• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a Reminder

To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1

New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️

Screenshot_20210302-075340~2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Long overdue in my opinion

You can say that again.  A statewide limit for panfish should be cut in half.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

X 3 should of happened years ago!!!!  Just a FYI Long lake on the S end of chain is part of the regulation but is listed all by itself in the regs.  Sadly many of the new restriction lakes statewide  I have fished for years  and are already on a downside. These new limit changes may not be the answer on all the systems, time will tell on some lakes.  But new regs should at least  maintain the quality to some degree.  Now implement a slot limit and no fishing during the spawn  statewide on panfish and they will really be on to something.  IMO  all Gills 9 and over should  go back and crappies over 12. Now the scary part is I can see many meat hunters harvesting all the big fish hopefully not!  Many will feel like it's there right and privelage to.  If  they can only keep 5 or 10  most meat hunters will keep the biggest fish in the system  to unfortunately get more bang for there buck. Just remember education, self restraint, and common sense while fishing will allow us ,our kids, grandkids and great grandkids to enjoy what we all love and that's giant panfish ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Its more about the mindset going in and the culture than regulations.  Some new regs might help if you enforce them.  All you have to do is look at posters on this very website to see the massive quantity of panfish being harvested.  And with the new sonar technology advancing on a seemingly never-ending basis, its only to add more pressure.

I constantly argue with my own Father about this.  When we panfish together (which is maybe 3 times all year in the spring), he grumbles every time I release an 11 inch crappie.  But when we go bass fishing, he doesn't even think twice about keeping one.  Its the mindset he has targeting one versus the other.

Edited by gimruis

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I keep fish a about half the time I fish or less and I am very selective on what goes in my bucket. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Its more about the mindset going in and the culture than regulations.  Some new regs might help if you enforce them.  All you have to do is look at posters on this very website to see the massive quantity of panfish being harvested.  And with the new sonar technology advancing on a seemingly never-ending basis, its only to add more pressure.

I constantly argue with my own Father about this.  When we panfish together (which is maybe 3 times all year in the spring), he grumbles every time I release an 11 inch crappie.  But when we go bass fishing, he doesn't even think twice about keeping one.  Its the mindset he has targeting one versus the other.

Regulations in this instance is meant to preserve a resource meant for all.

I find most who post here have a very healthy CPR ethic. Occasionally keeping wild fish meals is also healthy.

The regulations are merely a check to ensure those with a 'keep all mindset" don't abuse the resource.

I hope you're doing your part @gimruis to ensure a kind and generous of heart mindset.

Words mean things.

15 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Gimrius I personally take a little offense to this if this is directed to myself and some of the others that post fish pics here quite often.

I didn't specifically blame you or anyone else.  If you felt that I did, I apologize.  But I am quite sure that when someone posts a bucket of fish or a bunch of them sitting on the ice, they aren't going back.  In fact, when someone posts a photo of a large sunfish or crappie, I already assume that the fish is released.  I would certainly HOPE that's the case to benefit all of us.

This new regulation would not exist now if there was not a problem.  As I previously stated, I personally know individuals, even in my own family, that heavily contribute to this problem.  A new bag limit of 5 sunfish isn't going to make much of a dent.  Instead of keeping 20, they'll just keep the biggest 5 they catch.  And the harvesting of big bluegills has already been established as problematic that has led to this very restriction.  Either that or they'll just go to another lake and start harvesting there instead.  There also seems to be a lack of enforcement with existing laws as Conservation Officers simply can't keep up.

I have not kept a single fish in several years now.  And even before that, the number I kept could be counted on one hand.  I do enjoy the taste of a fresh fish fry on occasion but I strongly feel that too many of them are being harvested by others and I am determined not to contribute to that.  There was a time in my life many years ago when a day of fishing was defined by how many fish I came home with.  I'm past that.  Way past it.  Many years ago there used to be a quality population of perch in Mille Lacs.  We'd go out to Isle Bay in the fall every year and pile into those things by the dozen.  We always went home with some and they tasted great.  But looking back on that now, it was shameful and selfish because that resource is non-existent anymore.  I contributed to the demise of it over and over and over.  It still bothers me and we're heading down that path with other fish too.

