• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tipping a jig with a minnow

whateverisbiting

Just wondering when jigging for eyes in the winter, why is the standard to tip a jig with a minnow head and not the whole minnow or the minnow tail?  Would seem like a more natural presentation to tip with the tail and not the head.  Anyone experimented with this?

1Crappieguy

By utilizing just the head it keeps the bait profile smaller but yet it has the scent from the head. Using the whole minnow does work sometimes but most the time in the winter fish want that smaller presentation. Just my thoughts! 

• Thanks 1
anchor man

I've had luck with all methods. I prefer the head because it seems to stay secure on the hook longer while jigging. I've always felt that the flash and action of the jig is the key and any chunk of meat for scent will often seal the deal. I don't think the shape or portion of the minnow really matters. A full minnow doesn't allow the jig to flash and dart around as much...and sometimes the subtle approach is what works best. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Rick G

I too have had luck tipping all different ways. most of the time I use the head though..... But, there are those times when the tail tipped spoon will out-produce the heads, I think it's the more subtle fluttering action the tail makes.

This winter I have been playing around with the Clam pinhead minnow and the flutter spoons without bait.  turns out they work just as well, sometimes better than a baited spoon😉

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1
Wanderer

I’ve used all parts of minnows for tipping and had success but usually the head has outproduced more consistently.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

Agree that the head has been more of a closer. Havnt been after them for a while since on hard water. I keep saying I should go but panfish are so much fun. 

eyeguy 54
On 2/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Rick G said:

I too have had luck tipping all different ways. most of the time I use the head though..... But, there are those times when the tail tipped spoon will out-produce the heads, I think it's the more subtle fluttering action the tail makes.

This winter I have been playing around with the Clam pinhead minnow and the flutter spoons without bait.  turns out they work just as well, sometimes better than a baited spoon😉

Indeed. I saw you work that pinhead on crappies and you put on a clinic! 

leech~~

The head may work better because the eyes are on it. Which some fish take as the front of their prey. Also some of the gut and inners hang and flutter a bit and may give off more sent then the tail half? 

• Thumbs Up 2
eyeguy 54

Makes sense 

slipperybob

Liver and guts...the head section usually also has the liver.  Most nutrition value.

Just the head alone, often does no more than just the tail section alone for me.  Very low percentage.  

Most of all when working a spoon, too much baiting prevents the spoon from doing it's job.  If using the whole minnow, I prefer to use jigs and let the whole minnow do it's job.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
whateverisbiting
3 hours ago, slipperybob said:

Liver and guts...

Thanks for reminding me I actually experienced this once when deep sea fishing with squid.  We were having a "Scientific Advisory Board Meeting" for a company I worked for.  We were cutting squid up and putting the meat on the hook.  My boss was hammering and no one else was really catching.  I looked at his hook and he had the guts with a little meat.  I started doing that and started hammering.  So I guess you could say I applied some observational science that day!  I'll have to pay more attention to see if that makes a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
leech~~
On 2/7/2021 at 7:18 AM, whateverisbiting said:

Thanks for reminding me I actually experienced this once when deep sea fishing with squid.  We were having a "Scientific Advisory Board Meeting" for a company I worked for.  We were cutting squid up and putting the meat on the hook.  My boss was hammering and no one else was really catching.  I looked at his hook and he had the guts with a little meat.  I started doing that and started hammering.  So I guess you could say I applied some observational science that day!  I'll have to pay more attention to see if that makes a difference.

So, you didn't follow everyone else's lead and let the boss win!  Are you still employed there? 😬  😆

• Yayyyy 1
whateverisbiting

I moved on from there a while back.  My boss and I were the only ones who were avid fisherman and caught 90% of the fish.  Still, the CEO and CFO were quite happy fish was on the menu that night!

Squirrelhawke

I always cut my minnow in thirds, the head and the gut pile always get great hits the tails not so much but if i leave a head or a gut pile on the hook for 4 or 5 minutes then my hit percentages are probably equal among the 3

the blood and scent coming from my bait seem to help me bring more feeding fish in

• Thumbs Up 1
whateverisbiting

I fished crappies with a guy some years back that cut up minnows into tiny pieces and dropped them down the hole.  Is that legal?

On 2/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, whateverisbiting said:

I fished crappies with a guy some years back that cut up minnows into tiny pieces and dropped them down the hole.  Is that legal?

Here's what I found on the DNR website. It indicates chumming is not permitted. 

Why BaitCloud is illegal

BaitCloud can't be used in Minnesota

A product called BaitCloud and similar products marketed under different brand names cannot be used in Minnesota waters.

