• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Combo license changes

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

New rules for purchasing a combination license in MN. 

DNR adjusts how married anglers and hunters buy combination licenses
Both members of married couples who want to purchase a combination angling or hunting license in person will need to be present at the sales location starting Feb. 18, when the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will begin requiring both spouses to provide and verify their own complete customer records on file to purchase a combination license.
“These changes will bring the DNR into compliance with state and federal laws that require collecting this information for angling or hunting license sales,” said Steve Michaels, licensing program director. “The information helps prevent licenses being sold to people with violations or unpaid fines.”
Customers will continue to pay the same price for combination licenses, which are discounted compared with purchasing two individual licenses.
When purchasing a combination license in person, both spouses must be present, and, if age 21 or older, also must provide their current Minnesota driver’s licenses or identification cards. If both spouses are not present, the person present may purchase their part of the license and their spouse may obtain their license at a later date at no additional charge.
If a spouse does not have a record on file with the DNR, that spouse can create one with their full name, birth date, social security number. If they are a Minnesota resident age 21 or older, they also will need a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification card. They can create their record anywhere DNR licenses are sold, or call the DNR license center at 877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. New resident customer records for people age 21 and over cannot be created online.
“Thank you to all our license purchasers for patience adjusting to these changes and for buying a license,” Michaels said. “Your license dollars pay for a great deal of DNR conservation work and leverage more federal funding that supports hunting and fishing opportunities and habitat work.”
The DNR offers the following married combination licenses:
Angling, valid for fishing.
Conservation angling, valid for half the possession limit, per spouse.
Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses and small game hunting for one spouse.
Super Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses, small game for one spouse, includes two state trout stamps, and waterfowl and pheasant stamps for one spouse. It also offers the choice of a firearm, archery or muzzleloader deer license for one spouse.
Family nonresident angling, valid for one or both parents and dependent children under age 16.

Also check out the DNR website - https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/combo.html

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Look at the super sportsman license it’s a good deal

This rule sucks.  What it will likely do is eliminate some spouses from participating.  I buy a combo conservation angling license with my wife every year because she goes with about 3 times/year.  But she never goes with when I buy it.  Well now I either have to drag her along or she's gonna have to go get it herself.  What is more likely to occur now is that she simply won't buy one and subsequently won't be fishing anymore.  More hoops to jump through.  The DNR talks about adding new participants all the time with special seasons and youth seasons but they create hurdles like this.  How about trying to use retention of current participants too?

• Thumbs Up 4

i personally dont see this as a huge issue.........yea when i told my wife yesterday that she'll have to come with when we need to get new license i got the old eyeroll....but its not the end of the world. 

she had to do it the first time around with i beleive giving the SSN. the purpose is to get deadbeats to pay child support.......which in the long run does affect taxes you pay.  my stepson cant drive or get a hunting or fishing license because he is behind on child support .........and i fully support this!!!!!

I don't get how this helps any of the issues.  Can we not buy our licenses online?  I did last year.  I don't see where they say I can't this year.  I don't understand how this is going to help situations like the one above.  Their computer system should be able to tell the spouse upon purchase that their is an issue and they are unable to buy said license.  I don't understand...

1 hour ago, ozzie said:

I don't get how this helps any of the issues.  Can we not buy our licenses online?  I did last year.  I don't see where they say I can't this year.  I don't understand how this is going to help situations like the one above.  Their computer system should be able to tell the spouse upon purchase that their is an issue and they are unable to buy said license.  I don't understand...

Are you referring to the child support thing??

From what I read you can still get your license online, just need some of your wife's information handy.

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Are you referring to the child support thing??

From what I read you can still get your license online, just need some of your wife's information handy.

You should have that memorized ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

You should have that memorized ?

Nope.? no way I'm answering the weight question.?

• Yayyyy 1

1 minute ago, smurfy said:

Nope.? no way I'm answering the weight question.?

Lie silly. 

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

yes I was referring to the child support thing, if that is a reason they feel they need both spouses at the store to purchase.  If my wife was behind on child support and I went to buy a combo license, and my spouse was not eligible to get a license because of her back child support due, why couldn't they just tell me I could not purchase that license as their is an issue with my wife's eligibility?   Why is her being present going to change this scenario?

As for your wife's information don't screw up eye color either!  And shoot low on the weight and she can't get mad...shoot accurate or high and you most likely will end up in the doghouse! ?  

• Thumbs Up 1

The new rule just keeps beer belly Bob from Brainerd who dont even have a wife. From buying a combo and having two limits. ?

• Yayyyy 1

On 2/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, gimruis said:

This rule sucks.  What it will likely do is eliminate some spouses from participating.  I buy a combo conservation angling license with my wife every year because she goes with about 3 times/year.  But she never goes with when I buy it.  Well now I either have to drag her along or she's gonna have to go get it herself.  What is more likely to occur now is that she simply won't buy one and subsequently won't be fishing anymore.  More hoops to jump through.  The DNR talks about adding new participants all the time with special seasons and youth seasons but they create hurdles like this.  How about trying to use retention of current participants too?

