• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Year round bass season

gimruis

There is a proposal to angling in the form of catch and release for bass year round in the works.  This would be in addition to the current regulations that allow the limited harvest of both smb and lmb from late May until the season closes.  I know that Michigan and Wisconsin both allow the specific targeting of bass for catch and release purposes before their traditional opening date.  Michigan has done it for years, and Wisconsin just started it last year.

I'm not real positive that this will pass, as I think MN is about a decade behind Wisconsin when it comes to these kinds of changes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Was looking at doing some bass fishing on big marine. I saw on the map that little inlet on the far south side that goes into some super shallow water. I’m guessing it’s full of weeds or pads of some sort. Anyone bass fished tgat in the summer before. I would be doing it by canoe. Just seeing if it’s worth a shot.. Thanks 
    • AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
    • SergeantJas
      By SergeantJas
      I am new to ice fishing and the aitkin area.  I am wondering what is the best colors and even jigs for walleye and crappies in the aitkin area.   Its my 1st year of icexfishing.  I've always been into open water before.
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      The bass are starting to put their feed bag on! Check out this video below. We were near Park Rapids.

• simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Walleye fishing really picked up this weekend.  Had to move around to find the fish but when I did locate them, they were schooled up in a tight cluster.  If I drifted more than 30 feet from the cluster the bite would stop.  Don't know if this is typical of fall fishing but it was sure fun.   Biggest eye I caught was the pictured 23", then the next biggest was only 17" (I think others are really targeting the 18-20" fish).  Pike suckers on a plain red hook were the best, but when I ran out of them, they still bit on chubs (although the fish were smaller).  Stopped at Fuel & Food Saturday afternoon and they were out of pike suckers and chubs, so I just used the last of my small chubs the last day.  Never did try the crawlers that I bought because the bite was good enough on minnows.   Enjoy the fall fishing and the beauty of the lake, and be courteous to other anglers.
    • Dash 1
      Made it to the brothers cabin this past weekend. We hit  4 lakes. Crappie fishing was great. Lots of 10-12 inch fish. Walleye on Big wolf and Andrusia was fair. Nothing over 16 inches though. Small pike were very active as well. The river was 2-3 feet deep and manageable. Found walleye in depths from 12-20 ft and crappies were 6-14 ft near pencil reeds. Crappies bit on crawlers, minnows and gulp. Got walleyes on fat heads as no one in area had anything other than pike chubs and we only got northerns on them. Wind was bad on Friday and terrible on Saturday. Definitely need to update electronics and trolling motor to get spot lock. My brother has it on his and had 0 problems holding in the wind. Overall fun weekend with 2 meals fish and a burger night at Becida bar.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.   Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.   Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now. Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.   Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day. Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.   On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine. Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.   Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports. Up at the NW Angle...   Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.   Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas. Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight. Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details. Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.    
    • smurfy
      There working on getting a high draft choice for the top of the line college QB, new head coach and GM 🤭🤪🤫
    • leech~~
      After the first game I thought, may be we have a kicker at least? 🙄
    • mtheis
      The wind was crazy when I was up for the week.  And talking about lake levels, I had to adjust my Humminbird down 1 foot to make the water level the same as the lake map depth.  Just an FYI.
    • JN13
      Model 93R17, Great shape and super accurate rifle, target barrel and accutrigger model, BSA Sweet 17 scope 2-7 × 32, adjustable bipod, stock and barrel in excellent shape, comes with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), asking $400
    • gimruis
      You can't make this up anymore.  37 yard kick for the win and he pushes it right?  Somewhere Blair Walsh is laughing at us about this.
    • JN13
      Excellent shape and it's a Henry-smooth action, 25 rounds through it, 2 boxes of ammo included, hard to find model, asking $350.
    • JN13
      Hard to find model, 5" barrel and two tone, really nice shape, one box of ammo through it, need to have ptp, asking $1200.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.