These products use a combination of scent, sound and visual attractants to draw the attention of fish. Methods of taking fish are defined in Minnesota laws governing angling gear and the use of artificial baits.

Using BaitCloud or similar products would result in anglers potentially taking fish using one or more of these illegal methods:

• Throwing chum (fish parts, corn, etc.) and other physical attractants into the water. This is considered littering.
  • Using chemicals, drugs, poisons, medicated bait, fish berries or other similar substances.
  • Using attractants such as artificial light, unless the light is expressly part of a lure.
  • Placing any substance in state waters that may injure, impact reproduction or taint the flesh of wild animals. While products claim to be innocuous to fish and the environment, little is known if concentrated or repeated use of various substances placed in the water could be harmful to fish, wild animals or aquatic plants.

Chemical attractants are not an authorized method of taking fish unless used as part of angling lure, such as spraying scent on a lure or using scented baits. Dropping an attractant ball into the water – even if the materials that comprise it seemingly disintegrate, dissolve and cause no obvious harm – is considered a form of chumming or littering.

It is not illegal for Minnesota retailers to sell BaitCloud or similar products or for Minnesota shoppers to purchase and possess them.

Edited by BobT
  • Thumbs Up 1
Rick G
19 minutes ago, BobT said:

• Using chemicals, drugs, poisons, medicated bait, fish berries or other similar substances

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more😁🤣. And what the hell are fish berries?  @eyeguy 54. Fish berry jelly??? 🤣

• Yayyyy 2
14 minutes ago, Rick G said:

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more😁🤣. And what the hell are fish berries?  @eyeguy 54. Fish berry jelly??? 🤣

I don't know what fish berries are. Will see what I can find out. I had to look up what BaitCloud was because I had never heard of it. 

whateverisbiting

Thanks that's clear!  I am not convinced it actually helped.  I did not do that when I fished by myself in the same spot and did just as well without it.

eyeguy 54

Hmmmm.  Fish berry jelly. Might go great with. The smoked crappies I just chopped in the processor. Or maybe on toast as I enjoy a bow of bass soup. 😁🐟

opsirc

I have found over the years that I get more hits using just the head. 

Rick G
42 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Hmmmm.  Fish berry jelly. Might go great with. The smoked crappies I just chopped in the processor. Or maybe on toast as I enjoy a bow of bass soup. 😁🐟

Why do you keep telling people it's crappies your chopping... Folks, It's the dead sucker minnows, and maybe a few fatheads mixed in... he puts it on crackers with olives and green onions, Calls it spug sauce🤮

• Thumbs Up 1
Wanderer
7 hours ago, Rick G said:

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more😁🤣.

So that’s your secret to slowing down the presentation?

eyeguy 54
1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Why do you keep telling people it's crappies your chopping... Folks, It's the dead sucker minnows, and maybe a few fatheads mixed in... he puts it on crackers with olives and green onions, Calls it spug sauce🤮

No way would I ever kill the taste of my mixes with olives!!!  Yuckimage.png.52d45a612a875c553eb4c7b67271c33e.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      The tournament yesterday looked like the walleyes were tight lipped. Almost half of the 125 boats didn't weigh a fish. Looks like I'm not the only one struggling. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the results. I'll let someone else do it, if it's ok.
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      The Timberjay recently had a typical article about the Hatchery in operation in Pike Bay. It reminded me that they did not strip eggs last year due to Covid, and there was some discussion about how this would affect the lake's walleye population. I did a little digging last night into the annual growth of walleye in Vermilion and found that it takes somewhere in the 3-4 year range to reach eater-size range. That means that the "covid experiment" won't be real noticeable until the end of this season when walleye start reaching double-digits in length but most likely 2022 when those walleye are in the 10-14 inch range.

From the Lake Vermilion Fisheries Management Plan (https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fisheries/special_reports/183.pdf
      Besides abundance, differences between walleye captured in East and West Vermilion are most evident in age and size structure. Overall, walleye in West Vermilion tend to grow faster and live longer than walleye in the east basin. For example, by age-5, walleye captured in East Vermilion average about 16 inches compared to 18 inches in West Vermilion. Walleye on Lake Vermilion can survive to age-8 or older, however older walleye (age-7+) tend to be more abundant in West Vermilion.

I figure that Lake of the Woods is similar in latitude to Vermilion, so probably similar growth rates.

