• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sled and porty GTG outing

leech~~

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Can't seem to ever get a sled ride together anymore on the other side of the wall.

Any guys with a sled and porty want to get together for a meetup and fish somewhere some weekend for the day or weekend if way up north?

Crappies-Walleyes both? 

Mill Lacs, Brainerd area................?   The more the merrier, safety in numbers helps if someone needs a pull or getting out of slush.

Not a big plan. Meet at a lake. Stare at the lake map, mark a spot or spots on the gps and head out.

Not really worried about a cookout, but we could just cuts into fishing time.  Bring our own lunch, bait and pop or? 

Don't want to count out wheelers with portys but hope you can hang if its deep or slushy. ?

Oh forget the Public service announcement: Portys must be fished at least 6' feet apart or more!. Wearing a mask is a good idea on a cold sled ride. No talking about Trump, Biden or God will also keep us safe from each other! ?

So again, no big complicated plan. Meet up, check map, go fishing! ?

IMG_1661.JPG

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Possibly... ?

My sled needs some work but I might take a run at that this weekend if I’m not fishing. Brainerd would be an easy one for me but I wouldn’t mind getting a group together to fan out on Leech or Winnie to dial a pattern in.  An honest seek and destroy mission to cover water and share info, not compete for best catch.  Even a group of 4 can increase efforts ten fold.

My issue is usually timing but I think I have a chance over the next few weekends.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stinks when fishing gets in the way of fishing! ?

I'm game for any lake to try. Hope we can find some place with enough parking for a few vehicles and trailers to unload. 

Agree no competition, finding new spots is always fun and your not giving up spots of your own.  

Brainerd area is a good central spot with some nice size lakes. I seem to always pull something out of Pelican.  But open to any lake.   

Edited by leech~~

51 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I'm game for any lake to try.

How about a Lake Bigstone get together take 2, 2021 Covid edition?

I need to see first hand if @Wanderer can still hole hop like a madman. And hopefully the fish would cooperate better this year lol

• Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, rundrave said:

I need to see first hand if @Wanderer can still hole hop like a madman. And hopefully the fish would cooperate better this year lol

Put it on the lake list see how many folks we get that want to go and where? ?

Mill Lacs

Leech

Winnie

Pelican-brainerd

Big Stone

Tonka

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think no talking about Trump or Biden may be holding some people back? ?

I’ll just toss this one out there too in case metro guys don’t want to travel, and in honor of the most responses in a thread that isn’t Vermilion: Minnetonka.

2 hours ago, rundrave said:

I still didn’t drill as much as I wanted to. ?

By the way, I’m not opposed to buying a non-res license either. ?

Just now, leech~~ said:

I think no talking about Trump or Biden may be holding some people back? ?

Not on this side of the wall!  Let it marinade a bit.

• Yayyyy 1

Just now, Wanderer said:

I’ll just toss this one out there too in case metro guys don’t want to travel, and in honor of the most responses in a thread that isn’t Vermilion: Minnetonka.

I still didn’t drill as much as I wanted to. ?

By the way, I’m not opposed to buying a non-res license either. ?

Never ice fished Tonka. Someone that has will have to keep us from running in the wrong places. Heard some stories of bad spots out there? ?

Leech I will help you out!! Hey see that open water over there it’s been a hot spot all winter! Ok ?

Edited by monstermoose78

1 minute ago, monstermoose78 said:

Leech I will help you out!! Hey see that open water over there it’s been a hot spot all winter! Ok ?

Thanks buddy! ?

21 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Thanks buddy! ?

Anytime 

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Never ice fished Tonka. Someone that has will have to keep us from running in the wrong places. Heard some stories of bad spots out there? ?

Respect it like you would Burntside.  It’s really a metro lake made for snowmobile ice fishing.  Shorter runs for sure but really the same type of deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Yeah with a ton of bays with channels that don't always freeze over.  Never said I haven't sledded on lakes like the Gull chain or Whitefish chain with a lot of channels. ?  Just said, I never ice fished Minnetonka before. 

