• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moisture condensation in insulated Otter fish houses?

jim curlee

I have an old(purple) Otter Lodge.

I'm thinkin about buying a new one with the insulated cover.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on moisture condensation in the newer houses.

Right now with the moderate temps, my old house is way wet on the inside.

Thanks

Jim

I've had a Thermal Otter for a few years now and have had no problems with condensation. It is insane how little it takes to heat it too. 

• Thumbs Up 2
Hookmaster

I've had an insulated house from another manufacturer since 2012. It's awesome. Very easy to heat and has no to minimal condensation.

• Thumbs Up 2
leech~~

I have a Clam Voyager TCX thermo top. Even just having the thermo top was night and day for dripping as compared to my old plan Voyager. 

• Thumbs Up 2
jim curlee

Thanks for the response's, now if I can only find one on sale, for sale, SURE. LOL

Sure do like the side doors, looks way handier than having to step over my holes to get out.

The dog stepped in one of the hole's the other day so he might like the side doors too. LOL 

Jim

Edited by jim curlee
  • Thumbs Up 2
leech~~

Yeah, you may want to get a move on looking as houses are moving. Was in Fleet Farm BP this morning. Looks like a ghost town in their ice fishing area.

• Thumbs Up 2
Wanderer
2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yeah, you may want to get a move on looking as houses are moving. Was in Fleet Farm BP this morning. Looks like a ghost town in their ice fishing area.

All the inventory is on the ice this season!

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

All the inventory is on the ice this season!

Have noticed that since the big wigs own Fleet now. They do "seasonal buys" on items and once its sold out there is no resupplying until next season. They start combining shelving and moving in the summer boating stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2
Wanderer
24 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Have noticed that since the big wigs own Fleet now. They do "seasonal buys" on items and once its sold out there is no resupplying until next season. They start combining shelving and moving in the summer boating stuff.

You’re exactly right.  They have their maximum profits dialed in and to heck with incidental late demand when it comes to that stuff.  This year has amplified that process.  You couldn’t find any popular fishing line in stock in the Baxter store past opener.  It wasn’t even good BY opener.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bought my new Thermal Otter Hub on clearance at REEDs last year.  I'd check there.  I am ordering from them more and more.

I get a touch of dampness when I heat it up, but it definitely doesn't drip like my old canvas Clam flip over did.

• Thumbs Up 1
papadarv

Condensation in portables directly related to the amount of propane used. Each pound of propane burned produces about 1.6 # of water. (1 1/2 pint) Ice melt from heater also adds moisture. Better insulated, less heat & condensation. A floor also greatly reduces moisture. The colder the outside temp the greater visible condensation. At -17 Deg. frost visible in my 949i Eskimo Hub - Big Buddy running on Hi, 18,000 BTU. At 21,600 BTU per pound propane frost in 4 hours on walls and celing. New Otters have excellent insulation, better than my Eskimo.

20210119_131422.jpg.39227bcbde5a2fc823439770037720a9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
Wanderer

Looks like you’re set up VERY well for the northland!

Edited by Wanderer
smurfy

Just curious Jim, how much ching you have to put out for that. I am throwing around the idea of replacing my old uninsulated Dave gentz fish trap. Looking to go insulated and a zipper door.

Really struggling with this as I only use it 3-5 times a winter. My main means of winter fishing includes a spear.

Wanderer

How big of one do you want @smurfy?

I switched from my old Fish Trap uninsulated Voyager to a used Otter 650 last year - insulated roof only.  Smaller and a little tattered but had some adds for $450.  That’s about as low as you’ll see them.  Most of the houses I’ve seen his size run $950 - $1100 used in like new condition, assembled.

The thing with the insulated Otters is they get big and heavy fast cuz they’re built so well.  The 650 is an oversized 1 person/small 2 person that I can manage better but you can’t pack the kitchen sink in it.

smurfy

I don't need a huge one but bigger than a one man. Used my brother's one man once, just not enough room for me and fishing deep with 2 holes is looking for a diseaster waiting to happen.

