• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

are fish finders worth it?

trevortex

Question

Hi,

For those of you who have fished with finders before, how much did the finder really help you? because I got a fishfinder a year ago, and after a whole season of fishing with it, i have never seen a fish on the finder, and caught it. all the fish i have caught have been at random, and never shown up on the finder. May be it can happen because my finder sucks, but If you had good experience, suggest me some good fish finders. 

Thanks

Can’t argue with you guys that Vex is great for ice fishing.  Benh is from FL and reportedly likes to fish the Midwest so I guessed that wasn’t all about ice.  Maybe open water? 👍

1 hour ago, trevortex said:

Hi,

For those of you who have fished with finders before, how much did the finder really help you? because I got a fishfinder a year ago, and after a whole season of fishing with it, i have never seen a fish on the finder, and caught it. all the fish i have caught have been at random, and never shown up on the finder. May be it can happen because my finder sucks, but If you had good experience, suggest me some good fish finders. 

Thanks

Fish finder is not an accurate description in my opinion. Maybe with some of the newer side imaging and wide angle transducers it gets a little better but in the end, what you really use them for is to find bottom depth, bottom composition, weed edges, transitions between hard and soft bottoms or depth or edges of weeds and so forth. 

The most common transducer angle for traditional sonar used is 60 degrees and probably more like 20 degrees with ice packs. A 60 degree cone angle reflects an area from the bottom the diameter of the depth you're fishing so if you're in 15' of water, what you see on the screen is anything that comes into view up to a 15' diameter at the very bottom and less diameter moving up in the water column. Example, if you see a fish at 10' down it is within a 10' diameter area. At that depth, I'd be willing to bet that fish have moved out as your boat moves by so you may not see too many. It is this fish migration that makes outriggers effective.

Can you see fish? Sure but I would say it is more likely there are more fish outside the coverage area of your sonar unit. 

Are they worth it? I believe so especially for locating those transition areas I spoke of and coupled with a good GPS mapping software they can be very well used to locate mid-lake humps and other structure. They can also be worth their weight in gold if you're on a lake known for hazards like rocks and such. An example might be Lake Traverse or Big Stone. 

I know there are guys that will not fish an area if they don't see fish on the sonar but I think they are omitting a lot of opportunity. 

Just my :2c:.

Edited by BobT
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BobT said:

They can also be worth their weight in gold if you're on a lake known for hazards like rocks and such

At the very least, every watercraft that can move at a reasonable speed should have basic sonar so they know how deep it is, just purely for safety purposes.  I would never fire up an outboard motor and start cruising along unless I knew it was deep enough, and basic sonar indicates that.  You can't tell how deep an area is just by looking at it.

I've never fished without modern GPS in a boat.  My family always had one in our boat growing up along with sonar.  So its something I'm just used to having as both a tool to locate and tool of navigation.  I also fish at night sometimes and going out without GPS on a reasonable sized lake is a bad idea.  Water temperature is also a basic measurement that I find very useful at certain times of the year.  Fish are looking for warmer water in the spring and fall.

Modern electronics are constantly advancing and improving.  Even if you buy a new one now, its probably going to seem outdated in a couple years.  Most people can't afford to upgrade their electronics every year.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even though I only have a vexilar for summer and winter fishing it's a world of difference to be able to tell the bottom transitions. I predominantly fish for walleye where knowing when it goes from rock to mud and break lines. Without it I'd aimlessly be fishing in the middle of a lake. I also have a handheld GPS and I use that to get me close but the fidhfinfer gets the finer details 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 hours ago, trevortex said:

Hi,

Thanks

Fish locators tell you if there is fish there. If your not seeing fish once in a while on your locator. Move spots or to another lake. Your the "fish finder", get a lake map and find out where they may be and use your locator to check.  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just getting a flasher was revolutionary for me...knowing the depth is critical but you could also tell if it is weedy, rocky, or muddy.  I now have a Helix-9 with down and side imaging and of course the map and I love it.  The fish marking ability is helpful especially outside the weed line but it is so much more than that.  In deeper water (15+) if I am not seeing fish I rarely catch a lot of fish.

I spend hours just looking at the lake bottom!  When I catch fish I am looking at the pattern on the bottom.  I then look for other parts of the lake with a similar pattern and usually they are productive as well.  Looking at down and regular imaging at the same time I can differentiate better what is a weed and what is a fish.  Side imaging tells me how close I am to the weed line so I can keep right on the edge without getting hung up when trolling.

