• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Combo license changes

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

New rules for purchasing a combination license in MN. 

DNR adjusts how married anglers and hunters buy combination licenses
Both members of married couples who want to purchase a combination angling or hunting license in person will need to be present at the sales location starting Feb. 18, when the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will begin requiring both spouses to provide and verify their own complete customer records on file to purchase a combination license.
“These changes will bring the DNR into compliance with state and federal laws that require collecting this information for angling or hunting license sales,” said Steve Michaels, licensing program director. “The information helps prevent licenses being sold to people with violations or unpaid fines.”
Customers will continue to pay the same price for combination licenses, which are discounted compared with purchasing two individual licenses.
When purchasing a combination license in person, both spouses must be present, and, if age 21 or older, also must provide their current Minnesota driver’s licenses or identification cards. If both spouses are not present, the person present may purchase their part of the license and their spouse may obtain their license at a later date at no additional charge.
If a spouse does not have a record on file with the DNR, that spouse can create one with their full name, birth date, social security number. If they are a Minnesota resident age 21 or older, they also will need a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification card. They can create their record anywhere DNR licenses are sold, or call the DNR license center at 877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. New resident customer records for people age 21 and over cannot be created online.
“Thank you to all our license purchasers for patience adjusting to these changes and for buying a license,” Michaels said. “Your license dollars pay for a great deal of DNR conservation work and leverage more federal funding that supports hunting and fishing opportunities and habitat work.”
The DNR offers the following married combination licenses:
Angling, valid for fishing.
Conservation angling, valid for half the possession limit, per spouse.
Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses and small game hunting for one spouse.
Super Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses, small game for one spouse, includes two state trout stamps, and waterfowl and pheasant stamps for one spouse. It also offers the choice of a firearm, archery or muzzleloader deer license for one spouse.
Family nonresident angling, valid for one or both parents and dependent children under age 16.

Also check out the DNR website - https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/combo.html

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1
monstermoose78

Look at the super sportsman license it’s a good deal

gimruis

This rule sucks.  What it will likely do is eliminate some spouses from participating.  I buy a combo conservation angling license with my wife every year because she goes with about 3 times/year.  But she never goes with when I buy it.  Well now I either have to drag her along or she's gonna have to go get it herself.  What is more likely to occur now is that she simply won't buy one and subsequently won't be fishing anymore.  More hoops to jump through.  The DNR talks about adding new participants all the time with special seasons and youth seasons but they create hurdles like this.  How about trying to use retention of current participants too?

• Thumbs Up 4
smurfy

i personally dont see this as a huge issue.........yea when i told my wife yesterday that she'll have to come with when we need to get new license i got the old eyeroll....but its not the end of the world. 

she had to do it the first time around with i beleive giving the SSN. the purpose is to get deadbeats to pay child support.......which in the long run does affect taxes you pay.  my stepson cant drive or get a hunting or fishing license because he is behind on child support .........and i fully support this!!!!!

ozzie

I don't get how this helps any of the issues.  Can we not buy our licenses online?  I did last year.  I don't see where they say I can't this year.  I don't understand how this is going to help situations like the one above.  Their computer system should be able to tell the spouse upon purchase that their is an issue and they are unable to buy said license.  I don't understand...

smurfy
1 hour ago, ozzie said:

I don't get how this helps any of the issues.  Can we not buy our licenses online?  I did last year.  I don't see where they say I can't this year.  I don't understand how this is going to help situations like the one above.  Their computer system should be able to tell the spouse upon purchase that their is an issue and they are unable to buy said license.  I don't understand...

Are you referring to the child support thing??

From what I read you can still get your license online, just need some of your wife's information handy.

eyeguy 54
2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Are you referring to the child support thing??

From what I read you can still get your license online, just need some of your wife's information handy.

You should have that memorized 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
smurfy
1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

You should have that memorized 😉

Nope.🥴 no way I'm answering the weight question.😇

• Yayyyy 1
eyeguy 54
1 minute ago, smurfy said:

Nope.🥴 no way I'm answering the weight question.😇

Lie silly. 

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1
ozzie

yes I was referring to the child support thing, if that is a reason they feel they need both spouses at the store to purchase.  If my wife was behind on child support and I went to buy a combo license, and my spouse was not eligible to get a license because of her back child support due, why couldn't they just tell me I could not purchase that license as their is an issue with my wife's eligibility?   Why is her being present going to change this scenario?