DNR: at least 5 dead after falling through ice this season

BMTN Staff

Updated: Mar 8, 2018

On Lake Minnetonka, there have been more than a dozen incidents where either a vehicle or snowmobile have broken through the ice this winter.

5939bb4bdc5d7.image.jpg

Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for fishing Minnetonka, but I have been fishing it since the late 60s. Even in normal winter's (whatever that is) there can be bad spots away from shore due to springs or schooling fish and the channels can be sketchy too. Many times there are pressure ridges at the mouths of the channel than one can break through. Just ask my dad, and he was walking. If you're set on Tonka I'd suggest picking an area of the lake with large bays so you wouldn't have to go through a channel or it would minimize the number of channels you went through. Now if someone has been out this winter and knows it's safe that's a different story or if you check the channels before you go through them. It's a fun lake to fish year 'round but especially in the winter. There are a lot of fish in it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

So out of 567 reads. No ones got a sled and porty but 2 guys and 1 with a broken down one? ?

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

So out of 567 reads. No ones got a sled and porty but 2 guys and 1 with a broken down one? ?

I got both but not driving 200 miles north to get it then drive to the cities to fish. ?

Edited by smurfy

53 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

67 we’re probably you, ? but yeah 500 is a lot without a few more replies. 

If folks want to bring more activity to the site, this one of the ways to do it. If anyone has any other ideas to put out there it’s wide open.  Except the date should be while game fish is open.

Or, are people wanting to have a spot all set up to fish rather than going through the process of dialing a couple in?  I always find it interesting to see how others approach a spot and what’s on their mind when setting up.  I’m confident in how I go about a lot of things but amazingly enough tend to learn something significant from most people I fish with.  Depends on what you’re looking for though I suppose.

8 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I got both but not driving 200 miles north to get it then drive to the cities to fish. ?

We could just party at your place. ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 2

16 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Yeah the last time I fish in the cities was when I was 5 and my dad was showing me how to cast! ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Yayyyy 1

11 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

67 we’re probably you, ? but yeah 500 is a lot without a few more replies. 

If folks want to bring more activity to the site, this one of the ways to do it. If anyone has any other ideas to put out there it’s wide open.  Except the date should be while game fish is open.

Or, are people wanting to have a spot all set up to fish rather than going through the process of dialing a couple in?  I always find it interesting to see how others approach a spot and what’s on their mind when setting up.  I’m confident in how I go about a lot of things but amazingly enough tend to learn something significant from most people I fish with.  Depends on what you’re looking for though I suppose.

We could just party at your place. ?

I'm game leaving Saturday morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

I brought my two sleds home but just discovered that my truck needs a new cam & lifters. My portable is up north still. Good luck unless I can snowmobile all the way to the spot!

• Yayyyy 1

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

I'm game leaving Saturday morning.

Lil too short notice for me - I think... 

You going back next weekend?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Lil too short notice for me - I think... 

You going back next weekend?

nope. i will be coming home that thurs...fri sat......not sure yet. my brother and his kid will be there that weekend!!!! we will overlap a day or so but kinda have an agreement to not go up the same time.

• Thumbs Up 1

About -20 below in Nisswa, MN this Saturday night.  Anyone want to go? ? ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

?  my place will be nice and warm!!   LOL!!!  

Mine will to.  Wife just got back from a grocery run. All kinds of healthy stuff. Chips, dips, alochol.?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 2

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

About -20 below in Nisswa, MN this Saturday night.  Anyone want to go? ? ?

Probably the first weekend the lakes won’t be packed this winter!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't have a trailer for my sled so if you come up to the Ely area I'll go. Just not this weekend I am busy.

Edited by chaffmj
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chaffmj said:

I don't have a trailer for my sled so if you come up to the Ely area I'll go. Just not this weekend I am busy.

Yeah at -26 Sat and -28 Sunday nights I maybe also.  Your right on Burntside right? ?