Very much looking forward to this season when my Helix is connected to my trolling motor for following contours or holding a spot via GPS lock.

Won’t fish without it. We drilled about 75 holes today. Fish like to move on the bay we fished. Many holes nothing but some were great. Then gone and at a hole that was zip before.  Drop the jig and wiggle and watch them come up for a visit or a bite. ? used three different combos today and all worked great. 

89A50491-D93C-4CC8-A5C4-2D78F62D965D.jpeg

3B3DFFE9-5CD4-47E2-85A8-FB71016856C0.jpeg

554DF5D4-599D-4E63-80D4-BF64BDBD875E.jpeg

1994DB57-89FC-4F47-A925-F81771CADBA2.jpeg

9ED3C41A-6496-49D8-900B-B1C14FA1E320.jpeg

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thx for the beautiful 36 inch ultra light rod @Rick G!  Awesome rod!!!

• l Love It 1

Yes, a fish finder is definitely worth the investment.  Not only will it help you identify fish and your bait. It's also a great tool for finding weeds,  down trees and brush piles, soft or hard bottom areas and baitfish.  They are a tool, and like pretty much every other tool, the better ones will work as intended. I myself use a Vexilar flasher, but Hummingbird, Marcum or Garmin all make "ice fishing" package units.  I would recommend a Vexilar fl-8 or a marcum  lx-3 as rock solid entry level fish finders that will surely help you see and hopefully catch more fish.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think there is some confusion about this.  After reading some responses, its obvious some are referring to ice fishing and some are referring to open water fishing from a boat.  The OP didn't clarify which one though.  While some units are designed for both and can be converted, some can't.  Make sure you check the manual to see if you can as cold temps can ruin a screen if its not designed for it.

I don't specifically use my Lowrance electronics from my boat for ice fishing.  Never have, never will.

Also, the term "fish finder" is really not accurate anymore.  It doesn't really do that.  Its not like you turn it on and whammo it takes you to where the fish are.  There are various types of electronics from sonar to GPS to flashers, etc but none of them should be referred to as fish finders anymore.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Fish Finders" are Sonar. They provide information on whats in the water below you. Typically the more you spend, the greater the information provided. A basic sonar easily defines bottom, weeds, fish, structures etc. You need to interpret what its telling you. I would not go fishing without one.

This sonar shows a "bait ball" in 5 to 13 FOW. Above the ball are a few smaller fish (pan fish) below larger larger fish (walleye, pike). Hard bottom at 19 ft and  water temp.

841287944_SPbaitfish.thumb.PNG.413ee382fb7f7f31ba82ca9b11e417f3.PNG

A more expensive unit like the Helix 9 has basic sonar, down image, side image showing below and each side of you. Love fishing with this unit.

20200912_093821.thumb.jpg.d399171ad41e1d43e77b4c7772155554.jpg

Under ice is most commonly a flasher. Vexilar, Marcum, Garmin etc. Shows your jig/bait and when fish are near your bait. 

20200221_111729.thumb.jpg.05843cae29900c39fbde1566a136799a.jpg

The underwater camera provides a live image on how fish react to your fishing technique. You can learn a lot ice fishing with a camera. 

Edited by papadarv
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Fish finder. Probably just meant fish locator. It’s winter so I just assumed thru ice. ?

14 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Thx for the beautiful 36 inch ultra light rod @Rick G!  Awesome rod!!!

You looking for a hoody or sumtin? ?

• Yayyyy 1

6 hours ago, papadarv said:

"Fish Finders" are Sonar. They provide information on whats in the water below you. Typically the more you spend, the greater the information provided. A basic sonar easily defines bottom, weeds, fish, structures etc. You need to interpret what its telling you. I would not go fishing without one.

This sonar shows a "bait ball" in 5 to 13 FOW. Above the ball are a few smaller fish (pan fish) below larger larger fish (walleye, pike). Hard bottom at 19 ft and  water temp.

A more expensive unit like the Helix 9 has basic sonar, down image, side image showing below and each side of you. Love fishing with this unit.

Under ice is most commonly a flasher. Vexilar, Marcum, Garmin etc. Shows your jig/bait and when fish are near your bait. 

The underwater camera provides a live image on how fish react to your fishing technique. You can learn a lot ice fishing with a camera. 

What is the 78% value displayed in the first image? I've never seen that on a sonar screen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, BobT said:

What is the 78% value displayed in the first image? I've never seen that on a sonar screen. 

