• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sled and porty GTG outing

leech~~

14 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Probably the first weekend the lakes won’t be packed this winter!!!

After this cold snap shouldn't have to worry about ice is most areas. I cringe for the amount of traffic we are going to see on the lakes after this cold snap. I selfishly hope we get some snow to restrict travel. The thundering herds are going to be bonkers.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

By the way that pic was taken in 2012. I am a lot better looking now! ?

Goes without saying doesn’t it? ?

• Yayyyy 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 hours ago, chaffmj said:

By the way that pic was taken in 2012. I am a lot better looking now! ?

It was just nice of Foss to let you hold up two of his fish! ?

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

10 hours ago, leech~~ said:

It was just nice of Foss to let you hold up two of his fish! ?

Ouch, that really hurt. I was with Jim Almquist from Duluth that day. Ah the good old days on Burntside!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard shagwa has been giving 14-16 inch crappies by the limits out off Sandy point!! ?

• Yayyyy 2

9 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Ouch, that really hurt. I was with Jim Almquist from Duluth that day. Ah the good old days on Burntside!

I was going to say ouch for ya when I read that but thought I better let you handle it!

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I heard shagwa has been giving 14-16 inch crappies by the limits out off Sandy point!! ?

Lunker Plunkers are working the best but don’t tell anyone!

• Yayyyy 2

1.6K reads and no takers. What a bunch of wussy! 

It's only been -20 below on the weekends. ?

• Yayyyy 1

just need to set a date and location and see who shows. Should have plenty of ice for a while now. Maybe remove the sled requirement and see what happens lol

I would consider meeting up on a border water like Big Stone, Traverse etc. 

But I would also be intrigued to see a big group of some of you die hards party fish some big pressured MN lake and see what results some of you guys produce.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I was kind of thinking a bunch of guys on sleds terrorizing a lake for this GTG. ?

Not...............................a brunch GTG!  ?

outlaw-bikers-stick-with-harley-despite-foreign-production.jpg

group-beautiful-young-people-enjoying-conversation-drinking-coffee-best-friends-girls-together-having-fun-posing-emotional-lifestyle_146671-837.jpg

• Yayyyy 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, leech~~ said:

So out of 567 reads. No ones got a sled and porty but 2 guys and 1 with a broken down one? ?

I know this is a old post, but I just picked up a sled to ice fish with and would love to travel a lake with some others. Especially as this will be my first time trying it. Maybe if and when we get some hardwater that works,  we try this call out again? Thanks

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, TheClassicyIndy said:

I know this is a old post, but I just picked up a sled to ice fish with and would love to travel a lake with some others. Especially as this will be my first time trying it. Maybe if and when we get some hardwater that works,  we try this call out again? Thanks

Cool, what kind of sled did you get?  Post some pictures if your setting it up for Ice fishing! 👍

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Cool, what kind of sled did you get?  Post some pictures if your setting it up for Ice fishing! 👍

Thanks. It's nothing fancy. 97 Polaris Indy Classic touring. Been working on it for a few months. Was kind of a mess when I got it. Seems to be working pretty well now. I'm trying to get a back rack I got for it. But its proving difficult due to some creative welding from previous owner. I want to hang a 35gal tote on the back for gear. I also want to try to mount some brackets I have on the front for auger. It's all still a work in progress. My primary concern was to get it mechanically sound before I started getting it hardwater fishing ready.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Cool, what kind of sled did you get?  

The handle didn’t give it away? 😅

Welcome @TheClassicyIndy!  

This leech guy does know a few things about sleds though and can help you out.  I may actually have a lot of time this winter to play.  We’ll see how things shake out.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, TheClassicyIndy said:

Thanks. It's nothing fancy. 97 Polaris Indy Classic touring. Been working on it for a few months. Was kind of a mess when I got it. Seems to be working pretty well now. I'm trying to get a back rack I got for it. But its proving difficult due to some creative welding from previous owner. I want to hang a 35gal tote on the back for gear. I also want to try to mount some brackets I have on the front for auger. It's all still a work in progress. My primary concern was to get it mechanically sound before I started getting it hardwater fishing ready.

Something like this? 

Mechanical dependability is key to me. I don't care If my sled looks like a Rat ride as long as it gets my butt back off the lake!  😁  

image.png.94e036fc8654ef6c03110426b6326884.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably looks a lot like the 1995 Indi 500 Classic I got this past June. 2 cylinder + reverse. Ran good but modified the track/suspension a bit than sold excess parts.

20210529_140712.thumb.jpg.c6e348a1c6e654e1cf91af94d1185e30.jpg

20210529_140325.thumb.jpg.327320b3dd6179ebc398141a0ea1f1cc.jpg

20210529_140701.thumb.jpg.ea617d9e6988656cfd1b47f0b065f207.jpg

20210828_161031.thumb.jpg.cdeb5973aa2baa1c4411ae0168eb5238.jpg20211002_155110.thumb.jpg.ec026ca373cde1ef09f1cd4d22c93336.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:35 PM, leech~~ said:

Something like this? 

