• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

opsirc

I have been making trips for the past 16 years, but this last one was our worst ever.  Friend and I were up Thursday to Saturday. We started about 6 miles out on Thursday in 30fow. graphed very few fish, and the ones we did would not bite, we did manage to get one eye 26 1/2 inches and one keeper. So Friday we moved out past 7 miles on the outskirts of most others.  Luck did not change, stay pretty much the same as Thursday, did get one 20 inch eye. There were alot of houses but could not tell if anyone was catching anything. watch a couple of trucks try to cross over a pressure ridge. first one got hung up. the second one took a running start, look like both the truck and house caught air. turned out to be the funniest part of trip. anyone fair any better this past few days?

• Wow, ❤ 1
PRO-V

My son was up there in a Morris Point rental Sunday with a group. 1 walleye was caught, nothing else.

gimruis
On 1/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, opsirc said:

look like both the truck and house caught air

Lol now that is desperate

Better Than Working!

Desperate is one word you can use! I can think  of several more that are probably more accurate!

• Thumbs Up 3

I was up last weekend, fished Fri + Sat and we did alright.  I think we were in 28ft of water.  First day it was all jigging, second day 50/50 jig to deadstick.  Average size, etc..... really had to work at it though, no real pattern we could figure out.

With all the pressure last year, I expected the fishing to be impacted moving forward.  I wouldn't mind if they lowered limits moving forward to be honest.

leech~~

My son-in-law was in a Sportsman Lodge sleeper with 3 other guys this past weekend. They said fishing was slow but they made up for it in size with a 25" 26" 28" and his PB 29.5" Walleye. They did bring 20 eaters home after 3 days.

PRO-V

My brother in law and his wife fished all day Monday and a half day Tuesday in a rental. Only caught 3 eater walleye and a bunch of 6" sauger.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Knowknot

Sorry to hear about your tough time catching fish. Were you fishing out of a resort house or a wheeled house on your own? I am planning a trip soon fishing out of a resort house.

Knowknot

It looks like your son had fun anyway. Always cherish these days cause they grow up and are gone before you know it....

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      You can say that again.  A statewide limit for panfish should be cut in half.
    • Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1 New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️
    • Rick G
      This is the spot I have chosen...  Second pic is the 22 "winter" access.. It's located about a mile and half south  of Richmond Mn on hwy 22.  Last pic is of the route from winter access to the Fishing spot.  First pic is of actual spot I picked.  From my scouting missions, this seems to be the area with the most active fish.  
    • PSU
      Hello again friends. Island cabin in Frazer / Smarts Bay area. We have used AT and T for many years and usually get decent cell coverage due to cell tower proximity, but as usual get buffering when the lake is busy. That being said, we burn a lot of data streaming tv through our hotspot and computer to a large computer monitor. I am considering buying a 32 inch smart tv, an antennae (not sure which networks would be available) and an Apple TV with storage. By doing this I think I should get local network broadcasts (may even be able to get a cheap portable DVR/ bring Apple tv downloaded from home with content to view non-streamed (no hot spot). Has anyone tried this scenario to save on data and perhaps reduce buffering from a low cell signal?
    • Rick G
      We are about a week and a half out yet... As of now, Ice conditions are very good holding at a little over two feet thick yet, we have about 5 inches of new snow on top of it. Hoping we don't get quite as warm and windy as they are predicting the next week as this will eat the ice quick... I will keep an eye on things and keep updated.
    • monstermoose78
      We got prizes!! Working on a few other things as well
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall.  Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.   Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service. A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st.   
    • Hookmaster
      Averaged 18" with a range of 16"-20". Starting tomorrow I should get out everyday while the access holds up.
    • gimruis
      I am sure there will still be safe enough ice to venture on next weekend.  The forecast looks way more like spring starting tomorrow than winter though.  As far as I can see, its nothing but 40's and even 50 in a week.  Its going to make for a sloppy mess out there, but it will still be safe enough to walk on.  The access point could be in rough shape though.   Bear in mind that most game fish seasons have now closed as of yesterday.  The only season open now is panfish.  Specifically targeting a walleye, northern pike, or bass is illegal and could get you in big trouble.  There are exceptions (mainly on some border rivers), so I would encourage you to check the regulations ahead of time.
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      i skipped the first weekend since 2021.  My kid went out and caught 4 pike sunday.   Shallow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.