And I'd really like a zipper door so I don't have to always flip it to get out.

Edited by smurfy
PRO-V
9 hours ago, smurfy said:

I don't need a huge one but bigger than a one man. Used my brother's one man once, just not enough room for me and fishing deep with 2 holes is looking for a diseaster waiting to happen.

And I'd really like a zipper door so I don't have to always flip it to get out.

You don't want to leave any money behind when you die do you? Get an Otter Cabin. Big enough for one guy 2 lines or 2 guys one line each. Enjoy retirement.😊

• Thumbs Up 4
slipperybob

Otter was one of the first shelter to get the insulated material right to reduce condensation and frost build up.

Eskimo is right behind there now with their newer Stormsheild Fabric on their Outbreak XD series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1
      New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️

• opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have noticed that East of Adrian's rd after crossing pine Island a mile or so is a second road that runs closer to the border. Anyone know who it belongs to, there seems to be a great deal of traffic on it and I have looked to see if it comes off Adrian's but can't find how to access it. Does sportmans have one out that way?
    • whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      My buddy was on a dusk / night crappie bite so I joined him for a couple days of fun.  He has been getting increasingly good with a smoker and said he has caught a few whitefish in past years and would love to catch a few for the smoker.  Ironically, on the second day I saw a fish on the Markum a few feet under the ice and I recognized this from other catches as a potential white fish.  I brought it up an nabbed a nice one.  This got me thinking.  Anyone know why white fish cruise so close to the top of the ice?  Do minnows also cruise up high or is this a plankton thing?  Or both?  The crappies were either at 10' or on the bottom at 20'.  We did catch one crappie also at 5' but in two nights of fishing that was the only two fish marking that high.
    • black otter
      By black otter
      Maybe a dumb ? 
      Just got a used tandem axle ice castle. When lowering...which axle pin should be removed first? The one closest to front of fish house, or the one closest to the crank? Or does it not matter? 
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      What’s your rod box. I grabbed a Flambeau today to upgrade since a good buddy made me a 36 inch ice rod. I added foam to the bottom and took out the dividers and it looks like it will work dandy. Got them all in and some boxes for different plastics.  Won’t know till it warms up!  All snug when I close it up. 

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I have boxes of 40 cal HST rounds 50 per box and I am trying to figure out what I should charge from them?
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      Well, hope the title made you look😁. Getting real sick of the frozen tundra feel that has engulfed our neck of the woods the last week.  This kinda weather ain't much fun to be outside for more than a few min at a time... Starting to go a little crazy sitting around instead of being on the ice😒 Anybody making it out? 
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      There are a few organizations out there that offer a lot of fun outdoor fish and hunt trips at no or close to no cost. I have been on a few so thought I would share. Not all are for LEO.   Info on trips is always on FB.  2020 was not as busy but its starting to pick up again. Fishing with Vets.  Hometown Hero Outdoors Community.  Take a Vet Fishing. Time on the Water. We Got Your Six Outdoor Adventures. A lot of great people doing this and have met some really nice people. 
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      Another proposal to ban certain items of lead in fishing tackle has been introduced.  I think this came to a bubble in 2018 when they tried to do it plus banning lead ammo on public lands.  The current proposal does not include ammo (as far as I can tell) and only applies to jigs and sinkers less than 2.5 inches in length.  In 2018 it did not pass.  If passed, it would take effect July 1, 2025.
    • ozzie
      By ozzie
      So now that there are many options out there, what are people thinking on the new electric augers?  I have been impressed with the drill attached augers that I have used this year and also the Strikemaster 40v electric auger.  For next year I will certainly be investing into one of these options as they are so powerful, quiet, and dont use gas!!!  I now have used a kdrill and Strikemaster drill attachments and both are nice but the strikemaster rips throught the ice faster than the kdrill IMO.  I love how I don't need to worry about gas spilling onto by ice suit and don't need to worry where the exhaust is!!  The one thing I found using a drill is they are very powerful and that you do not want to stop mid hole and try to restart as you may end up with a broken arm the way the thing grips!!!! (Lucky I didn't break my arm!)  It appears Millwaukee and Dewalt are the most common Drills I have seen used for the auger attachments.  I am leaning towards a drill attachment combo rather than one of the electric models as I just don't see the reason why I would go that route and have an auger that can only be used for an auger where the drill set up I still have a powerful drill to use on projects around the house.