Its my Vexilar SonarPhone runs wireless to my Samsung 10" tablet. The 78% is the density of the sonar return signal. Lower value reduces noise. I usually run at 50%. I cranked it up for better definition of the multitude of fish. And yes those big fish images below the bait ball were Northern.

If this is a winter question then that is a different answer.  You can combine this with a camera to get additional info.  But, since the sonar is directly above the bait, if you don't see any fish on the sonar, you will not catch a fish.

Hi! I have a fish finder and it usually really helps. I love having one in my kayak. where I live the water is always muddy, so you have no idea what is down there without one. Me and a couple friends fished an area not long ago that was 3 to 10 feet deep pretty much everywhere, but it was super hot out and I knew fish would be in deeper water. Paddled around and found an area that dropped off to 20+ feet deep, dropped some bait down in the hole and pulled up 3 black drum over 15 pounds. So, personally, I don't know why it doesn't help you...

Screenshot_2.png.57633fc657c3ceabe524152885f6c00d.png

There are different kinds of fishing gadgets, but do they help catch fish? Fish finders aren't cheap at all, but they provide you a view into the underwater world. If you hang around a marina or boat launch or where fishers' boats are, you'll notice that almost every boat has a fish finder. It is a necessary device, but it's a waste of money for most people because it doesn't enable them to catch more fish. There are various causes for that.

What are Fish Finders?

Fish finders are electronic devices using sonar waves to scan the underlying water of the transducer. Typically, two main components compose a fish finder: a transducer that checks the water with sonar, and a receiver gathers the data and re-transfers them into images. Although the recipient for most fish finds is an autonomous huge screen display, the fish finders synchronize with your cellphone making your smartphone the receiver.

Why Your Fish Finder Is A Waste Of Money or Is a Fish Finder Worth it on a Kayak? Are Fish Finders Useful?

The addition of a fish finder to your kayak can give you a clear edge, but is it worth a fishing trip? It definitely deserves a fish finder on your kayak. Of course, you can catch fish without one on your kayak, but installing a fish finder can be a changeover to your game.

You may mark essential fishing areas, important structures, examine water temperature, and use digital lake mapping and other functionalities. Fish finders are useful if you know how to read your data and use it effectively. Scout wide stretches of water and find great fishing spots.

You can identify structure, drop-offs, main waterways, and underwater weeds, all with a fish finder if you know how to analyze your imagery. I appreciate most about them because I can also see what depth the fish are floating at. Using this tool, I can identify which jig, worm, crankbait, or spinner to use depending on the situation. Shad and other baitfish schools are essential for catching a wide range of bait.

Final Thoughts

I always believed saving money and fishing without a fish finder r was a smart idea. However, when I eventually purchased one, I discovered how important they are. Fish Finders are really worthwhile, I promise. Initially, it may seem expensive, but in the long term, you will notice the benefits.

Edited by katekemp
Add Extra Value

On 2/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, papadarv said:

How Important Are Fish Finders?

There are a lot of boat and kayaks out there that are rigged with a variety of fish finders. People will often ask how important are fish finders and are they worth they expense? So, how important are fish finders? In my opinion fish finders are a great investment and is one that will keep you safe and enhance your overall fishing experience. Do you need one to catch fish? The simple answer is no. but it can give you some distinct advantages that will help you be more successful.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2021 at 11:32 PM, katekemp said:

Screenshot_2.png.57633fc657c3ceabe524152885f6c00d.png

There are different kinds of fishing gadgets, but do they help catch fish? Fish finders aren't cheap at all, but they provide you a view into the underwater world. If you hang around a marina or boat launch or where fishers' boats are, you'll notice that almost every boat has a fish finder. It is a necessary device, but it's a waste of money for most people because it doesn't enable them to catch more fish. There are various causes for that.

What are Fish Finders?

Fish finders are electronic devices using sonar waves to scan the underlying water of the transducer. Typically, two main components compose a fish finder: a transducer that checks the water with sonar, and a receiver gathers the data and re-transfers them into images. Although the recipient for most fish finds is an autonomous huge screen display, the fish finders synchronize with your cellphone making your smartphone the receiver.

Why Your Fish Finder Is A Waste Of Money or Is a Fish Finder Worth it on a Kayak? Are Fish Finders Useful?

The addition of a fish finder to your kayak can give you a clear edge, but is it worth a fishing trip? It definitely deserves a fish finder on your kayak. Of course, you can catch fish without one on your kayak, but installing a fish finder can be a changeover to your game.