As for your wife's information don't screw up eye color either!  And shoot low on the weight and she can't get mad...shoot accurate or high and you most likely will end up in the doghouse! 🤣  

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~

The new rule just keeps beer belly Bob from Brainerd who dont even have a wife. From buying a combo and having two limits. 😏

• Yayyyy 1
On 2/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, gimruis said:

This rule sucks.  What it will likely do is eliminate some spouses from participating.  I buy a combo conservation angling license with my wife every year because she goes with about 3 times/year.  But she never goes with when I buy it.  Well now I either have to drag her along or she's gonna have to go get it herself.  What is more likely to occur now is that she simply won't buy one and subsequently won't be fishing anymore.  More hoops to jump through.  The DNR talks about adding new participants all the time with special seasons and youth seasons but they create hurdles like this.  How about trying to use retention of current participants too?

It looks like a spouse could purchase online instead of appearing in person. Just have to be able to provide the needed information.

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The new rule just keeps beer belly Bob from Brainerd who dont even have a wife. From buying a combo and having two limits. 😏

That doesn't work if Bob's fishing alone. 

leech~~
5 hours ago, BobT said:

That doesn't work if Bob's fishing alone. 

Bob, tell Bob from Brainerd!  😅

• Yayyyy 1
gimruis
14 hours ago, BobT said:

It looks like a spouse could purchase online instead of appearing in person. Just have to be able to provide the needed information.

Ya that's most likely what will happen in my situation and others too.  The side effect will be less people buying them in person.  Which will suck for some businesses because whenever I buy licenses at a retail store I almost always buy other stuff with it like some fishing tackle or a box of ammo.  I'm kinda surprised the retail industry didn't push back on this.

• Thumbs Up 1
Grainbelt
On 2/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, ozzie said:

And shoot low on the weight and she can't get mad...shoot accurate or high and you most likely will end up in the doghouse! 

My wife has been at 120lbs for the last 28 years, she smiles when I hand her the license. 

• Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1
Getanet

There was a ton of crying on Facebook about this. Honestly don't see what the big deal is. Not that hard to have your spouse come with you when you buy a license. I think most people are just preprogrammed to complain about any change - unless it was one they were pushing for.

• Thumbs Up 1
whateverisbiting

I have been purchasing an on line combo license for a long time now.  It's way easier anyway.  Even did that for my Canada trip.  Pissed me off that no one else did and we had to wait for 4 hours for the store to open in the city before we could proceed to the lake.

gimruis
5 hours ago, Getanet said:

Honestly don't see what the big deal is. Not that hard to have your spouse come with you when you buy a license.

Its not a big deal.  Its an inconvenience is what it is.  And if the DNR is trying get more diverse demographics such as women into outdoor activities, creating another hoop to jump through like this is not helping that cause.

Getanet
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Its not a big deal.  Its an inconvenience is what it is.  And if the DNR is trying get more diverse demographics such as women into outdoor activities, creating another hoop to jump through like this is not helping that cause.

I've been very impressed with how many women and minorities have been posting on ice fishing Facebook groups this year. I don't think a 5-minute pit stop is going to make or break the cause. 

• Thumbs Up 1
Wanderer
4 hours ago, papadarv said:

My solution simple. Wife hasn't fished in 30 years, both my kids 48 & 50. Combo license not required. After a few years of marriage one learns respect and understanding. If she wants fish/seafood its off to red lobster. After last night its off to fishing with my son.

20210223_140312.thumb.jpg.819b730dc33477c61ba003eee8577c3b.jpg

Congrats @papadarv!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
gimruis
15 hours ago, Getanet said:

I don't think a 5-minute pit stop is going to make or break the cause. 

Neither do I.  But another obstacle might stop a few.  Plus if some people simply buy them online instead, that's one less trip into a retail store.  I don't know about you, but I buy other stuff when I buy my license too.  In the grand scheme of things at this time with the maximum number of people taking to the outdoors, the difference will likely not even be noticeable or measurable.

This is how I see it playing out in my house.

Me to the wife: "I can't buy your half of the couples license anymore for you.  So you have to either go get it yourself or come with."

Wife to me: "Ok."

A month later: "I'll just not fish this season."

That's one less because of an extra obstacle they've made.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
smurfy

My wife has been in the boat once in the last 2 years, hasnt been on the ice in 4 years. Still is still not having a problem coming with to get the license. 