I realize my opinion will offend or differentiate with others, including yours Icehawk.  Thank you for being honest.

i was kinda on the fence with this........ personally i could live with a 10 fish limit............not sure about the 5. i fished a lake that has had a 5 limit sunfish. they were easy to find and catch, and while not huge but nice. its a landlocked lake, no inlet or outlet....... not sure if that is a thing or not when setting these limits.

lakes in our area here, carnelian and pleasant come to mind that had had the 5 fish limit for a while, never fished the lakes, ........but has it done any good. i heard they are loaded with little dinks.

after reading some comments............i think it be better served if they'd close the season and protect them during the spawn. just my2 pennies.....i know they get pounded also after first ice out.

Another item that I've noticed just milling through threads and photos...I'm significantly younger than most here.  I can't but help wonder that this conversation is directly tied to a generational gap.  I think its the primary reason my views clash with my Father's and it likely plays a role in why my opinion clashes with individuals here too.  Different era, different mindset.

so much for feeding the family, you all seem to be in the boat of just keep a few.   Well i got 6 kids who gotta eat to.   So if I'm by myself, you can bet its in the pail if I can legally keep.   Give me a hard time if you want i dont care i follow the laws/rules/slots.   After talking to a DNR fishery personnel, a 28" walleye most likely not even spawning anymore, but the 22-26 inch ones are supporting the fishery, so releasing the giants only helps 1 fish.   Much less if i have kids with, try telling a 5 or 7 year old you have to throw that back, specially sunnies.   5 sunfish is ridiculous, let the kids go on the dock of some lakes and then tell them 10 minutes later, you are done because you got 5, time to play xbox.   No wonder less people are fishing, i used to go mil lacs once a year, but cant even justify the cost of fuel if you cant keep a fish.   But keep increasing the license cost, more regulations its confusing and makes me wonder if its worth it.   

54 minutes ago, Fishing DA Range and nort said:

so much for feeding the family, you all seem to be in the boat of just keep a few.   Well i got 6 kids who gotta eat to.   So if I'm by myself, you can bet its in the pail if I can legally keep.   Give me a hard time if you want i dont care

Now remember, you said I could give you a hard time! ?

210515A1-B96C-4722-A51B-708EB8C93078.jpeg.1197bc546be88ab7a321481c9ac6f21f.jpeg

So much of the pressure these days is recreational, not subsistence.  I’m gonna assume most consider their catch a bonus or treat rather than a need these days.  Most spend more money to catch their own than it would cost to buy it.  Again, most...

1 hour ago, Fishing DA Range and nort said:

Much less if i have kids with, try telling a 5 or 7 year old you have to throw that back, specially sunnies.   5 sunfish is ridiculous, let the kids go on the dock of some lakes and then tell them 10 minutes later, you are done because you got 5, time to play xbox.  

Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. ?

I have kids.  I take them fishing and taught them that the point is to enjoy your surrounding and the time had rather than the meal that could be.  I rarely, maybe once every couple years do I keep a meal of sunnies, and as for crappies I will keep a meal occasionally, but when I do I do not keep anything over 12.5" and try to stay between 10-12.5"  all over and under go back to keep growing.  I certainly am glad they are regulating panfish more but I wish they would have placed a slot on bigger sunfish and crappies...something like 1 over 9" on sunfish and 1 over 13" for crappies.  Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

When the resource gets depleted and there aren't anything left but stunted panfish in our lakes, the anglers responsible for this will start barking at the DNR, claiming that they didn't do enough or barking that the muskie or catfish ate all of them.  When in reality, the only people to blame are standing in the mirror.  Just a matter of time...

Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. 

yes it does if yer on a five fish limit lake.. if ya 5, and catch another yer over limit...  I'm thinking....