You may mark essential fishing areas, important structures, examine water temperature, and use digital lake mapping and other functionalities. Fish finders are useful if you know how to read your data and use it effectively. Scout wide stretches of water and find great fishing spots.

You can identify structure, drop-offs, main waterways, and underwater weeds, all with a fish finder if you know how to analyze your imagery. I appreciate most about them because I can also see what depth the fish are floating at. Using this tool, I can identify which jig, worm, crankbait, or spinner to use depending on the situation. Shad and other baitfish schools are essential for catching a wide range of bait.

Final Thoughts

I always believed saving money and fishing without a fish finder r was a smart idea. However, when I eventually purchased one, I discovered how important they are. Fish Finders are really worthwhile, I promise. Initially, it may seem expensive, but in the long term, you will notice the benefits.

Thanks for your informative article.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think when your ice fishing a fish finder is your most essential piece of gear it makes a worlds difference to be able to hole hop and find different areas and see fish chasing. In the summer time it is not as essential but it can give you a huge advantage if you know how to use your unit right.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, BobT said:

Fish finder is not an accurate description in my opinion. Maybe with some of the newer side imaging and wide angle transducers it gets a little better but in the end, what you really use them for is to find bottom depth, bottom composition, weed edges, transitions between hard and soft bottoms or depth or edges of weeds and so forth. 

The most common transducer angle for traditional sonar used is 60 degrees and probably more like 20 degrees with ice packs. A 60 degree cone angle reflects an area from the bottom the diameter of the depth you're fishing so if you're in 15' of water, what you see on the screen is anything that comes into view up to a 15' diameter at the very bottom and less diameter moving up in the water column. Example, if you see a fish at 10' down it is within a 10' diameter area. At that depth, I'd be willing to bet that fish have moved out as your boat moves by so you may not see too many. It is this fish migration that makes outriggers effective.

Can you see fish? Sure but I would say it is more likely there are more fish outside the coverage area of your sonar unit. 

Are they worth it? I believe so especially for locating those transition areas I spoke of and coupled with a good GPS mapping software they can be very well used to locate mid-lake humps and other structure. They can also be worth their weight in gold if you're on a lake known for hazards like rocks and such. An example might be Lake Traverse or Big Stone. 

I know there are guys that will not fish an area if they don't see fish on the sonar but I think they are omitting a lot of opportunity. 

Just my :2c:.

Agreed!

On 7/28/2021 at 4:55 PM, Austin12345 said:

I think when your ice fishing a fish finder is your most essential piece of gear it makes a worlds difference to be able to hole hop and find different areas and see fish chasing. In the summer time it is not as essential but it can give you a huge advantage if you know how to use your unit right.  

Agree.

I get a lot of crap but I still run my fl-8 I bought in high school in 1996. I had the brushes redone three times and on my third transducer. Until I get showed something that makes me need to upgrade I am good. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Benh said:

I believe fish finders are worth it and I'm in the market for a new one in 2022, if anyone has suggestions.

Summer, Hummingbird makes some very nice units. I own a couple helix models, love them.

Winter- vexilar...they are built to last. Mine just fell off my kitchen counter this week, not a scratch on it and still works as it should. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I get a lot of crap but I still run my fl-8 I bought in high school in 1996. I had the brushes redone three times and on my third transducer. Until I get showed something that makes me need to upgrade I am good. 

I still have the one I bought in the mid 90s too...hasn't been turned on in couple years, but I know it still works.... Infact I still have All the vexilars I ever owned...2 8s a 20 and now a 28😁

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

I like my fl8 as well. Still have my old Clearwater classic that works well except the mice chewed up my self leveling transducer. Wish I could find a different transducer, but I do use it in summer to find depths on in-laws lake in their old pontoon. 

I just ordered 2 new helix 7s and a terrova at Channel Marine. Looking forward to open water with the new toys if and when they get them in.

I wouldn't even consider launching my boat without at least a basic form of electronics anymore.  For me, there is an element of safety involved.  If I don't know how deep it is, I'm not going to throttle down, and jump up on plane which risks running into shallow water.  You can't just look at the water's surface and tell how deep it is all the time.

Second, I've never really fished without at least basic color 2-D sonar and GPS in the boat.  We always had one growing up in the family boat and I have 2 units on my current rig.  I just not old enough to remember the days when people fished without modern electronics.  I fish some big lakes and I also fish at night.  Doing either one of those without GPS nowadays is a suicide mission.

Edited by gimruis