From the Lake Of The Woods section of the DNR website: (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/low_walleye.html#:~:text=Generally%2C walleye in Lake of,male walleye are sexually mature.
      Generally, walleye in Lake of the Woods reach 12 inches long when they are three years old. Male walleye start to mature when they are 12 inches long, 3 years old, but it is not until they are 16 inches long, 5 years old, that all male walleye are sexually mature. Male walleye longer than 24 inches are extremely rare.

Female walleye grow faster than male walleye, after they are three years old. Female walleye start to mature when they are 4 years old, 15 inches long, but all of them are not sexually mature until they are 7 years old, 20 inches long. Generally, female walleye which are 25 inches long are about 10 years old, and 30 inch females are in the range of 20 years old. The oldest Lake of the Woods walleye we have aged was a 23 year old female which was 30.3 inches long.
    • walleye345
      By walleye345
      Hello I am looking for a weight system to help me catch more fish.  I am torn between Snakebite Snaps and Offshore Snap Weights.  They are 2 very different clips. Anyone know anything about either?  Was looking to grab some here soon.  

• tbetts1000
      By tbetts1000
      What is the best chip option for Vermilion. I am getting a new Lowrance HDS and need some guidance.
    • walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Fished Lake of the Woods yesterday during this tropical heat wave.. I'll tell you what, if you're planning on fishing in these temps, bring backup gear for your essentials (Heat, Auger, etc). Doing this was key for us yesterday when the buddy heater hose was acting up due to the cold. We had a fun day! Check out the video below:

• Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Can't seem to ever get a sled ride together anymore on the other side of the wall.
      Any guys with a sled and porty want to get together for a meetup and fish somewhere some weekend for the day or weekend if way up north?
      Crappies-Walleyes both? 
      Mill Lacs, Brainerd area................?   The more the merrier, safety in numbers helps if someone needs a pull or getting out of slush.
      Not a big plan. Meet at a lake. Stare at the lake map, mark a spot or spots on the gps and head out.
      Not really worried about a cookout, but we could just cuts into fishing time.  Bring our own lunch, bait and pop or? 
      Don't want to count out wheelers with portys but hope you can hang if its deep or slushy. 😕

Oh forget the Public service announcement: Portys must be fished at least 6' feet apart or more!. Wearing a mask is a good idea on a cold sled ride. No talking about Trump, Biden or God will also keep us safe from each other! 😆

So again, no big complicated plan. Meet up, check map, go fishing! 👍

• Duckhunt
      By Duckhunt
      House was new in spring 2018. Spray foamed top to bottom. Extremely Light weight, all aluminum construction 1300-1400 pounds. You can easily pull with atv. with little tongue weight. Foldable and removable bunk, we used a cot for 2nd bed.
      -6 catch covers w/ sleeves
      -Nuway furnace, needs no electricity to operate manually, also hooked up to thermostat
      -12V low amp draw circulating fans -30A 115v to 12VDC power converter/battery charger with gen/power hookup
      -battery box with 12VDC-115v inverter, and battery meter (newer 31 battery negotiable)
      - LED hole light and beverage holder above every hole
      -LED interior and porch lights
      -Tv/dvd combo on swing wall mount
      -Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers -Loose spare tire (white steel rim)
      -Window Air Conditioner
      This house can go all weekend on a single battery without a generator. No exterior damage anywhere, tires great. Looking to possibly upgrade. Located 20 miles north of Rapids. Thanks!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Itasca county sunfish for supper.
    • Wanderer
      It’s a pretty good bass. 👍
    • Kettle
      Welcome Neiljack!
    • Neiljack
      I think 3500 lbs is too much.  Trailer your boat and head to a large open parking lot to practice accelerating, coming to a complete stop, making turns, and backing up. So if you are perfect in it then you should trailer it yourself otherwise there are some hauling company for boat. The more you practice handling your vehicle with your boat in tow, the more comfortable you will feel on the open road.
    • Neiljack
      Hello guys, sorry if i place my intro at wrong place because navigation was tough for me.
    • EyeWannabee
      Short arms make em look like 4# instead of 2 and 3# 😂
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.   The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.   Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water.  More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.   On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.   Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.   Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish. Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.   Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing.  Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good. Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs. With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.   1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.      
    • PSU
      Does anyone have someone to recommend for mowing paths/lawn on an island (Frazer\Smarts Bay)?   I only have a DR Brush Mower system I am using right now (been through 2 old hand me down mowers (I'd love to get rid off, one is a John Deere).   Thanks for any insight   Andy 
    • Jaroberts28
      I wonder why the DNR still list Atlantic salmon??
    • SkunkedAgain
      Wow - that bass in the top pick is almost as big as you   😏

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.