It looks like a spouse could purchase online instead of appearing in person. Just have to be able to provide the needed information.

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The new rule just keeps beer belly Bob from Brainerd who dont even have a wife. From buying a combo and having two limits. ?

That doesn't work if Bob's fishing alone. 

5 hours ago, BobT said:

That doesn't work if Bob's fishing alone. 

Bob, tell Bob from Brainerd!  ?

• Yayyyy 1

14 hours ago, BobT said:

It looks like a spouse could purchase online instead of appearing in person. Just have to be able to provide the needed information.

Ya that's most likely what will happen in my situation and others too.  The side effect will be less people buying them in person.  Which will suck for some businesses because whenever I buy licenses at a retail store I almost always buy other stuff with it like some fishing tackle or a box of ammo.  I'm kinda surprised the retail industry didn't push back on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, ozzie said:

And shoot low on the weight and she can't get mad...shoot accurate or high and you most likely will end up in the doghouse! 

My wife has been at 120lbs for the last 28 years, she smiles when I hand her the license. 

• Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1

There was a ton of crying on Facebook about this. Honestly don't see what the big deal is. Not that hard to have your spouse come with you when you buy a license. I think most people are just preprogrammed to complain about any change - unless it was one they were pushing for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been purchasing an on line combo license for a long time now.  It's way easier anyway.  Even did that for my Canada trip.  Pissed me off that no one else did and we had to wait for 4 hours for the store to open in the city before we could proceed to the lake.

5 hours ago, Getanet said:

Honestly don't see what the big deal is. Not that hard to have your spouse come with you when you buy a license.

Its not a big deal.  Its an inconvenience is what it is.  And if the DNR is trying get more diverse demographics such as women into outdoor activities, creating another hoop to jump through like this is not helping that cause.

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Its not a big deal.  Its an inconvenience is what it is.  And if the DNR is trying get more diverse demographics such as women into outdoor activities, creating another hoop to jump through like this is not helping that cause.

I've been very impressed with how many women and minorities have been posting on ice fishing Facebook groups this year. I don't think a 5-minute pit stop is going to make or break the cause. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, papadarv said:

My solution simple. Wife hasn't fished in 30 years, both my kids 48 & 50. Combo license not required. After a few years of marriage one learns respect and understanding. If she wants fish/seafood its off to red lobster. After last night its off to fishing with my son.

20210223_140312.thumb.jpg.819b730dc33477c61ba003eee8577c3b.jpg

Congrats @papadarv!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Getanet said:

I don't think a 5-minute pit stop is going to make or break the cause. 

Neither do I.  But another obstacle might stop a few.  Plus if some people simply buy them online instead, that's one less trip into a retail store.  I don't know about you, but I buy other stuff when I buy my license too.  In the grand scheme of things at this time with the maximum number of people taking to the outdoors, the difference will likely not even be noticeable or measurable.

This is how I see it playing out in my house.

Me to the wife: "I can't buy your half of the couples license anymore for you.  So you have to either go get it yourself or come with."

Wife to me: "Ok."

A month later: "I'll just not fish this season."

That's one less because of an extra obstacle they've made.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

My wife has been in the boat once in the last 2 years, hasnt been on the ice in 4 years. Still is still not having a problem coming with to get the license. 

My take is if they don't want to make the trip, don't and sucks to be them.

10 minutes ago, smurfy said:

My take is if they don't want to make the trip, don't and sucks to be them.

So you're content having one less person participate then?

Seems to me that the DNR is always trying to include more in the outdoors that normally don't do it.  Whether that be a special youth season, a license-free weekend of fishing, more female participants, etc.  This blatantly goes against that.  Its completely hypocritical.

I'm actually on board with less people participating too.  That includes every demographic out there during every legal hunting and fishing season we have here.

Whether or not whatever the DNR does to try to get more people involved in outdoor activities, if those they target aren't interested, there just not going.  That interest will be instilled in them by there parents and up bringing.

This might come across as kinda harsh, but I could care less if my neighbor or anyone else participated. If someone asked me to take them out that gas never been I'd be all over it 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, smurfy said:

This might come across as kinda harsh, but I could care less if my neighbor or anyone else participated.

It is kinda harsh, but I totally agree with it Smurfy.  Someone has to have the will power to participate.  If they don't have that, its not on me to try and push it.  Even if they are my own wife.

I was simply trying to point out that what the DNR is doing on this particular new rule isn't helping generate more participation.  It may actually reduce it.  Which doesn't make a whole lotta sense considering everything else they are trying to do to get more involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife has fished maybe 2 times in the past 3 years, but each year I buy her a license in the event she says yes to joining me one evening on the lake.  With the extra hoop, many may not buy the extra license, which would mean less revenue for the DNR.  It is small potatoes in the grand scheme of life but it is another obstacle created for reasons that just don't make sense.  Oh well life goes on...

• Thumbs Up 2