Mechanical dependability is key to me. I don't care If my sled looks like a Rat ride as long as it gets my butt back off the lake!  😁  

image.png.94e036fc8654ef6c03110426b6326884.png

You got it. This is what it looked like when I got it in early August. I have since sourced a decent seat, replaced the reverse gears, chain, fluids, cleaned the carbs, new fuel lines and lots of other little things. It might need more motor work. It doesn't have a sway bar (it was removed by previous owns. 

20210815_115419.jpg

3 hours ago, TheClassicyIndy said:

You got it. This is what it looked like when I got it in early August. I have since sourced a decent seat, replaced the reverse gears, chain, fluids, cleaned the carbs, new fuel lines and lots of other little things. It might need more motor work. It doesn't have a sway bar (it was removed by previous owns. 

20210815_115419.jpg

How many miles are on it?  You may want to do a compression check before you throw more money at it. 

Most of them are over for the year but there are still some.  Keep an eye out for Snowmobile swap meets.  You might be able to find a seat and other parts!  👍

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

How many miles are on it?  You may want to do a compression check before you throw more money at it. 

Most of them are over for the year but there are still some.  Keep an eye out for Snowmobile swap meets.  You might be able to find a seat and other parts!  👍

It has 38xx miles. I picked it up for $400. I did find a nice seat for it for $65. Compression was about 100psi for both cylinders. I have been told that can work, but might be harder to start. Maybe next summer I can work on the top end. The one thing it does do is I have a fair amount of dark colored fluid coming out of the exhaust and laying down below the Y pipe off the manifold. Not sure what that is. I had tried to make sure it wasn't running too rich. It can start right up most of the time. We shall see how it does when cold.

The only thing that I can think would be leaking out of the exhaust would be unburnt 2-stroke oil, maybe leftover from someone oiling the cylinders for the offseason?

image.thumb.png.c4e7616cb20daae744eeeecba8f241e2.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed Skunkedagain.

I never count how my sled is running after sitting all summer until a good lake run to burn out all that stable craap! 😉

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, TheClassicyIndy said:

20210815_115419.jpg

I wonder if some of that car headlight polish would clean up that windshield a bit?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I hope this holds up ok. I might throw a couple of bolts through the bar and snowmobile hand grip as a precaution. But honestly I am more worried about the plastic breaking on the Kolpin mounts. Hardwater will be here soon. Getting ready.

20211121_002353.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

🤔 i'm far from a mechanical engineer, but i dont see that working out all that well???? maybe i'm way off base, but i see snow and slush all over it. turning/steering issues???????? alot of bouncing???????

i do however hope it works for you!!!!!!👌

9 hours ago, TheClassicyIndy said:

I hope this holds up ok. I might throw a couple of bolts through the bar and snowmobile hand grip as a precaution. But honestly I am more worried about the plastic breaking on the Kolpin mounts. Hardwater will be here soon. Getting ready.

20211121_002353.jpg

One concern I would have but I can't see the angle. Is if the ski tips will come up and hit the auger if your going over some big bumps or snow banks on and off the lake or at ice road crossings?  Other then that the bit is pretty light and may hang in there?

Edited by leech~~

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

One concern I would have but I can't see the angle. Is if the ski tips will come up and hit the auger if your going over some big bumps or snow banks on and off the lake or at ice road crossings?  Other then that the bit is pretty light and may hang in there?

I am reconsider this setup. Might move it to the back rack. I wish I could weld, I bet this could have worked if I could get it up a few feet. Thanks for the feedback.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, TheClassicyIndy said:

I am reconsider this setup. Might move it to the back rack. I wish I could weld, I bet this could have worked if I could get it up a few feet. Thanks for the feedback.

Welding is easy. A bit of a steady hand is all it takes. 115v (standard house 20 amp outlet) is all you need for electricity. The Flux Core wire feed welders sell for around $125. Flux core 1 pound wire cost about $15. Mine is about 12 years old still going strong welding 10 to 15 lbs. of wire. If you want to weld aluminum you need a welder with a argon gas set-up add another $100 for welder and $175 for a small 20 cu/ft tank. Argon gas fill another $15. I practice for about an hour on scrap steel for about an hour to get the hang of it. The more you weld the better you get.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, TheClassicyIndy said:

20210815_115419.jpg

So how is the whole project going. Have you changed the seat out yet? Changed the chain oil and retenitiond the chain? You dont have to crack the chain case. Just suck out what you can with a big syringe and a tube on the end and refill. Put in a new set of plugs. Greased all the track suspension and steering fittings? Looked at the track wear bars and replaced them if needed? Also, you may want to round up another sway bar if that is missing. They help a lot for steering and ride stability. Another thing is put the back of the sled on a jack so theres no intention on the track and check each idle wheel for bearing wear. Make sure each one rotates freely  and has no slop when pulled side to side. Let's see some pictures of that seat and the windshield and hood all shined up!  It would be nice to see some before and after's! 👍

Oop, rereading your post above it looks like you handled a few of these suggestions like the chain, already. 👍

Edited by leech~~