My take is if they don't want to make the trip, don't and sucks to be them.

gimruis
10 minutes ago, smurfy said:

My take is if they don't want to make the trip, don't and sucks to be them.

So you're content having one less person participate then?

Seems to me that the DNR is always trying to include more in the outdoors that normally don't do it.  Whether that be a special youth season, a license-free weekend of fishing, more female participants, etc.  This blatantly goes against that.  Its completely hypocritical.

I'm actually on board with less people participating too.  That includes every demographic out there during every legal hunting and fishing season we have here.

smurfy

Whether or not whatever the DNR does to try to get more people involved in outdoor activities, if those they target aren't interested, there just not going.  That interest will be instilled in them by there parents and up bringing.

This might come across as kinda harsh, but I could care less if my neighbor or anyone else participated. If someone asked me to take them out that gas never been I'd be all over it 

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis
5 minutes ago, smurfy said:

This might come across as kinda harsh, but I could care less if my neighbor or anyone else participated.

It is kinda harsh, but I totally agree with it Smurfy.  Someone has to have the will power to participate.  If they don't have that, its not on me to try and push it.  Even if they are my own wife.

I was simply trying to point out that what the DNR is doing on this particular new rule isn't helping generate more participation.  It may actually reduce it.  Which doesn't make a whole lotta sense considering everything else they are trying to do to get more involved.

• Thumbs Up 1
smurfy

I hear ya but there are ALOT of things that the DNR or politicians do  that make no sense.😅

• Thumbs Up 1
ozzie

My wife has fished maybe 2 times in the past 3 years, but each year I buy her a license in the event she says yes to joining me one evening on the lake.  With the extra hoop, many may not buy the extra license, which would mean less revenue for the DNR.  It is small potatoes in the grand scheme of life but it is another obstacle created for reasons that just don't make sense.  Oh well life goes on...