• Thumbs Up 1

I said the same thing on the other forum for walleyes.  If the aim is improving fishing and what people can take home, Its a slot that is needed more than a limit.  If you keep a good stock of reproducing fish in the lake the bounty will continue.  Proven time and again.  A slot is way better than a lower limit which does not stop those from filling their freezer, while a slot does stop us from taking a good percentage of breeding stock.  In fact, limits can go up with slots in place.  Maybe better to be proactive on this before your favorite lake is depleted because one by one the lakes are going down in numbers as people discover them and fishing techniques become more sophisticated.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am impressed that you used the correct their. ??

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. 

yes it does if yer on a five fish limit lake.. if ya 5, and catch another yer over limit...  I'm thinking....

Well I suppose that might be worth vetting a little further.  My thought is C&R is legal and you have to “reduce to possession” to be counted in your limit.  Or, if you’re on a good bite, stop keeping at 4 until it slows down, then keep your 5th.  Or, crappies, perch or bass could be in the mix and legal to target even with your limit of sunnies.

If it’s a struggle to get 5 keepers then maybe that 5 fish limit is needed after all?

Keep in mind my view is from a person who rarely keeps his limit of anything even when I’m catching good!  We sometimes have up to 6 people for a family fish fry and I can’t think of a time we didn’t have enough plus a little left over.  But we all fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cull. 

• Yayyyy 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
10 hours ago, gimruis said:

I didn't specifically blame you or anyone else.  If you felt that I did, I apologize.  But I am quite sure that when someone posts a bucket of fish or a bunch of them sitting on the ice, they aren't going back.  In fact, when someone posts a photo of a large sunfish or crappie, I already assume that the fish is released.  I would certainly HOPE that's the case to benefit all of us.

This new regulation would not exist now if there was not a problem.  As I previously stated, I personally know individuals, even in my own family, that heavily contribute to this problem.  A new bag limit of 5 sunfish isn't going to make much of a dent.  Instead of keeping 20, they'll just keep the biggest 5 they catch.  And the harvesting of big bluegills has already been established as problematic that has led to this very restriction.  Either that or they'll just go to another lake and start harvesting there instead.  There also seems to be a lack of enforcement with existing laws as Conservation Officers simply can't keep up.

I have not kept a single fish in several years now.  And even before that, the number I kept could be counted on one hand.  I do enjoy the taste of a fresh fish fry on occasion but I strongly feel that too many of them are being harvested by others and I am determined not to contribute to that.  There was a time in my life many years ago when a day of fishing was defined by how many fish I came home with.  I'm past that.  Way past it.  Many years ago there used to be a quality population of perch in Mille Lacs.  We'd go out to Isle Bay in the fall every year and pile into those things by the dozen.  We always went home with some and they tasted great.  But looking back on that now, it was shameful and selfish because that resource is non-existent anymore.  I contributed to the demise of it over and over and over.  It still bothers me and we're heading down that path with other fish too.

I realize my opinion will offend or differentiate with others, including yours Icehawk.  Thank you for being honest.

Thanks for the honest feedback we all have opinions and not everyone's is right all the time including mine. Yes a bucket of fish are harvested fish and it was his personal decision to keep them. But legally it's that anglers right if he is within his limit to do that. Do we all disagree with that or have sour feelings twoard's that sometime yes. For example I'm on a advisory board for the Sauk river chain of lakes and it's resources. Couple years back we implemented a voluntary 14 inch minimum walleye rule for the chain of lakes. Signs were posted at the access and a few of us respectfully preached to many fisherman locals mostly to try and sustain this to create bigger and more eyes in the system. Does it work to some degree with the right minded people yes. But every summer i have friends that own resorts on the chain and there still are a pile of 12-13 inch walleye carcasses in the fish cleaning houses, do I agree and like it no but is it there right yes. All I can personally do is try and educate them. Just like the new panfish regs all we can do is try and educate and teach people how important it is to the resources and the future. We all realize the DNR (Wardens) are way to little budget cuts have hit hard here.  I'm personal friends with our local conservation officer and the areas him and others  cover now are just way to big to be as effective as we would all like. sad but the truth. You mention you haven't kept a fish in years that's your choice and decision and I respect you for that.

