• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes Sliding to Deeper Water

LakeofthewoodsMN

On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay.

On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open.

Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.

Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

Dad and two kids with big walleye_Sportsman's Lodge_011521.jpg

Jason_011621_Bugsy's on Bostic_Nice walleye.jpg

• I Like it 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A warm up triggered some nice walleyes and saugers up on Lake of the Woods this week.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with some pike, perch, eelpout and tullibees being caught in 29-33 feet.  Using a bait with rattles or vibration to attract fish is helpful.  On the deadstick, try a glow hook with a live minnow or even a glow bead above the hook.  Set bait 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Try gold, glow colors, chartreuse and pink good color choices this week.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite producing some walleyes on the river.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  Use caution and work through a resort, outfitter or gain info from a bait shop as there is current and areas not fit for travel on the river.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A lot of nice walleyes caught up at the Angle this week with a mix of other species.  Walleyes in 24 - 30' of water.  Some resorts are fishing on or adjacent to structure, others fishing deep mud.  Some resorts are fishing the deep mud.  Some anglers catching walleyes with small jigs tipped with a plastic that mimics bugs and worms in mud.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  

• imhatz
      By imhatz
      Hey guys we are all set for our trip to Sand Point May 21, 2021. Plan to fish pike and crappies. I have been going to this lake since 1982 and now have a new generation crew. They have been going 12 years with me. We normally stay in Browns and fish that area and Grassy. We are in King Pin site this year and plan to fish towards Swanson Bay and up and around Wolf Island. Any pointers. Thanks
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      New rules for purchasing a combination license in MN. 
      DNR adjusts how married anglers and hunters buy combination licenses
      Both members of married couples who want to purchase a combination angling or hunting license in person will need to be present at the sales location starting Feb. 18, when the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will begin requiring both spouses to provide and verify their own complete customer records on file to purchase a combination license.
      “These changes will bring the DNR into compliance with state and federal laws that require collecting this information for angling or hunting license sales,” said Steve Michaels, licensing program director. “The information helps prevent licenses being sold to people with violations or unpaid fines.”
      Customers will continue to pay the same price for combination licenses, which are discounted compared with purchasing two individual licenses.
      When purchasing a combination license in person, both spouses must be present, and, if age 21 or older, also must provide their current Minnesota driver’s licenses or identification cards. If both spouses are not present, the person present may purchase their part of the license and their spouse may obtain their license at a later date at no additional charge.
      If a spouse does not have a record on file with the DNR, that spouse can create one with their full name, birth date, social security number. If they are a Minnesota resident age 21 or older, they also will need a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification card. They can create their record anywhere DNR licenses are sold, or call the DNR license center at 877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. New resident customer records for people age 21 and over cannot be created online.
      “Thank you to all our license purchasers for patience adjusting to these changes and for buying a license,” Michaels said. “Your license dollars pay for a great deal of DNR conservation work and leverage more federal funding that supports hunting and fishing opportunities and habitat work.”
      The DNR offers the following married combination licenses:
      Angling, valid for fishing.
      Conservation angling, valid for half the possession limit, per spouse.
      Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses and small game hunting for one spouse.
      Super Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses, small game for one spouse, includes two state trout stamps, and waterfowl and pheasant stamps for one spouse. It also offers the choice of a firearm, archery or muzzleloader deer license for one spouse.
      Family nonresident angling, valid for one or both parents and dependent children under age 16.
      Also check out the DNR website - https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/combo.html
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Despite te cold weather, some good fishing reports up on Lake of the Woods this week.  A nice mix of walleyes and saugers being caught in 29-33 feet.  The cold weather made some of the fish less active, so coaxing them was key.  Using a jigging line in one hole with lures that put out vibration or noise was helpful.  That combined with a deadstick in your second hole with either a glow jig or plan hook and a minnow.  Keep the jigging line moving to attract fish.  Try gold, glow white, glow red, wonderbread and pink.  Lures that glow, have a glow stick or make noise are effective in the stained water.  
      Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  Some bait shops and resorts will rent units for the day. 
      On the Rainy River...   Morning and evening bite producing some walleyes on the river.  A variety of areas being fished with low flow and cold temps.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  Use caution and work through a resort, outfitter or gain info from a bait shop as there is current and areas not fit for travel on the river.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A lot of nice walleyes caught up at the Angle this week with a mix of other species.  Walleyes in 24 - 30' of water.  Some resorts are fishing structure, others fishing deep mud.  Jigging with noisy lures 3-4' off of the bottom is a good way to pull in fish.    Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Some days, the jigging line is hot, others the bobbers are going down.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.