• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice House Rental

NDAngler

Hi folks,

I'm looking to rent an ice house for a day this coming weekend. I want to take my 6 year old son out on his first ice fishing trip. We'd like to be around the battle lake/ottertail lakes area. Can any of you folks recommend a rental business? I want to be on some sunfish/panfish so my little man gets the itch to ice fish again. Any suggestions on where to go are also welcome. I do have a house I can bring with, but with ice conditions not ideal, I'd also have to bring our ranger and sometimes 6 year olds get impatient. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      😁

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I went out to Medicine lake yesterday and there were dead panfish discarded all over the place. I don't know who or why but it was such a waste, plus one little sunny was obviously cut up as bait... And then I found a huge PILE of about 20 fish behind a building. There are signs posted and reminders everywhere, only 5 panfish/crappies per person. This looked deliberate, like a middle finger to authority.
      I was furious and now I'm just sad. I took pictures and I want to do something about it but I have no idea what. 😩
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • BobT
      By BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      What’s your rod box. I grabbed a Flambeau today to upgrade since a good buddy made me a 36 inch ice rod. I added foam to the bottom and took out the dividers and it looks like it will work dandy. Got them all in and some boxes for different plastics.  Won’t know till it warms up!  All snug when I close it up. 

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      Here are a few pics of some of what I have been using this winter.  Everyone is well aware of how effective plastics can be for panfish... But have you tried the new hard baits? Most of the time, they don't need added bait, you can fish them plain.  I have found great success this winter with the Clam pinhead minnow, both the jointed and non jointed version. For some reason , the crappies and big bluegills love this bait..often preferring it unbaited, this is especially true for the jointed version.. I have been using small spoons with great success for years on panfish... just never found one that needed no bait.
      The Kenders K-rip and T-rip are some of the new style of minnow baits, they also fish better unbaited. The T-rip is so tiny, even smaller bluegills can take it, so the big ones definitely have no problem inhaling this bait.. The wonderbread and natural perch have been my go-to colors this winter.  
      Next time on the water, give either the T-rip of pinhead a try, you might be surprised how well you do😉 I sure was!

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Been using the micro ice flo green 3lb about 4 years now. Really like it. With the addition of the orange highlight rod from my favorite rod builder I thought  I would try the suffix ice magic. Seamed to work just as well and these eyes could see it nice when tying up a jig. What’s your go to line?

• Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
    • Duckhunt
      By Duckhunt
      House was new in spring 2018. Spray foamed top to bottom. Extremely Light weight, all aluminum construction 1300-1400 pounds. You can easily pull with atv. with little tongue weight. Foldable and removable bunk, we used a cot for 2nd bed.
      -6 catch covers w/ sleeves
      -Nuway furnace, needs no electricity to operate manually, also hooked up to thermostat
      -12V low amp draw circulating fans -30A 115v to 12VDC power converter/battery charger with gen/power hookup
      -battery box with 12VDC-115v inverter, and battery meter (newer 31 battery negotiable)
      - LED hole light and beverage holder above every hole
      -LED interior and porch lights
      -Tv/dvd combo on swing wall mount
      -Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers -Loose spare tire (white steel rim)
      -Window Air Conditioner
      This house can go all weekend on a single battery without a generator. No exterior damage anywhere, tires great. Looking to possibly upgrade. Located 20 miles north of Rapids. Thanks!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      There are guys on Facebook Market place selling buckets of Smelt right now.  One said "Fresh from Duluth"  
    • Coleman
      I was able to hit the chain on Saturday and cruised around a bit to see if I could find what the walleye were doing. Appears they should be spawning and did find what I think were a couple females just based on the location I found them.    50° on the river and saw as low as 47° on the main lake. 
    • CLPDB
      I was out 4 different mornings.  Very difficult hunt.  I never saw a Tom.  Usually when we go out we can get the Toms to gobble to at least let us know where they are roosting but this year they wouldn't gobble to a call at all.  Most wouldn't gobble until almost shooting hour and if they did gobble it was on there own.  I didn't really want to hunt season A but I had to because of work.  I think the cold weather must of had something to do with it.  
    • Rick G
      And just a few days later, I got my first 10inch bluegill of the season.  Same body of water Royce got his from, but clearly a different shaped hen bluegill. As always, trophy size fish get released😁   VID_20210418_110303001~2.mp4
    • gimruis
      First outing this spring turned out fairly successful.  Not consistent action yet but enough to stay interested.  Nothing bigger than 12 inches though.  All were released fully alive to complete the reproductive process.
    • Rick
      DNR volunteers share a special commitment to making sure our natural resources are available for current and future generations to enjoy. More than 14,000 volunteers helped the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources last year do everything from monitoring rainfall levels to clearing trails. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources would like the public’s help in reporting fish die-offs in lakes and streams, which happen occasionally and usually result from natural causes. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • jigginjim
      Last summer while doing a surgery recovery, i got into watch the canal harbor cams of Duluth. Not sure what is going on but at night there has been several people dropping what could be nets or a trap over the side of the wall.  Would like to know if these guys are catching smelt or bait?
    • Wanderer
      I probably won’t turkey hunt this spring - working way too much!  This morning before heading out I had multiple birds gobbling from the area I got mine last year. Probably would’ve been an easy score.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.