What are some pro's and con's you all have come up with since using the electric augers and or the drill attachments augers opposed to a gas auger?

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      When the resource gets depleted and there aren't anything left but stunted panfish in our lakes, the anglers responsible for this will start barking at the DNR, claiming that they didn't do enough or barking that the muskie or catfish ate all of them.  When in reality, the only people to blame are standing in the mirror.  Just a matter of time...
    • ozzie
      I have kids.  I take them fishing and taught them that the point is to enjoy your surrounding and the time had rather than the meal that could be.  I rarely, maybe once every couple years do I keep a meal of sunnies, and as for crappies I will keep a meal occasionally, but when I do I do not keep anything over 12.5" and try to stay between 10-12.5"  all over and under go back to keep growing.  I certainly am glad they are regulating panfish more but I wish they would have placed a slot on bigger sunfish and crappies...something like 1 over 9" on sunfish and 1 over 13" for crappies.  Just a thought.
    • Hookmaster
      From Vados Bait's website for waxworms:   Check and remove any dead every other day at a minimum. We recommend storing your waxies at about 43-49 degrees. When fishing try to keep them about the same temp and out of the direct sun light.   For Eurolarva/spikes/maggots: Very easy to keep. Refrigerate at about 33-35 degrees. In general this might be a little cooler than most people keep their home refrigerator so you may want to use another refrigerator that you can dial down a little colder. Check the bait every two to three days, pick out and throw away any dead.
    • rschmidty
      Royal Dutchman just went live on FB like 15 minutes ago at what appears to be the Pelland or maybe it was Coot's? They were 9 miles west of IF's. Open water extends west. Not sure how far though. Looks like small boats could be pushed out.  
    • Wanderer
      Don’t let them freeze.  Easier said than done.
    • Wanderer
      Now remember, you said I could give you a hard time! 😉   So much of the pressure these days is recreational, not subsistence.  I’m gonna assume most consider their catch a bonus or treat rather than a need these days.  Most spend more money to catch their own than it would cost to buy it.  Again, most...   Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. 🙂
    • eyeguy 54
      The group released about 150 so far 😁🐟🐟
    • ozzie
      well i finally pulled the trigger and found a strikemaster lite flight 8" and will paired it with a milwaukee fuel m18 2804.  the set up came with 2 5amp batteries so hope that gets me what i need!  going to get out tomorrow and rip this around the lake and hopefully make swiss cheese of it!
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      so much for feeding the family, you all seem to be in the boat of just keep a few.   Well i got 6 kids who gotta eat to.   So if I'm by myself, you can bet its in the pail if I can legally keep.   Give me a hard time if you want i dont care i follow the laws/rules/slots.   After talking to a DNR fishery personnel, a 28" walleye most likely not even spawning anymore, but the 22-26 inch ones are supporting the fishery, so releasing the giants only helps 1 fish.   Much less if i have kids with, try telling a 5 or 7 year old you have to throw that back, specially sunnies.   5 sunfish is ridiculous, let the kids go on the dock of some lakes and then tell them 10 minutes later, you are done because you got 5, time to play xbox.   No wonder less people are fishing, i used to go mil lacs once a year, but cant even justify the cost of fuel if you cant keep a fish.   But keep increasing the license cost, more regulations its confusing and makes me wonder if its worth it.     
    • rundrave
      I buy the big butter dish sized containers every year full of waxies. The one I have now I bought in December and I am  still using the same waxies out of that same purchase. The only thing I can think of is the little small plastic containers are too air tight and they die?   The butter dish I have has several holes poked in the lid so maybe they can breath better in that dish and end up lasting longer? I get a few that went bad on me but for the most part the entire container is still usable. Its a much  better deal to buy in bulk and use them the entire year than buy the little containers each trip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.