• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing overnight In your popup.

Austin12345

Does anyone hear have any experience overnight fishing in your popup any tips or tricks or anything like that?

Ya I have a battery powered co detector and my buddy heater has automatic safety shut off I was thinking if I crack a window and use a fan to keep the air circulating I would be fine.

Ya, keep some fresh air going and having safeties is a plus.

Do you plan to settle in and sleep or just fish hard and maybe doze off?

I’ve attempted it before but lucked out and found out I was getting CO poisoning before I fell asleep.  Bring a cot and a stocking cap plus a bath rug if you don’t have a floor.  It’ll make seeping and getting your footwear back on more comfortable with the heat turned down.  Have some sort of audible bite detector if you’ll keep lines down.  Make sure your shack is visible to snowmobilers from all sides in the dark. Otherwise enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have used a heater buddy in a tent when hunting and in my van as well as a old Alaskan camper in past years while deer hunting! I've 2 of them and they worked well and very trustworthy. 

I have one installed in my new 6x8 wheeled fish house. I have not used the fish house yet however I have run the heater with a brand new Co2 detector for several hours and I haven't had a problem!

Bob

• Thumbs Up 1

I should add that I always would keep a window or a vent of some kind open while using the buddy heaters!

Done it several times. In the bed of my truck also. Lay a tarp down. It will cut moisture some and you will have a dry place for stuff. Have a pad on your cot as it will get pretty cold below you. I have a computer fan I rigged to run off a depth finder battery. Hang it by the ceiling and it will keep the heat distributed. Will run about 4 days on a charge. Small fire extinguisher is a good idea. Like the others said make sure you have enough air.

Edited by PRO-V
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I use my Big buddy in my Clam Voyager ice fishing and love it. But there is plenty of air vents and leaks for fresh air. 

This fall I built a camper out of a cargo trailer for hunting and hauling my ATV. I spent the first weekend scouting using my buddy, with the roof vent and window cracked.  I could really smell it and had a bit of a headache by the second night. I have a very good sleeping bag, so I shut off the heater and slept great the rest of the night at 25 degrees in my bag.

After that weekend before Deer Hunting I installed a Nu way 3000 vented heater. It was the best decision I made. No smell, nice clean dry air and can sleep with my bag open.  Worked great in the tight trailer.  I do have a CO detector in there and it never went off but I was not feeling very good that first weekend.

I know you aren't going to put a vented stove heater in your popup it was just an example of the differences. I've slept out on Mill Lacs in a 4X8 canvas porty with a sun heater a few times when I started out and I'm still alive. Just a little brain damaged! ?

122893692_352780205828670_2384631174851396549_n.jpg

Edited by leech~~

Good stuff guys I have a foam floor mat the covers the whole bottom of my quick fish 3 Eskimo popup. I got a whole setup now with a fold able table rattle reels and the whole get together should be fun.

• Thanks 1

What devices are you guys using for CO detectors? Just regular one from a house that’s battery operated?

13 hours ago, Robert Kaliszewski said:

have run the heater with a brand new Co2 detector for several hours and I haven't had a problem!

I’m assuming you mean CO?  Carbon monoxide.  Make sure you get the right one CO, not CO2 which is carbon dioxide.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

What devices are you guys using for CO detectors? Just regular one from a house that’s battery operated?

I’m assuming you mean CO?  Carbon monoxide.  Make sure you get the right one CO, not CO2 which is carbon dioxide.  

Ya I get my gases mixed up! I bought 2 recommended detectors  at the same time, they were recommended for campers and fish houses.  Got one for the fish house and one for the toy hauler camper!

I still think one would be wise to keep a vent or window open while using any type of invented heater. Here is a picture of the small wheeled fish house I put together this summer. I need one that I can bring my ATV with as I can no longer walk very far.

20201117_135450.jpg

Edited by Robert Kaliszewski
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Robert Kaliszewski said:

I bought 2 recommended detectors  at the same time, they were recommended for campers and fish houses. 

Got any links or more info on these?

They are the "code one CO detector" battery operated. They are sold just  about everywhere,  but I got a set of 2 pack off ebay. Prices do very, so shop around. 

