• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tipping a jig with a minnow

whateverisbiting

Just wondering when jigging for eyes in the winter, why is the standard to tip a jig with a minnow head and not the whole minnow or the minnow tail?  Would seem like a more natural presentation to tip with the tail and not the head.  Anyone experimented with this?

By utilizing just the head it keeps the bait profile smaller but yet it has the scent from the head. Using the whole minnow does work sometimes but most the time in the winter fish want that smaller presentation. Just my thoughts! 

• Thanks 1

I've had luck with all methods. I prefer the head because it seems to stay secure on the hook longer while jigging. I've always felt that the flash and action of the jig is the key and any chunk of meat for scent will often seal the deal. I don't think the shape or portion of the minnow really matters. A full minnow doesn't allow the jig to flash and dart around as much...and sometimes the subtle approach is what works best. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I too have had luck tipping all different ways. most of the time I use the head though..... But, there are those times when the tail tipped spoon will out-produce the heads, I think it's the more subtle fluttering action the tail makes.

This winter I have been playing around with the Clam pinhead minnow and the flutter spoons without bait.  turns out they work just as well, sometimes better than a baited spoon?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used all parts of minnows for tipping and had success but usually the head has outproduced more consistently.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Agree that the head has been more of a closer. Havnt been after them for a while since on hard water. I keep saying I should go but panfish are so much fun. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Rick G said:

I too have had luck tipping all different ways. most of the time I use the head though..... But, there are those times when the tail tipped spoon will out-produce the heads, I think it's the more subtle fluttering action the tail makes.

This winter I have been playing around with the Clam pinhead minnow and the flutter spoons without bait.  turns out they work just as well, sometimes better than a baited spoon?

Indeed. I saw you work that pinhead on crappies and you put on a clinic! 

The head may work better because the eyes are on it. Which some fish take as the front of their prey. Also some of the gut and inners hang and flutter a bit and may give off more sent then the tail half? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Liver and guts...the head section usually also has the liver.  Most nutrition value.

Just the head alone, often does no more than just the tail section alone for me.  Very low percentage.  

Most of all when working a spoon, too much baiting prevents the spoon from doing it's job.  If using the whole minnow, I prefer to use jigs and let the whole minnow do it's job.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slipperybob said:

Liver and guts...

Thanks for reminding me I actually experienced this once when deep sea fishing with squid.  We were having a "Scientific Advisory Board Meeting" for a company I worked for.  We were cutting squid up and putting the meat on the hook.  My boss was hammering and no one else was really catching.  I looked at his hook and he had the guts with a little meat.  I started doing that and started hammering.  So I guess you could say I applied some observational science that day!  I'll have to pay more attention to see if that makes a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:18 AM, whateverisbiting said:

Thanks for reminding me I actually experienced this once when deep sea fishing with squid.  We were having a "Scientific Advisory Board Meeting" for a company I worked for.  We were cutting squid up and putting the meat on the hook.  My boss was hammering and no one else was really catching.  I looked at his hook and he had the guts with a little meat.  I started doing that and started hammering.  So I guess you could say I applied some observational science that day!  I'll have to pay more attention to see if that makes a difference.

So, you didn't follow everyone else's lead and let the boss win!  Are you still employed there? ?  ?

• Yayyyy 1

I moved on from there a while back.  My boss and I were the only ones who were avid fisherman and caught 90% of the fish.  Still, the CEO and CFO were quite happy fish was on the menu that night!

I always cut my minnow in thirds, the head and the gut pile always get great hits the tails not so much but if i leave a head or a gut pile on the hook for 4 or 5 minutes then my hit percentages are probably equal among the 3

the blood and scent coming from my bait seem to help me bring more feeding fish in

• Thumbs Up 1

I fished crappies with a guy some years back that cut up minnows into tiny pieces and dropped them down the hole.  Is that legal?

On 2/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, whateverisbiting said:

I fished crappies with a guy some years back that cut up minnows into tiny pieces and dropped them down the hole.  Is that legal?

Here's what I found on the DNR website. It indicates chumming is not permitted. 

Why BaitCloud is illegal

BaitCloud can't be used in Minnesota

A product called BaitCloud and similar products marketed under different brand names cannot be used in Minnesota waters.

These products use a combination of scent, sound and visual attractants to draw the attention of fish. Methods of taking fish are defined in Minnesota laws governing angling gear and the use of artificial baits.

Using BaitCloud or similar products would result in anglers potentially taking fish using one or more of these illegal methods:

• Throwing chum (fish parts, corn, etc.) and other physical attractants into the water. This is considered littering.
  • Using chemicals, drugs, poisons, medicated bait, fish berries or other similar substances.
  • Using attractants such as artificial light, unless the light is expressly part of a lure.
  • Placing any substance in state waters that may injure, impact reproduction or taint the flesh of wild animals. While products claim to be innocuous to fish and the environment, little is known if concentrated or repeated use of various substances placed in the water could be harmful to fish, wild animals or aquatic plants.

Chemical attractants are not an authorized method of taking fish unless used as part of angling lure, such as spraying scent on a lure or using scented baits. Dropping an attractant ball into the water – even if the materials that comprise it seemingly disintegrate, dissolve and cause no obvious harm – is considered a form of chumming or littering.

It is not illegal for Minnesota retailers to sell BaitCloud or similar products or for Minnesota shoppers to purchase and possess them.

Edited by BobT
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, BobT said:

• Using chemicals, drugs, poisons, medicated bait, fish berries or other similar substances

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more??. And what the hell are fish berries?  @eyeguy 54. Fish berry jelly??? ?

• Yayyyy 2

14 minutes ago, Rick G said:

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more??. And what the hell are fish berries?  @eyeguy 54. Fish berry jelly??? ?

I don't know what fish berries are. Will see what I can find out. I had to look up what BaitCloud was because I had never heard of it. 

Thanks that's clear!  I am not convinced it actually helped.  I did not do that when I fished by myself in the same spot and did just as well without it.

Hmmmm.  Fish berry jelly. Might go great with. The smoked crappies I just chopped in the processor. Or maybe on toast as I enjoy a bow of bass soup. ??

42 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Hmmmm.  Fish berry jelly. Might go great with. The smoked crappies I just chopped in the processor. Or maybe on toast as I enjoy a bow of bass soup. ??

Why do you keep telling people it's crappies your chopping... Folks, It's the dead sucker minnows, and maybe a few fatheads mixed in... he puts it on crackers with olives and green onions, Calls it spug sauce?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Rick G said:

You mean I can't give my minnows medical marijuana any more??.

So that’s your secret to slowing down the presentation?

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Why do you keep telling people it's crappies your chopping... Folks, It's the dead sucker minnows, and maybe a few fatheads mixed in... he puts it on crackers with olives and green onions, Calls it spug sauce?

No way would I ever kill the taste of my mixes with olives!!!  Yuckimage.png.52d45a612a875c553eb4c7b67271c33e.png