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.  
      Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.  
      Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now.
      Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.  
      Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day.
      Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.  
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine.
      Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.  
      Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye action this week with numerous pike mixed in.  Walleyes are starting to gravitate to fall patterns.  Walleyes being caught in various depths 13 - 34 feet of water.  Most anglers are still drifting with spinners or trolling crankbaits, but the jig bite is picking up steam. 
      Water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  
      Reef fishing is starting to pick up.  Jigging with a frozen shiner on or near reefs is a fall goto and things are just starting.
      September and October are excellent months to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchored up with a jig and minnow, this is a fun time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners are continuing to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far and walleyes are showing up.  Anglers are catching fish in the river.  Fall is here.
      Most walleye anglers on the river will anchor up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  Fishing is taking place from Wheeler's Point to Baudette to Birchdale.
      Fall is a great time to fish sturgeon, bass and pike on the river, although the vast majority of anglers are after walleyes.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow is effective.  Minnows on some days are starting to be preferred by the walleyes.  Try both.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  Some nice fish boated this week.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• AnglerJake
      By AnglerJake
      Heading up to Garden Lake Resort Sep 16 - 24. Any reports or tips from up there? Thanks!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really strong week of walleye fishing.  
      One of the main areas to fish is still deep mud.  Basically 28 - 34 feet of water.  Various schools of walleyes move around the basin relating to different kinds of forage.  
      Big walleyes eat a lot of everything but really key in on tullibees (ciscos) who live primarily in the basin.  Other forage can be perch, perch minnows, emerald shiners, blood worms, crayfish, and the list goes on.  
      Various schools holding shallower, over rocks or sand, based on bait options in that area.  Reefs are still holding fish, normally on the sides and base where rock meets the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are still very effective for catching walleyes this week.
      As we approach mid to late September and October, the jig bite will fire back up!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes hanging out in some of the deeper holes throughout the river.  Moving up and down the river, hitting numerous spots until you find which areas have walleyes is a good method for success.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits to cover water.  Oftentimes, walleyes won't show up on electronics if they are laying in a depression in the river bottom.  Only way to know is to fish the area.
      Bass and pike are plentiful on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler is effective.
      Underwater points, sunken islands and neck down areas with a bit of current in 18 - 27 feet holding fish.  These areas are good areas to jig.
      Pike and muskie anglers are still finding good fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW, the NW Angle, Baudette and the Rainy River at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Draht
      By Draht
      www.fuyu-outdoors.com
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The walleye fishing remains good.  It really helps to be versatile.  It seems one day fish are set up in an area and the next they slid somewhere else.  
      There has been some good fishing in 25-29' in front of Pine Island.  When the south wind blows, the Zippel Bay and Graceton Beach area have been productive.  These fish have been in the 17-21' area and are mainly small fish and eaters with some slots thrown in.
      Still big numbers of fish in various areas of the deep mud, 28-24'.  
      Reefs are still holding some fish as well.  Fish could be on top, on the sides or relating to the deep mud just off of the edges over the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are the goto techniques for putting fish in the boat.
      Hammered gold with glow white or glow red, yellow, orange and red/white are colors doing well.  
      The top team in the AIM MN Championship on Friday and Saturday had 88.62 lbs for 10 walleyes to take first place.  Some big fish were caught despite windy conditions.   
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, bass, and sturgeon.  Spinners / crawlers or trolling crankbaits are a good way to locate walleyes.  Some walleyes holding in deep holes can be jigged once you find them.  
      Bass and pike holding on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish as there are various pods scattered in the deep mud.
      Various structure, such as underwater points and sunken islands, are also holding some walleyes, as they normally do.  Not all walleyes in the system are keyed into the same forage.  
      Pike and muskie anglers finding fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle now open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      To travel up to the Angle and avoid the border crossing, vaccination cards and COVID test results, charter boat transport and float planes are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• cherokeeref
      By cherokeeref
      Wondering what water levels are compared to a normal year? Will be up early/mid September. Thx in advance.
    • chaffmj
      By chaffmj
      Took a trip out fishing to a couple of lakes guided by my friend Rob from Ely Fishing Guide Company with my son and son in-law. We caught some eater walleyes in the first lake we went to. Took a break for lunch, then hit up a small lake for rainbow trout.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JBMasterAngler
      The mouth of the creek is quite a ways downstream from the landing, and you’ll have to cross several peoples’ docks. Entire stream is surrounded by private property. Sure, you can technically legally access the stream, but why would you want to bother with the headache of dealing with landowners that DON’T want you there? Stream is small enough to step across in most places, it’s very weedy, and lot’s of overhanging brush. Not to mention, below average at best numbers of small trout!   You want easy access? Buy a Wisconsin license! Right across the river in Pierce County alone, there’s hundreds of miles of public easements on trout streams that are ten times better than anything Minnesota has to offer!
    • JerkinLips
      Pike suckers are about 3½ inches long.  Walleyes really like them in the fall and early winter.  Caught my fish in 13-15 FOW drifting slowly.  Good solid bites.
    • delcecchi
    • JN13
    • fishingMN4eyes
      Got up Thursday evening to rain and pretty heavy wind Friday morning had us holding off on putting the boat in the water. Fished briefly Friday evening at sunset and picked up an 18" and a couple smalls. Fishing was decent Saturday morning but no real size, everything was 12-15". I had one that looked to be 17"ish flop off as I was trying to flip it into the boat. All the fish we caught were in 17-22'. We were fishing around about a 6' top but never caught anything on top. They appeared to be relating to the structure but not actually on it. Tried again Saturday evening for a couple hours and continued to pick up small walleye just like the morning. Sunday was windy again but we decided to slug it out for awhile and caught one decent perch and one small walleye. We fished similar depths and spots as Saturday but they weren't there. Marked them out in 35'+ but didn't feel like fighting the wind out in the big water so we called it quits around noon and never went back out(the wind never really did lay down or we may have tried again). Jig/minnow way outfished bottom bouncers/crawlers. Wish bottom bouncers would have worked better because it was tough to keep a jig down as fast as we were drifting and we never found a school to spot lock on.
    • Mike89
      that last pic is great!!   Hazel is saying oppps!!!  
    • MikeG3Boat
      I am heading up there tomorrow.  Where do you guys get minnows up in the area?  Tower or Cook or down in Virginia?  I have never heard of pike suckers?  How large are they?  Are you guys fishing the East or West side of the lake?  Let me know.  I am thinking of fishing the East side tomorrow and then headed to the west side from Thursday thru Sunday.  Any help would be appreciated?  I am a newby to the area.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and Hazel are getting along poor Finn get the biggest chomps from the baby shark teeth. Finn and I just want a nap, but we can’t as we are puppy patrol. 
    • monstermoose78
      Crap I am feeling like an old man today. Hazel is not letting Finn and I take a nap, but it is getting Finn and I ready for duck season.
    • JN13
      Asking $1,100 contact me at jen at malcotools.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.