I posted the type that I bought but it looks like it needs to be approved before it can be seen or something.  I'm not sure how this all works as I got some kind of a message when I posted it and on my end it says it is hidden? 

19 hours ago, Robert Kaliszewski said:

What lake and how thick is the ice?

Be cautious about posting lake names with a good bite.  That's how they get hammered.  Just sayin'.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does anyone have any knowledge/tips on how to prevent condensation in your pop up? Would a little battery powered fan help at all?  

38 minutes ago, Austin12345 said:

Does anyone have any knowledge/tips on how to prevent condensation in your pop up? Would a little battery powered fan help at all?  

That’s pretty much a fact of life without more air exchanges.  You have to exhaust all the moisture out which is tough to do sitting on ice over open holes with tracking snow in and out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh thanks that is kinda what I thought the only problem I have when I am out the whole night in my shack is really all the condensation and everything gets wet. Do some of the thermal insulated portables help lessen the condensation at all does anyone know?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Yes they lessen it some but it still happens 

1 hour ago, Austin12345 said:

58 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

That’s pretty much a fact of life without more air exchanges.  You have to exhaust all the moisture out which is tough to do sitting on ice over open holes with tracking snow in and out.

1 pound of propane produces 21,591 BTUs. A gallon of propane is 4.2 pounds and 91,500 BTUs and produce .81 GALONS of water. (Thats a gallon water container 80% full). At -10 degrees F in an insulated Clam 6 pack or Eskimo 949i you will need to run your Big Buddy on high, 18,000 BTU to get 60 deg. temp. As per Wanderer you need to vent the Big Buddy exhaust out of the Hub which is not possible to maintain a desired hub heat. At -10 or colder outside temp the moisture inside becomes quite visible. In 5 to 6 hours inside will be totally covered

100_5403.thumb.JPG.dbf74415f8f93d73e081539f403b7aa5.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

I have had an issue with moisture during deer hunting in my toy hauler camper and in the fall when we need to start running heat. It is a heavy duty type of toy hauler built like a construction trailer by Forest River and isn't well insulated. 

I converted a small dehumidifier that was running off a wall wart type plug 9 volt 3 amp (if memory serves me right) to run from a 12 volt battery with the voltage reducer. I of course carry a generator to recharge the batteries!  

This is the set up that I'm talking about,  except for the ATV! In 2018 I replaced it with a new 2018 Polaris 450 sportsman. 

20170930_091502.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Ive heard of people sleeping in their pop ups... they have rubber matted flooring they put in under the cot, not 100% what they do with heater.  My guess is they have a 20 lb tank hooked up to a buddy heater

I think that a good sleeping bag but no heater is the best solution. A good knit hat and a warm sleeping bag are safer than anything else. I use the Big Buddy when I use my portable but would not trust it or the alarms with my life. My two cents. 

Nice walter you caught there Austin. I wouldn't share the lake name as others said. For the ten of us or so that are actively posting in this thread, I have no doubt that there are a hundred people lurking and reading. Without shame they will go to the lake and fish it out. 

I was out on a west metro lake this weekend. There was a solid 10 inches of ice. Plenty of snowmobiles and wheelers out, with tire tracks from larger vehicles but no sign of them. Ice is still a bit iffy for my blood to drive on, but thick enough for everything else. The ice is better down here than where I was up north!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit pricey but nothing I would skimp on. Used to be on our medical first in bags when I was a firefighter paramedic. Not what we used on natural gas calls as those pick up multiple gasses besides CO. These were if we got paged out for an unconscious patient, walk in not knowing it was due to CO and not just cardiac or a diabetic. They are loud and battery life lasted well over a year just constantly on

https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/bw-carbon-monoxide-bwc2-m-gasalert-extreme-co/

• Thumbs Up 2

Kettle-I like the idea of this. Looking to get my 10 year old son and I out to stay in the hub this winter. Thanks!

Edited by 1Crappieguy
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 1Crappieguy said:

Kettle-I like the idea of this. Looking to get my 10 year old son and I out to stay in the hub this winter. Thanks!

One can never be too safe! I would have done just about anything if my father would have taken me out for an overnight on the ice at age 10. Great way to make memories! If you go definitely take some pics, post them on here and let us know how the adventure went!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1