!

Next time you catch a nice plump Smallie or Wally in the river, realize that they grow and thrive because of "grocery getters" like this. 

Preachy Alert***--Too many "fisherman" think these are trash fish and fail to recognize their critical role in a healthy fishery...  NEVER throw these on the shore! (notwithstanding the fact that it's also illegal...)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2

1 hour ago, DonkeyHodey said:

Too many "fisherman" think these are trash fish and fail to recognize their critical role in a healthy fishery... 

Absolutely.  Although they are technically considered a "rough fish" by the DNR, they play a critical role as a food source for many game fish.  In lakes and rivers that lack tulibees, they are often the top forage for muskies too.  Additionally, they are native to our state whereas the carp species which look similar, are not.

Edited by gimruis

Any fish thrown on shore should be slammed into the slobs face that did it. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1