I guess i try to see all sides to the new regs and fully understand viewpoints from all sides. I fish every opportunity I can it's my passion, should i be allowed or do I want to keep fish all the time hell no that's why we have  laws in effect. . A fisherman like me could do some serious damage if it wasn't for laws and restrictions. There's others like me that fish as much or harder than I do. Hence why new rules are being put into effect. There was a day we all fished hand over hand jig sticks and a depth bombs.  Look at how times have changed. The  wheel house crowd has exploded, the days of the old skid house or lugging a 4x6 collapsible out have gone.  In came fish traps and hub houses. Mobility is as great as ever. We hve boats with 300 hp motors spot lock etc.  Almost all serious  fisherman have the latest greatest electronics , some have live scopes,360's .panoptics on there boats and ice. We run the best sticks and reels the days of the zebco 202 is gone. We as fisherman all have become better prepared and are for sure more succesfull than back in the old days. Something has to be done and at least the DNR is listening and trying I give them credit for that. Time will tell if it works but I'm willing to give it a chance. Times have changed for sure!

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Cull. 

Not supposed to do that...  We don’t take it as serious in MN as other states but once it’s in the box, bucket, shore or on the stringer, you own it.

• Thanks 2

You can’t cull from box or bucket? My bucket is full of water and have culled on ice a few times. But only if lively fish

Edited by eyeguy 54

4 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

You can’t cull from box or bucket?

Tournament exception only - from working live wells.  

Been that way for years so if it’s different now it’s been a recent change.  

• Thumbs Up 1

That’s even looser than it was before.  It was always an issue with tournaments and when I fished some of the out of state events you couldn’t cull at all and had to quit fishing once you boxed your limit.  MN tourney limits were always 1 under the state limit to comply.

The culling thing...  While it might be legal, I really don't believe it's very ethical ? Once you deemed a fish worthy of keeping, I don't think you should have the option to release the fish at a later time because your "upgrading" That my friends is the definition of a " meat hunter"  A fish crammed in a bucket, or worse a stagnant live well will likely NOT survive, even though they swim away looking fine ( most gunshot victims don't die right away either?). While there are guys ( like Royce) who wouldn't release a fish that don't look so hot or is already belly up, this much can't be said for all anglers...and we all know how the excitement of catching a better keeper  might cloud our judgement on a moral swap, especially if the smallest fish is dieing.   I really wish the dnr would get their heads out of their a$$ on this issue. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Rick G said:

That my friends is the definition of a " meat hunter"  A fish crammed in a bucket

That was my original point.  A bucket crammed full of panfish is the definition of a meat hunter.

10 minutes ago, Rick G said:

The culling thing...  While it might be legal, I really don't believe it's very ethical ? Once you deemed a fish worthy of keeping, I don't think you should have the option to release the fish at a later time because your "upgrading" That my friends is the definition of a " meat hunter"  A fish crammed in a bucket, or worse a stagnant live well will likely NOT survive, even though they swim away looking fine ( most gunshot victims don't die right away either?). While there are guys ( like Royce) who wouldn't release a fish that don't look so hot or is already belly up, this much can't be said for all anglers...and we all know how the excitement of catching a better keeper  might cloud our judgement on a moral swap, especially if the smallest fish is dieing.   I really wish the dnr would get their heads out of their a$$ on this issue. 

i agree......iffin i already decided that fish was deemed a keeper....its not going back.....i just wish others would quit throwing there little fish in my bucket!!!!?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 3

1 minute ago, gimruis said:

That was my original point.  A bucket crammed full of panfish is the definition of a meat hunter.

Every day... yep, sure the hell is?

But there the guys that only keep a bucket full of eater size fish once a week, and if they eat them before filling their bucket again, it's fine...or once a month, and if they eat them before refilling that bucket, that's fine.... or the guys like me, who only keep a bucket full once a year, if that...and as long as those fish get eaten before filling that bucket again, that's fine too... Nothing against guys getting some to eat..  It's the ones targeting the largest fish in the system, and consuming them... or guys taking their 20 daily or 10 biggest daily, or the freezer fillers.  ethical and responsible harvest is very important, and I'm happy the dnr is starting to take steps in the right direction on select lakes.  

• Thumbs Up 2